New modern equipment file - download here !

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Alpha77

New modern equipment file - download here !

Post by Alpha77 »

Hi, I wanted to do some modifications on equipment as explained in another thread. However I found out that a quite good WW2 file already exists. It can be found as equipment file for the "ANZIO 44" scenario. And probably somewhere for seperate download (I dont know the d/l link tho) [:)]

-> I advise anyone who wants to make scens in the future to use this one for WW2 and Korea timetable as it is much more detailed and reasonable than the file that comes with the vanilla game.

But were can I find the "modern" one (ca. 1960 - 2010) ? I also read in another forum someone was working on it. Maybe it is as good as the WW2 one, so I dont need to do my own editing. Any advise or download link ?
josant

RE: "Modern" equipment file (good WW2 data already exists info in this topic where!)

Post by josant »

hello, if you dont know this, in the following link you have 3 files of equipment data

https://sites.google.com/site/headquart ... t-database

The modern file have some modern equipment, but under my point of view some values of the database are wrong. you can test it and see if it is valid for you.
JA
Alpha77

RE: "Modern" equipment file (good WW2 data already exists info in this topic where!)

Post by Alpha77 »

Thanks, already scanned that file and it seems to be ok. Its more detailed and MUCH more realistic than the orig. TOAW data. Needs only some tweaks.

So now we need to remind/beg to all scenario designers that they make use of the WW2 file I told above and this modern file (with some tweaks I will do). Cause the orig. TOAW data is unbearable to play with...can designers host these files with scens ???????????? PLEASE [&:]

@ Josant: Can you give a brief overview of which values you find wrong ??? (in the modern file) THANKS

I guess the increasing AT values for the SAME gun system in MBTs represent better ammo and fire control ! While in orig. data it seemed to be only concerned about the gun caliber (like the 120/L44 was rated weaker than the russian 125... but in most cases 120/L44 is still better - this is the gun used in M1 and Leo2).

This is the same method I made use of in my database while notresulting in so high difference like in this file...I found out for example the T55 gun had weak ammo to begin with, but got a good heat round eventually. Still this never warrants the pen of 40 in the orig data - the M1/Leo2 gun had an initial pen of 40 (of course kinetic) too in the orig. data. This is impossible IMHO....only one example. The same goes for LEO1A5 - he was very weakly rated in orig. data, but LEO1A5 got almost the same fire control as early LEO2 as an update ! Also Canadians and Danes gave armor updates to him, so he should also have a better protection vs. HEAT in the latest version of these countries.

EDIT: I just forgot about the capability of russian 125mm to fire missiles.... the question is how effective this system is and how much tanks are fielded with the missiles ? Cause I read that this is very expensive and only a portion of most modern tanks in the Russian arsenal were fielded with the missiles.....
Shazman

Post by Shazman »

WTF. This is all subjective. Merely an opinion. Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one. [:D][:D][:D]

r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Alpha77
Thanks for your input! I just opened the Anzio 44 equipment file- you are right. The values are much closer to what we would expect. I am working on a mod of Brett Turner's excellent Two Weeks in Normandy. I would like incorporate it, and continue to use is for future mods and scenarios...Is there a consensus for the best WWII equip mod?

Kunz, HPTM
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
josant

Post by josant »

ORIGINAL: Alpha77
@ Josant: Can you give a brief overview of which values you find wrong ??? (in the modern file) THANKS

The first thing is the high Anti air values of airplanes and SAM (for example a SA-2 has 2013). This database is a modification of a one created for "century of warfare", who have a bug with the AA combat and with those AA High levels appear to work fine.

For Tanks i thing that some AT/armor values are not appropiate. The same for AFVs/APCs

Towed guns are generic and dont have his real name (example replacing 105mmGun by L118,M119, etc)

ATGMs also need a rework.

And more

All those things are under my point of view and as Shazman says This is all subjective. Merely an opinión.

JA
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: HPT KUNZ

Alpha77
Thanks for your input! I just opened the Anzio 44 equipment file- you are right. The values are much closer to what we would expect. I am working on a mod of Brett Turner's excellent Two Weeks in Normandy. I would like incorporate it, and continue to use is for future mods and scenarios...Is there a consensus for the best WWII equip mod?

Kunz, HPTM

You cannot use the Anzio eqp right away as I edited artillery ranges and aircraft ranges. Goes for the 1km and for the 2km version.

The basis for the Anzio eqp file was Derek Weichs WWII database, which can be downloaded here: http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.p ... le&id=1064

There is another WWII database by Bill Wilson and Wilhelm Klave I used it for Nijmegen, but again please don't use mine as i modified ranges etc. Available here: http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.p ... le&id=2116
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Telumar,
Great job on Anzio 1944, as the associated equipment data base. Herr Oberst kindly pointed out the range issues, although the 1-2km range scale may work out well for a mod of Brett Turner's excellent Two Weeks in Normandy v3.
Thanks for attaching references to the other databases. I have not had much experience using scenario-specific data bases, and Herr Oberst is tutoring me on the subject.
Stay tuned.

signed
KUNZ, HPTM
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Telumar,
Great job on Anzio 1944, as the associated equipment data base. Herr Oberst kindly pointed out the range issues, although the 1-2km range scale may work out well for a mod of Brett Turner's excellent Two Weeks in Normandy v3.
Thanks for attaching references to the other databases. I have not had much experience using scenario-specific data bases, and Herr Oberst is tutoring me on the subject.
Stay tuned.

signed
KUNZ, HPTM
Drop me a line what the new project is all about; I am also assisting Onkel Larry with a modified .eqp for his version of Barbarossa '41. I can adapt the whole .eqp for the 1936-1945 period.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

Telumar,

Courtesy Derek Weichs aka Panzer_War. He made the database. Iirc TWiN (yeah, i like abbreviations!) is at a 1.5 km per hex scale, so you will have to modify ranges. Better start with the original of Derek Weichs database - be sure to check for shell weight with artillery and morter pieces - i found some issues back then, i believe there were several guns with shell weigt=zero.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

i believe there were several guns with shell weight=zero.

What the ... [X(]
josant

Post by josant »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
i believe there were several guns with shell weight=zero.

What the ... [X(]

Yes this is true, some SP mortars have a Shell weight=0 (for example a MT-LB 120mm SP Mortar have a Shell weight=0 while a 2s23 or 120mm towed mortar have a Shell weight=25)
JA
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Well ain't that a revoltin' development.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: josant

The first thing is the high Anti air values of airplanes and SAM (for example a SA-2 has 2013). This database is a modification of a one created for "century of warfare", who have a bug with the AA combat and with those AA High levels appear to work fine.

For Tanks i thing that some AT/armor values are not appropiate. The same for AFVs/APCs

Towed guns are generic and dont have his real name (example replacing 105mmGun by L118,M119, etc)

ATGMs also need a rework.

Thanks for the explanation why those AA values are so high, I thought it was some kind of error. Planes are quite ok though.

Already gave other values to the SAMs (this was of course much guesswork, but we need to wait for the aa bug to be resolved anyway before serious testing) and corrected some more small things. Also added some stuff. But I dont think we need seperate guns, the genericones work good enough - there would no place anymore anyway to add much more stuff. Also "harmonized" some plane ranges, so players might have it easier to combine some plane types in the same units. Those values might be not realistic, but still will ease the play and creation of scens. Ex: I gave the 3 MIG21 types all the same range, they might differ slighty in reality..

Will upload this file later, question is do I need to ask the orig. creator of this file for permission ? [&:]

Also noted this eats to much time in my case, I will just use my updated file without further modification as basis for my WW3 scen (might not be perfect but still way better than the orig. TOAW data). If someone with more time wants to look over it - would be ok. But noticed most ppl on here are more into pre Korea stuff anyway, so the modern data is maybe not of so much interest. Anyway it seems for WW2 there is not a big problem anymore with the file(s) described above, so MATRIX just need to resolve the 2-3 serious bugs in TOAW and we can design away (I dont believe they will put out a patch anymore tbh, but this bugfix at least SOON!)
josant

Post by josant »

Alpha77, I use this modified equipment; is a file that i was reworking/correct since toaw century of warfare

http://www.mediafire.com/download/sp3tt ... ipment.zip

I dont remember all changes but the most importants are:

The entire database is revised, for example:
a. Self Propelled Guns And mortars:
- Add shell weight to SP mortars (depending their caliber)
- MT-LB - 120mm SP Mortar orginal range was 5 have made it 8 like the other 120mm Mortars

b. Rocket and Missiles
- Revised targeting and AT strenght
- Correct Scaleboard, Scaleboard 2 date
- Some systems like AT-7 are now airborne

c. Reconnaissance Vehicles, Transport Vehicles
- Revised all vehicles to put or quit the recon or transport characterist (for example Panhard M3 APC now has transport capability) of the item and their correct AT,AP,AA value acording with their weapons.

d. Tanks, Anti tanks vehicles
- Revised year of introduction
- decrease AT Strenght of St.Chamond,MkVIII, Schneider
- decrease armor of T-13, T-15, AMX-30
- increase armor of Challenger 2
- Arjun is now composite armor
- Khalid is not laminate armor, only standart+reactive
- Revised AT,AP,AA values value acording with their weapons.
- etc

e. Helicopters,Fixed wing
- Change range in some aircrafts
- Some interceptor aircraft have AT strenght and the game treats them as fighters. I put AT=0 and AP=0 and the game treats them as interceptors

f. Some changes that i dont remember

g. in the New Equipment folder
- Add new or old equipment that not comes with the original database for example Leopard 2(late),israelí azcharit, nagmachon, russian Kornet ATGM, or newest equipment like german Puma IFV, south korean K2 tank, russian Yak-130, etc

The database is exactly as the original but corrected (under my point of view extracting the data from osprey new vanguard books, other military book or from the Wikipedia), the new modern equipment is in new equipment folder, so if you load a scenario that was created under the original database equipment you will get a error message that you can ignore it because the structure of the database is the same.
JA
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Hi, will take a look at your file.

But it seems "my" file works ok after some testing.....

BTW: Some of the worst mistakes I found in orig. database (out of memory)

- MIG 21 had too high AA value, was almost as good as F16s

- Alpha Jet and SU25 waaay too low range (they barely could take of fly around a bit and then needed to return to base, but were not combat worthy with this low range)

- T72s had AT value of 40 while LEOPARD 2 also had 40 (while M1 with the SAME gun had 60 [&:] lol Maybe cause M1s uses DU munitions? But tungsten is not that far behind really.

The Leo2 A4/A5 should be higher or the T72 lower. Only the very latest T72 model can compete with LEO2/M1/Cha2 etc. Even if the 125gun of T72 is "on paper" (for non experts) better than the 120mm of said modells. But firecontrol, ammo and muzzle velocitiy are better for the 120mm. Also made a T72 "export" model - Russia mostly sold downgraded stuff to countries they dont trusted that much (like Iraq - this is also why their T72s werent that much worth vs. M1 and Co., however the Syrian T72 seem to do better against this kind of "rebel" force, at least they are reliable and the armor is ok). Revised the M1 modells too, some guesswork of course, like also Challenger2 - but you are correct their armor should be higher.

- German LARS was the absolute killer in orig TOAW file. It should be yes to a degree, but not that high - it couldnt be much better then the MLRS which is a 10 years later development and should be deadlier. I lowered the LARS value a bit and increased MLRS, not dramatical tho. Cause MLRS already has a much better range and the launch vehicle also better proteced and more mobile compared to the LARS (which was merely a MAN6x6 truck [8|])

- Some vehicles were amphibious that should not be. I never heard the Wiesels were amphibious, but they were air droppable / air mobile. Otherwise the PT76 AMPHIB light tank, did not have the trait "amphib" in the orig. file [X(]

- I wonder if both SU27 and F15 should be pure fighters (interceptors) ? Thoese were made for air superiorty mainly. However of course F15s also dropped bombs on Iraq during desert storm, cause there were not much enemy fighters left to shoot down or they dont even got into the air.
josant

Post by josant »

BTW: Some of the worst mistakes I found in orig. database (out of memory)

- MIG 21 had too high AA value, was almost as good as F16s
- Alpha Jet and SU25 waaay too low range (they barely could take of fly around a bit and then needed to return to base, but were not combat worthy with this low range)
in other post have been discussed formulas for calculating the values of AT,AP,armor of the equipment (copy and paste from other post)

The AT value used in the Second World War database was the penetration of the round at a range of 500 meters and an obliquity of 30 degrees, as expressed in centimeters. I have since learned the TOAW AT rating is supposedly for a strike at a range of 1-2 Km and an
obliquity of 0 degrees, so I may use that for the modern DB.

The AP values are more complex:
Looking at some of the AP values used, multiplying high-end rates of fire by the HE projectile weight in kilograms comes close to the listed values, so AP=ROF x projectileweight(kg-)for example:
1. HMG. AP=27. I've made a guess that this equipment represents an M2 HMG, i.e. the'50-Cal'. Janes shows the projectile weight of a ball projectile for that weapon as .04601Kilograms. If one divides that into 27, or 27 / .04601, the result is about 587. Janes shows the cyclic ROF of the M2 as ranging from 450 to 600 rpm.

The armor of the tank is asumed to be his frontal turret armour expresed in centimeters. for example T-55 is about 200mm thick so in the game have a armor rating of 20. But In a publication that i read time ago notes that in the Second World War the average percentage of impacts in the tanks was 2/3 in the turret and the remaining third in the hull. For example T-55 again; turret have 200mm and hull may be 190 so 220x(2/3)+190x(1/3)=196 so in the game bust be 19 instead of 20

But the AA values is a total mistery, only Norm Koger knows what formulas does he use to make this values.

- And yes Mig-21 have high AA values, but also J8,J8-II,cheetah,kfir have high AA values while Mig-31 have low AA Values. The late mig-21 carries 4 AA-2 missiles (the oldets only 2 missiles), and the Mig-23 carries 4 AA-2-2 missiles, then appears more modern missiles like AA-8 but in the database those aircraft appear in the 1970`s, so the Mig-21 must have the same AA value as Mig-23 and as defense value i would put the value of the oldest Mig-21 that is 29.
The combat radius of aircraft varies according to the number of bearing arms or their misión type, so you can search in the web what are the most accurate combat radious of Su-25, Alpha jet. May be aproximately 400-500 Km.
- T72s had AT value of 40 while LEOPARD 2 also had 40 (while M1 with the SAME gun had 60 lol Maybe cause M1s uses DU munitions? But tungsten is not that far behind really.

T-72 in the game is available from 1972, in this year the soviets have BM-17 round (Steel) that have a penetration of 31cm at 2km
T-72 (improved) available from 1977, in this year the soviets have BM-22 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 43cm at 2km
T-80 (late) available from 1988, in this year the soviets have BM-42 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 52cm at 2km
and from 2000 the russians have BM-42M round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 65cm at 2km
Leopard 2 (from 1979)in this year the germans have DM-13 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 39cm at 2km
Leopard 2 (improved may be Leopard 2A4?) (from 1987)in this year the germans have DM-33 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 59cm at 2km.
and from 1996 germans have DM-53 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 70cm at 2km
M1, M1 improved Abrams uses a 105mm Gun
M1A1 (from 1985) in this year the US have M829 round (depleted uranium) that have a penetration of 55cm at 2km
M1A2 (from 1992) in this year the US have M829A2 round (depleted uranium) that have a penetration of 73cm at 2km
Challenger (from 1983)in this year the UK have L23 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 45cm at 2km
Challenger (from 1994)in this year the UK have L26 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 53cm at 2km
Leclerc (from 1992)in this year the french have OFL120F1 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 59cm at 2km

Acording with this values, considering the year of introduction, the database is quite accurate. Other thing is the optics (Targeting) of the tank, which I think is wrong (the Soviets have always gone behind Western systems). acording whit this table

Targeting+ high magnification (5x or greater) or stereoscopic rangefinder
Targeting++ coincidence or stadiametric rangefinder
Targeting+++ passive night sights, image intensification, improved FCS,etc.
Targeting++++ laser rangefinder+FLIIR+FCS digital, etc

I will change the targeting values of T-72 (improved), T-72 (late), T-72S, T-64 (late), T-62 (late), T-80, T-80 (late), T-90,type 79, Type 80, Type 85, Type 90II, From Targeting++++ to Targeting+++ ( you can find in the web or in books what type of optics uses each equipment to put the correct value)
- German LARS was the absolute killer in orig TOAW file. It should be yes to a degree, but not that high - it couldnt be much better then the MLRS which is a 10 years later development and should be deadlier. I lowered the LARS value a bit and increased MLRS, not dramatical tho. Cause MLRS already has a much better range and the launch vehicle also better proteced and more mobile compared to the LARS (which was merely a MAN6x6 truck

Yes it is strange considering that the Germans changed it by the MRLS in 1990`s, maybe because Lars has 32 rockets while MLRS just 12
- Some vehicles were amphibious that should not be. I never heard the Wiesels were amphibious, but they were air droppable / air mobile. Otherwise the PT76 AMPHIB light tank, did not have the trait "amphib" in the orig. file
Yes the database have minor bugs like this, you can edit whit the equipment editor, things that those are the things that i have corrected in my equipment file.
- I wonder if both SU27 and F15 should be pure fighters (interceptors) ? Thoese were made for air superiorty mainly. However of course F15s also dropped bombs on Iraq during desert storm, cause there were not much enemy fighters left to shoot down or they dont even got into the air.

Those two aircraft also can be use in fighter ground attack. To convert a aircraft into interceptor only set the AT and AP values to 0 and the game treat them as interceptors.
JA
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Good info, however Ill pass on all the AP/AT calculations I wanna have fun with this game and not do mathmetics [;)] But a bit maybe for the rocket launchers:

MLRS can fire 12x28 AT2 mine rockets = 336 1 rocket has 28 submunitions
LARS can fire 36x 8 AT2 mine rockets = 288 1 rocket has 8 submunitions

Main reason for MLRS to was much better range and better fire control, but as you can see it also has more punch......at least reg. mine submunitions. So LARS in orig file had something like 1080 (!) Ap, but MLRS 744. There is no basis for these values AT ALL, as you can see. We could now also look at the other launchers like BM24/21 etc. but it would take alone 2 weeks to reseach these properly of course I pass. But the LARS/MLRS case was just the one that jumped my eye as obvious and unrealistic in the rocket department of TOAW..........[>:]

MLRS ammo info

M26: Rakete mit 644 M77-Hohlladungs-Bomblets. Reichweite 32 km.
M26 (AT2): Rakete mit 28 AT2-Panzerminen mit Magnetzünder. Reichweite 38 km.
M26A1 (MLRS-ER): Rakete mit 518 M85-Hohlladungs-Bomblets. Reichweite 45 km.
M26A2 (MLRS-ER): Wie Rakete M26A1, aber mit 518 M77-Bomblets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cuzL5gBW8I
(BW film which quite funny at some way - like the soldiers talk)

BTW: I also noted SOME SP ARTY and SP MORTAR had no shell weight in orig file [X(]
Any reason for this or oversight? I corrected all this to the same value of non SP weapons, guess as it should be....
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Ground war seems decent with my testing scen, however air war kinda sucks. I attack with planes en masse, none of the planes got shot down by AA. Even if i use specialized AA units (ex they have Gepards, Roland, Stinger etc. and on the other side Shilkas, Strelas etc.), these rarely do anything. I stacked 3 AA units together with inf to see how much protection this gives, but the attacker (75 GDR SU22) lost only 1 plane. Same on the other side, 50 Tornados attack, lose 1 plane. 72 A10 attack lose no plane.

Will shelve this project untill some fixes in game are made.

I also wonder if AAA lethality switch works at all, it was at 100 first, then 300 lastly 500 - but seemed to have no effect. Maybe it is only for WW2 type AA [&:]

Ahhhhh.... I know now its clear that most (older) normal AA gunes wont work vs. fast modern jets... see this video for example (reaction time would be way too low too shoot them down with normal AA [;)])

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzoa8EZd ... 166CE1B036

So you need fast reaction bigger cal AA with very good radar and/or good AA missiles too shoot those down......guess the modern AA is really a science for itself. Better I´ll skip otherwise I will get eaten up in research of this topic [:-]
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I also wonder if AAA lethality switch works at all, it was at 100 first, then 300 lastly 500 - but seemed to have no effect.

I also ran a test on this some time ago, eventually moving it to the highest setting and recorded very little difference. This test was with WWII equipment.

Return to “Scenario Design”