Matrix Games Forums

Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All Wars
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Newbie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie - 7/9/2013 9:14:54 PM   
xnavytc

Hi Everyone,

Just got the game and the two expansions, doing ok so far. I play WITP AE and TOAW and have started to enjoy this game a lot as well. I'm playing the tutorial in BTFB and the two tactical exercises in the Greek expansion, and have a quick question about the bridge unit in the tactical exercise. There is a creek to the northeast of the objective and motorized can not cross, but I cant get the bridge unit to build a crossing there. I just keep getting the beep (u cant move there) sound, what am I doing wrong? Again, glad I found this game, cant wait to play some of the more challenging scenarios.

TC ET1(SS)
Post #: 1
RE: Newbie - 7/9/2013 10:28:31 PM   
jimcarravallah

quote:

ORIGINAL: xnavytc

Hi Everyone,

Just got the game and the two expansions, doing ok so far. I play WITP AE and TOAW and have started to enjoy this game a lot as well. I'm playing the tutorial in BTFB and the two tactical exercises in the Greek expansion, and have a quick question about the bridge unit in the tactical exercise. There is a creek to the northeast of the objective and motorized can not cross, but I cant get the bridge unit to build a crossing there. I just keep getting the beep (u cant move there) sound, what am I doing wrong? Again, glad I found this game, cant wait to play some of the more challenging scenarios.

TC ET1(SS)

Check the equipment making the move to the chosen location, and the terrain's ability to support it's movement.

The "you can't move there" notice indicates that units depending on motorized transport can't traverse the route to the selected location because the routing doesn't allow travel by vehicles.

There's a tool for reviewing routing. Use the "Path / MOT" on the tools menu to find a route allowing motorized transport to the location.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to xnavytc)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbie - 7/10/2013 7:09:28 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

Hi Everyone,

TC ET1(SS)

You should be able to issue a Build Bridge order to the Bridge Engineer unit, by clicking on a spot within 500 meters of the crossing icon and in the right side of the creek.

Welcome to Command Ops - a quite different world to TOAW

Nullius in Verba since February 2013 - http://panthergames.com
-----
Life in the Internets: http://steamcommunity.com/id/mvorkosigan
----
I'm a real person as well: http://au.linkedin.com/in/miguelramirezjavega

(in reply to xnavytc)
Post #: 3
RE: Newbie - 7/10/2013 5:29:07 PM   
xnavytc

thanks for the answers, is a different world from toaw.

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
Post #: 4
RE: Newbie - 7/18/2013 12:13:04 AM   
jimcarravallah

quote:

thanks for the answers, is a different world from toaw.

TOAW was my all time favorite until I discovered Matrix' marketing for Command Ops.

One frustration with TOAW was the requirement to manage each unit while maintaining cohesion among organizations, particularly difficult when the scenario OOBs weren't designed for much cooperation among friendly formations.

The beauty of Command Ops is the operational commander can manage subordinate units with insight into unit health / strength and unit commander strengths and weaknesses or structure task groups for micromanagement of global assignment.

Not too different from battlefield management where the top commander can attach and detach individual units from formations to function at his, or his chosen subordinate's discretion to attain operational goals.

Couple that with the refined movement / path determination, unit formation, supply management, and fire discipline decisions, and the game becomes even richer for the grognard interested in operational management than what was available with TOAW.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to xnavytc)
Post #: 5
RE: Newbie - 7/18/2013 9:08:03 AM   
phoenix

Watch out for those brigade attack scenarios, Xnavytc. As I posted recently, I was having difficulty getting anything other than a marginal defeat on them (actually got a draw twice since then) - then someone kindy pointed out to me that they have to be 'the dumbest scenarios in there' (I think those were the words) as all your units are mounted (as allies)and there's no dismount code in the engine, which means you will find it very hard to occupy the objective, as the terrain up there is impassable to wheels. The objective circle is very wide, of course, and you have arty - so it might be theoretically possible to get your units into those parts of the objective circle which are passable to wheels (the lower slopes), then dislodge the enemy footsoldiers sitting pretty on the high ground above you using indirect fire. But I haven't managed that. Let me know if you can!! More likely, this scenario is very odd. If you use scenmaker to swap out your rangers for the NZ foot troops in the OOB (in scenmaker) then the scenario becomes more realistic and achieveable. Just a thought.

Be nice - given the wheel problem - if someone (Bletch?)could let us in on the idea behind this scenario design?

< Message edited by phoenix -- 7/18/2013 9:09:37 AM >

(in reply to jimcarravallah)
Post #: 6
RE: Newbie - 7/18/2013 6:24:34 PM   
simovitch

The origins of the 'Brigade Attack' scenarios is before even my time. I think they were intended to be quickie little COTA scenarios to try out the mechanics. I can get a draw on the day attack fairly easily, but any type of victory does indeed seem allusive. There's a challenge for you phoenix!

BFTB made it more difficult for motorized to negotiate steep slopes so that may have thrown off the balance a bit.

simovitch

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 7
RE: Newbie - 7/19/2013 12:39:22 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

Yeah, I'm quite a noob when it comes to trace scenario lineage, Phoenix.

In most COTA maps you'll see that contour lines intervals are considerably higher than what you find on the Netherlands or Belgium maps. So a map that looks "similar" to a Dutch or Belgian map, will actually be portraying much steeper slopes. Generally speaking, is very bad country for heavily motorized units - they'll be confined to roads at the bottom of valleys. As far as I know, that's quite a theme in the Spring 1941 campaign for Greece.

Dismounting capabilities is something in the TODO list - it's going to happen, sometime. In the meantime, one thing that would work nicely is to modify the estab introducing "dismounted" versions of the forces involved (I think you're already doing something similar). That would indeed account well for motorized infantry leaving behind their trucks, etc. provided the scenario is short enough (1 or 2 days).

Regarding VP locations: if you want the scenario to present more varied results, break down objective areas into smaller ones. That should broaden and diversify considerably the possible resulting outcomes.

Nullius in Verba since February 2013 - http://panthergames.com
-----
Life in the Internets: http://steamcommunity.com/id/mvorkosigan
----
I'm a real person as well: http://au.linkedin.com/in/miguelramirezjavega

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 8
RE: Newbie - 7/19/2013 8:51:23 AM   
phoenix

Thanks Simovitch and Bletch. Confirms what I thought, I think - for these scenarios you really have to swap out some motor units for foot in the scenmaker to get them to work well. For anyone finding that too difficult (might involve reading the manual, if you haven't used scenmaker before!) then an easier alternative would be to use scenmaker to drag the single VP point down to the road, or the road bridge behind the hill. That makes sense too, strategically, since it's actually the road that the allies are after, not the hill, it's just that the hill commands it. If you drag the VP down to the road bridge behind the hill then you will at least be able to occupy it if you can get your forces past the hill. Might be a tad easy then to win. Will try.

By the way, can anyone tell me how I would upload a file here - attach it to a post, I mean - then I could slot in the changed scenario, in case anyone interested. I can only see buttons to allow you to attach a picture. I've never posted a file before.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 7/19/2013 8:58:11 AM >

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
Post #: 9
RE: Newbie - 7/19/2013 10:59:29 PM   
Agent S

.zip the file; rename it .txt and upload using post reply rather than the fast reply option.
then mention you renamed it so the process is reversed by the downloader.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 10
RE: Newbie - 7/19/2013 11:48:49 PM   
wodin

I think dismounts are currently the biggest issue the engine has. Once it is in game it will be a huge game changing feature. Infact for me it's the No1 feature I'd like to see come around.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Agent S)
Post #: 11
RE: Newbie - 7/20/2013 9:02:18 AM   
phoenix

Thanks Agents S.

But that doesn't seem to work. The uploader detects that it's really a zip file, not a txt.

I'll ask the question in tech support, maybe.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
RE: Newbie - 7/20/2013 1:59:57 PM   
Fishbreath

I gave it a try with a battalion of New Zealand foot infantry instead of the motorized Rangers, but it was still a little tough: the attack went well up until the Germans fell back on the top of the hill, at which point it became a battalion-on-battalion throwdown between an even number of New Zealanders with artillery support and German mountain infantry with a mortar team. I ended up inflicting 10-1 casualties (lost 47 vs. 450 captured or killed), but in large part, that happened when the tanks were in combat, before the Germans moved all the way up the hill.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 13
RE: Newbie - 7/20/2013 9:41:46 PM   
phoenix

I changed the VP to the bridge behind the hill and added in the NZ foot troops (kept everything else), got a Decisive Victory - so that was too easy. Am now tinkering with keeping the VP on the hill, and adding one on the bridge (equal points between them), plus adding the foot troops. You're right, Fishbreath, the slog on the hill is hard to win with a Bn v Bn situation (and in the night attack variant it's always that because the tanks have no visibility up to the battleground atop the hill at night, so take no part).

< Message edited by phoenix -- 7/20/2013 9:42:20 PM >

(in reply to Fishbreath)
Post #: 14
RE: Newbie - 7/25/2013 8:20:41 PM   
phoenix

Have uploaded my two altered files for the day and night time scenarios, in the Mods section.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 15
RE: Newbie - 8/14/2013 12:22:29 PM   
SapperAstro

Just tried your files. Much better.

Any chance these can be opted in to the game proper next patch? That way I won't have to remember to put them in every time I have to reinstall the game.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 16
RE: Newbie - 8/17/2013 11:45:51 PM   
NoxNoctum

edit: nevermind I see it's been covered

< Message edited by NoxNoctum -- 8/17/2013 11:52:58 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 17
RE: Newbie - 8/18/2013 9:35:48 AM   
phoenix

Glad you like, SapperAstro.

(in reply to NoxNoctum)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Newbie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI