Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Borders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Borders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Borders - 7/22/2013 9:16:23 PM   
lando005

So I have a question, I finally have a compelling game going just how I like it but there is one issue, one of my neighboring empires has colonized a system that cuts a path straight through my territory. I want to try to talk with them first since they are a utopian society but I don't see a way of warning them to withdraw from the system. I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions about how I can go about communicating my concerns with them.
Post #: 1
RE: Borders - 7/23/2013 12:09:33 AM   
Starke

Yeah, it's one of the limitations of the DW diplomacy system - unless one of their bases is located inside your territory border, you can't request anything be done about it - and the AI requests completely exorbitant costs to hand over even the facilities inside your borders, so it's always far better to ignore them or destroy them via sabotage.

Unless you're willing to go to war over it, the only things you can do are hamper the colony by declaring trade sanctions and blockading it (doesn't really help anyone IMO because assuming you want to eventually take it over your just hurting its growth), offering a pirate attack contract against it (but again, if anything this'll probably make the enemy empire assign more ships close to your border), use your spies to periodically sabotage construction at the planet and any spaceports they build, or... just live with it there - at least it'll facilitate trade between the both of you if you're friendly, and makes an easy target should you go to war if you're not.

Beyond that, all I can say is I hear it used to me much worse. Before one of the earlier expansions, borders weren't in the game at all, and anyone could build anywhere. =P

(in reply to lando005)
Post #: 2
RE: Borders - 7/23/2013 2:10:03 AM   
lando005

So its either play the heel and attack an otherwise peaceful empire, or live with the disrespect of them colonizing in my territory

(in reply to Starke)
Post #: 3
RE: Borders - 7/23/2013 2:10:21 AM   
Tehlongone

My usual solution to that is to just order a fleet to bombard the planet. They'll typically only have 30-60 million on the planet so it'll die quick, and they will take less offense about it than if it was bigger.

I've several times had them not declare war on me for doing that (just the once of course), and if they DO declare war it counts as aggression from their part, not yours. It does hurt your reputation significantly though, but what the heck, it heals pretty quickly. I think you'd be surprised how little your reputation is affected though, but doing that to a 2.5 billion formerly independent colony did have an impact.

Oh and you can also drop an invasion without prior war declaration, though it seems they get more aggressive about that, or maybe it's just my impression. I've had them not declare war though, but they became pretty mad and we eventually fought, but I think I could have salvaged our relations.

< Message edited by Tehlongone -- 7/23/2013 2:14:08 AM >

(in reply to Starke)
Post #: 4
RE: Borders - 7/23/2013 1:26:20 PM   
Jeeves

I just had the Ikkuro try to take one of my colonies without their declaring war, so undeclared conquest of colonies is part of the game. The only drawback to having another empires colony in your territory is that it pulls population off your homeworld as emigrants. I don't worry about their doing it to me because I have a habit of doing it to them. Since I pay with victory conditions of 95% of 95/95/95 income, population, and territory, it makes no difference where they colonize because I'll eventually have everything LOL.

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to Tehlongone)
Post #: 5
RE: Borders - 7/23/2013 3:31:04 PM   
Tehlongone

If their colonies attract enough of your colonists to form a majority you could probably arrange a peaceful (well empire-wise) uprising with them either going independent or declaring loyalty to you.

I've also experienced the AI attacking a colony without war declaration, and he then asked me to leave his (formerly my) territory no less! It's pretty rare though.

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 6
RE: Borders - 7/23/2013 3:59:41 PM   
Canute

quote:

one of my neighboring empires has colonized a system that cuts a path straight through my territory.

This path don't mean much. Its a trade route for their private ships.
You can ignore this more or less, no need to start a war for this.

(in reply to Tehlongone)
Post #: 7
RE: Borders - 7/23/2013 9:11:39 PM   
lando005

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canute

quote:

one of my neighboring empires has colonized a system that cuts a path straight through my territory.

This path don't mean much. Its a trade route for their private ships.
You can ignore this more or less, no need to start a war for this.

Prehaps you're right about this, The system was unclaimed to start with, and I've decided that turn about is fair play so I set my sights on a system within their borders. I'm also hesitant to start a war seeing as I'm still new to this game and I'm not sure how the AI will respond, I'm still used to space empires, not sure about the tactics the AI uses here.

(in reply to Canute)
Post #: 8
RE: Borders - 7/24/2013 6:46:22 AM   
Starke

Planets that reside within another empire's influence circle cannot be colonized within declaring war first, unless that planet is home to an independent colony, just FYI. Whatever the exact situation is, I wish you luck!

(in reply to lando005)
Post #: 9
RE: Borders - 7/24/2013 1:42:19 PM   
lando005

The planet in question wasn't in my area of influance it was on the other side of my space.

(in reply to Starke)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Borders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI