Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/22/2013 6:58:31 PM   
jeffk3510

Turn 15 results

As you can see, the assault succeeded. Moved my furthest south commander into view of the remaining victory hex to spot for artillery. Let's hope doesn't get killed during the turn.

Sitting in great shape now. Going to mop up the remaining infantry platoon and try and kill his artillery spotter (Greyhound) Going to dig in along the ridge, but not on the edge in sight of him. Going to strengthen SW, NE portions, and the hill itself is pretty strong.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 61
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/23/2013 7:02:08 PM   
jeffk3510

Turn 16 results

Marc's indirect fire was surprisingly bad. His Greyhound unit that was spotting can only see my closest units, and he must have tried hitting areas he thought I was in..poor decision.

The map started out the same as turn 15 ended.

I killed the leader to the north and destroyed all but 2 men in the inf platoon that retreated over the hill and out of sight. Moved up three inf platoons that have enough AP left to fire during his turn. I will also dig them in there for the duration of this scenario. Moving the third one more SW towards the last victory hex.

Moved the units that you see furthest out front by the destroyed Greyhound. Moved them forward and fired from the side, finally destroying his Greyhound. This unit moved up and attacked a commander of mine without any damage and retreated back to the wreck.

Moved a couple more inf platoons into range of the mortars and fired, only disrutping them. Nothing else.

All available off-board artillery has zeroed in on the same victory hex I have been targeting. One of the units is unavailable this turn. This happens from time to time.

Turn sent to Marc

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 62
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/24/2013 12:29:56 PM   
Crossroads

I followed Jeff's AAR here to see how it all ends up
quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Cool explanation.

It was indeed. This is a wonderful little engine I keep going back again and again.

Like said about the turn lengths, it mostly depends on the size of the scenario. Opposition turn replays take time, I often watch them on 2D view to speed up things, then play the game in 3D view as Jeff does here.

Little Bn size scenarios are fun to play, I am working on a Regimental size scenario at the moment with two Regts per side. It is a lot of fun, the game scale really nicely emphasize the independent bn organization, with support units to enable it to have clear intention in the game.

And with Regts, with two Bns deployed into front and one as a reserve you can nicely fill a 25 to 30 turn scenario with action from the word Go until the end.

The largest scenarios, Corps sized for an example, can make for fantastic team games if PBEM is your thing. With each player having a separate command, team dynamics for both side come to play.

Anyway, I am rambling here... Looking forward to see more turns posted here!

Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam | CS: East Front 1939-1941 IN-THE-WORKS
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 Fully reimaged v2.0 available now!

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 63
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/24/2013 3:29:36 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

I followed Jeff's AAR here to see how it all ends up
quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Cool explanation.

It was indeed. This is a wonderful little engine I keep going back again and again.

Like said about the turn lengths, it mostly depends on the size of the scenario. Opposition turn replays take time, I often watch them on 2D view to speed up things, then play the game in 3D view as Jeff does here.

Little Bn size scenarios are fun to play, I am working on a Regimental size scenario at the moment with two Regts per side. It is a lot of fun, the game scale really nicely emphasize the independent bn organization, with support units to enable it to have clear intention in the game.

And with Regts, with two Bns deployed into front and one as a reserve you can nicely fill a 25 to 30 turn scenario with action from the word Go until the end.

The largest scenarios, Corps sized for an example, can make for fantastic team games if PBEM is your thing. With each player having a separate command, team dynamics for both side come to play.

Anyway, I am rambling here... Looking forward to see more turns posted here!

Thanks for stopping in.

I never thought about playing a team game in the larger scenarios. That would be a lot of fun.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 64
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/24/2013 3:33:59 PM   
jeffk3510

Marc and I are about to start a small scenario WiTPAE game...I think Guadalcanal...He wants to take on the Japs so he can wear his Japanese WW2 hat.. hahaha

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 65
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/24/2013 6:56:36 PM   
jeffk3510

Turn 17 initial

This turn was pretty quiet..my artillery disrupted, killed a few, and forced his mortars to retreat in the victory hex he controls at the start of this turn.

Going to move units more to the front and cover a wider area, and prepare for his reinforcements. Scenario mentions this and Marc said he has units headed my way...no idea which direction, so I am going to play it safe and cover the majority of the choke points.

Pathers arrived this turn.. going to put them on the hill for now, and on the major highway. This will allow for rapid re-deployment if necessary.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 66
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/24/2013 6:57:38 PM   
jeffk3510

Turn 17 results.

An infantry platoon and it's carrier arrived with the Panther's commander as well.
Going to move them arround and dig in units.

Turn sent to Marc.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 67
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/24/2013 7:43:59 PM   
Crossroads

Looks like you are on a roll there :)

Read your other AAR you have on your siggie. Wow. Talk about serious commitment. My hat off to you guys!

---

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 68
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/24/2013 7:48:36 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

I never thought about playing a team game in the larger scenarios. That would be a lot of fun.

Oh, this one. You just have to give it a go. Pick a few guys you've played before with, that you enjoy having banter with, and know that they won't disappear. Then form the teams, find a nice scenario, and get it on. Team games are an absolute blast!

---

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 69
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/25/2013 6:32:14 PM   
jeffk3510

Turn 18.

Very quiet. Marc's mortars to the NW retired. He also moved his inf platoon and leader back north again, out of sight. They can't apporach my lines with out getting destoryed. It would be suicide without armor and artillery support, which he has the later...it was just ineffective as he doesn't havea visual on it.

Going to start digging in all of my troops. Moving two MGs to the north part of the hill to cover the approaches there and cover the hole.

Reinforcements arrived. Another eng platoon and Pather platoon. Moving them up to similar positions. The two engineer platoos will help the MGs dig in quicker.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 7/25/2013 6:34:09 PM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 70
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/25/2013 6:36:10 PM   
jeffk3510

Turn 18 final positions.

Moved a commander to the edge of the ridge by the trees to help spot for my artillery and any oncoming units. I want to find his mortars and destroy it...but I won't go crazy about it trying to find it. Moved the MG platoons like I mentioned, as well as the reinforcements up to the main line. Digging in and preparing for the countertrust that may come.

Indirect fire established. The ones to the north are the extent of that unit's range...so hopefully his inf platoon is still in range.

Turn sent.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 7/25/2013 6:37:13 PM >

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 71
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/27/2013 6:19:06 PM   
jeffk3510

Turn 19

Marc fired a few rounds of artillery, but did nothing.. he must have thought I was advancing as his shots were way in front of my lines.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 7/27/2013 6:29:17 PM >

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 72
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/27/2013 6:22:05 PM   
jeffk3510

Moved up the engineers to start digging in troops, and fudged up one of them. I moved him around too much and can't unload him this turn...two turns away from using him.. One turn to unload, the next to start digging in. Onlyl units with 100% APs can dig in at the start of the turn.

Moved one Panther platoon closer to the front, allowing them to cover a wider area, but still react on the major highway.

I then moved a commander forward, and was notified I couldn't advance any further as enemy units were present on the road I was trying to move through (A)...very odd place for units to be, but maybe Marc is trying to turn my flank...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 7/27/2013 6:30:01 PM >

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 73
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/27/2013 6:27:15 PM   
jeffk3510

I moved a Panther platoon back to help (A) cover the approach (B) to the VP hex if he tries a frontal assault. The units in the VP hex can see/fire all the way to (C) if he tries to move during his turn, he should get blasted. Also moved in an inf platoon that was in one of the other VP hexes further back on the hill...trap set.

HOWEVER, if he moves trough the trees to the south and up the dirt road by the mines, I need to move my batallion/regimental HQs out of sight...I'll leave one each turn, while the other moves. This will ensure that I am always able to provide supply, as an HQ unit that has moved during the previous turn is unable to provide supply during the current turn. He only has eight turns to pull anything off...and he did tell me last night over the phone that he has a few tricks up his sleeve for me.

Artillery fire set for the recently discovered enemy hex...only one artillery unit this turn...the other two are unavailable at this time.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 7/27/2013 6:32:40 PM >

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 74
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/30/2013 7:32:02 PM   
jeffk3510

Turn 20:

Very uneventful.

He bombarded one position with no casualties...it was an empty hex.

He does have a new infantry unit appear. A 2 strength inf platoon (A)...not going after it. I will let it come to me.

Will move the last eng platoon up, to help dig in the MG platoon that doesn't have any cover.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 75
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 7/30/2013 7:34:02 PM   
jeffk3510

Turn 20 results

Indirect fire established around the newly discovered inf platoon, and at the same area I discovered enemy units last turn. (South)

Engineer units in place (A) to dig in the troops with the highest need for cover, and (B) will be next, as it is a forest right now, thus providing more cover to the two inf platoons than a grass hex (A).

I did move the two Btn sized HQs further northeast, as I don't want them destroyed if he is in fact moving down and south.

On to Marc

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 76
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/1/2013 5:13:50 AM   
jeffk3510

Turn 20 action

Very good turn for the Axis troops.

Marc moved up an infantry platoon and leader (A) and they were fired on instantly by my dug in troops that had plenty of AP saved up to fire during his turn.

You can see the devestating results below.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 8/1/2013 5:18:19 AM >

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 77
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/1/2013 5:16:48 AM   
jeffk3510

Turn 20 action

Marc then tried to move some Sherman tanks (A) up to take my position. He must not of discovered the Panther tank platoons when he moved his infantry, or I doubt he would have moved into them head on. You can see the results from my tanks firing after he fired on my inf platoon.

Him firing on the inf reinforces my thought that he wasn't aware I had tanks. FOW is a good thing

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 8/1/2013 5:18:35 AM >

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 78
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/1/2013 5:23:30 AM   
jeffk3510

Turn 21 results

My actual turn was fairly uneventful.

Marc moved his Shermans back out of sight, and he left his leader and inf platoon where it was in the last screen shot. I fired once from each inf platoon in the nearest VP hex. The first inf platoon disrupted and killed two men, while the second platoon wiped them out.

Short ranged artillery indirect fire established in the are his Shermans retreated to. Longer ranged artillery is firing in random areas that his artillery fire is appearing to come from. I won't be able to tell if I hit anything as it won't show results during the action phase. I'll have to check the scenario strength...much like you check the opp/ground air losses to see if you sank enemy CVs.

turn sent to Marc

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 79
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/7/2013 2:04:15 PM   
jeffk3510

The scenario is pretty much done for all intents and purposes..Marc has a 1 strength Sherman platoon and a 2 strength inf platoon....we've just been exchanging artillery fire back and forth each round and I've dug in more troops.

Fun scenario...seems pretty heavily favored on the Axis side of things...which was to be expected given the historical background to the scenario.

Ill post the final victory screen.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 80
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/7/2013 8:04:54 PM   
jeffk3510

Turn 24:

Marc moved up the one infantry unit..I believe all he is doing is spotting...just artillery exchange again. No damage for either sid.e

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 81
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/7/2013 9:38:37 PM   
nashvillen

What's bad is I find myself hovering over you units in your post to see their status...

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 82
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/7/2013 10:24:59 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

What's bad is I find myself hovering over you units in your post to see their status...

Haha, yeah!

Are you enjoying your purchase?

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 83
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/8/2013 11:36:03 AM   
Crossroads

Looks like a done deal there, I would hate to march up the slopes against your dug-in troops!

I had a quick look at the Blitz scenario Db, and it seems this one is quite unbalance (as you said yourself too). I find it useful to look at a specific scenario statistics there, when selecting a PBEM game to play. Especially if a scenario has a lot of games logged for, you can usually then trust the statistics. Just saying.

Nice AAR, keep them coming!

---

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 84
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/8/2013 11:38:17 AM   
Crossroads

Looks like a fun and different scenario though, with dense fog and a visibility of only two hexes. Very difficult to predict what lurks out there if one fails to recon the surroundings...

---

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 85
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/8/2013 2:33:26 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

Looks like a done deal there, I would hate to march up the slopes against your dug-in troops!

I had a quick look at the Blitz scenario Db, and it seems this one is quite unbalance (as you said yourself too). I find it useful to look at a specific scenario statistics there, when selecting a PBEM game to play. Especially if a scenario has a lot of games logged for, you can usually then trust the statistics. Just saying.

Nice AAR, keep them coming!

We did before we started...we both thought his fixed units would be "released" half way through or so..

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 86
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/8/2013 2:34:30 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

Looks like a fun and different scenario though, with dense fog and a visibility of only two hexes. Very difficult to predict what lurks out there if one fails to recon the surroundings...

That was very difficult with the fog..it's harder to position units for ambush and long shots...

We played the Burma Road a vew scenarios ago, and it was brutal. A night scenario, with only one-hex visibility.

Thanks for the comments.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 87
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/8/2013 2:35:55 PM   
HansBolter

Just wanted to apologize for the confusion I brought to the thread earlier. You were absolutely correct that this games does have an edge scrolling map. I was mixing it up with another old classic I had loaded up on a DOS platform I built last year for old parts, The Three sixty Pacific V for Victory series Utah Beach.

Seeing this thread lead me to reinstall this game and get started on two of my favorite campaigns. Rommel's Spearhead and Guadalcanal. I prefer the linked campaigns. You go from one scenario to the next with a core battalion that only gets a few replacements between scenarios. Pretty soon you find yourself struggling to fight with heavily attrited platoons.

Great game!

Hans

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 88
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/8/2013 3:22:35 PM   
Schanilec

This scenario is pretty much over now, just a couple of moves left. It was brutal. Started out as a pretty good fight but when the minefields failed to do anything at all it was over. Reinforcements were late and few; the other units were in fixed positions and unable to help. 'Death on Skyline Drive' pretty much sums it all up. And so it goes. Still great fun. On to the next scenario.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 89
RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) - 8/8/2013 7:58:29 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Just wanted to apologize for the confusion I brought to the thread earlier. You were absolutely correct that this games does have an edge scrolling map. I was mixing it up with another old classic I had loaded up on a DOS platform I built last year for old parts, The Three sixty Pacific V for Victory series Utah Beach.

Seeing this thread lead me to reinstall this game and get started on two of my favorite campaigns. Rommel's Spearhead and Guadalcanal. I prefer the linked campaigns. You go from one scenario to the next with a core battalion that only gets a few replacements between scenarios. Pretty soon you find yourself struggling to fight with heavily attrited platoons.

Great game!

Im in one campaign in West Front with my armoured battalion that has maybe 5 Sherman platoons with each strength 1 hahaha

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI