BTW: Some of the worst mistakes I found in orig. database (out of memory)
- MIG 21 had too high AA value, was almost as good as F16s
- Alpha Jet and SU25 waaay too low range (they barely could take of fly around a bit and then needed to return to base, but were not combat worthy with this low range)
in other post have been discussed formulas for calculating the values of AT,AP,armor of the equipment (copy and paste from other post)
The AT value used in the Second World War database was the penetration of the round at a range of 500 meters and an obliquity of 30 degrees, as expressed in centimeters. I have since learned the TOAW AT rating is supposedly for a strike at a range of 1-2 Km and an
obliquity of 0 degrees, so I may use that for the modern DB.
The AP values are more complex:
Looking at some of the AP values used, multiplying high-end rates of fire by the HE projectile weight in kilograms comes close to the listed values, so AP=ROF x projectileweight(kg-)for example:
1. HMG. AP=27. I've made a guess that this equipment represents an M2 HMG, i.e. the'50-Cal'. Janes shows the projectile weight of a ball projectile for that weapon as .04601Kilograms. If one divides that into 27, or 27 / .04601, the result is about 587. Janes shows the cyclic ROF of the M2 as ranging from 450 to 600 rpm.
The armor of the tank is asumed to be his frontal turret armour expresed in centimeters. for example T-55 is about 200mm thick so in the game have a armor rating of 20. But In a publication that i read time ago notes that in the Second World War the average percentage of impacts in the tanks was 2/3 in the turret and the remaining third in the hull. For example T-55 again; turret have 200mm and hull may be 190 so 220x(2/3)+190x(1/3)=196 so in the game bust be 19 instead of 20
But the AA values is a total mistery, only Norm Koger knows what formulas does he use to make this values.
- And yes Mig-21 have high AA values, but also J8,J8-II,cheetah,kfir have high AA values while Mig-31 have low AA Values. The late mig-21 carries 4 AA-2 missiles (the oldets only 2 missiles), and the Mig-23 carries 4 AA-2-2 missiles, then appears more modern missiles like AA-8 but in the database those aircraft appear in the 1970`s, so the Mig-21 must have the same AA value as Mig-23 and as defense value i would put the value of the oldest Mig-21 that is 29.
The combat radius of aircraft varies according to the number of bearing arms or their misión type, so you can search in the web what are the most accurate combat radious of Su-25, Alpha jet. May be aproximately 400-500 Km.
- T72s had AT value of 40 while LEOPARD 2 also had 40 (while M1 with the SAME gun had 60 lol Maybe cause M1s uses DU munitions? But tungsten is not that far behind really.
T-72 in the game is available from 1972, in this year the soviets have BM-17 round (Steel) that have a penetration of 31cm at 2km
T-72 (improved) available from 1977, in this year the soviets have BM-22 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 43cm at 2km
T-80 (late) available from 1988, in this year the soviets have BM-42 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 52cm at 2km
and from 2000 the russians have BM-42M round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 65cm at 2km
Leopard 2 (from 1979)in this year the germans have DM-13 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 39cm at 2km
Leopard 2 (improved may be Leopard 2A4?) (from 1987)in this year the germans have DM-33 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 59cm at 2km.
and from 1996 germans have DM-53 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 70cm at 2km
M1, M1 improved Abrams uses a 105mm Gun
M1A1 (from 1985) in this year the US have M829 round (depleted uranium) that have a penetration of 55cm at 2km
M1A2 (from 1992) in this year the US have M829A2 round (depleted uranium) that have a penetration of 73cm at 2km
Challenger (from 1983)in this year the UK have L23 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 45cm at 2km
Challenger (from 1994)in this year the UK have L26 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 53cm at 2km
Leclerc (from 1992)in this year the french have OFL120F1 round (tungsten) that have a penetration of 59cm at 2km
Acording with this values, considering the year of introduction, the database is quite accurate. Other thing is the optics (Targeting) of the tank, which I think is wrong (the Soviets have always gone behind Western systems). acording whit this table
Targeting+ high magnification (5x or greater) or stereoscopic rangefinder
Targeting++ coincidence or stadiametric rangefinder
Targeting+++ passive night sights, image intensification, improved FCS,etc.
Targeting++++ laser rangefinder+FLIIR+FCS digital, etc
I will change the targeting values of T-72 (improved), T-72 (late), T-72S, T-64 (late), T-62 (late), T-80, T-80 (late), T-90,type 79, Type 80, Type 85, Type 90II, From Targeting++++ to Targeting+++ ( you can find in the web or in books what type of optics uses each equipment to put the correct value)
- German LARS was the absolute killer in orig TOAW file. It should be yes to a degree, but not that high - it couldnt be much better then the MLRS which is a 10 years later development and should be deadlier. I lowered the LARS value a bit and increased MLRS, not dramatical tho. Cause MLRS already has a much better range and the launch vehicle also better proteced and more mobile compared to the LARS (which was merely a MAN6x6 truck
Yes it is strange considering that the Germans changed it by the MRLS in 1990`s, maybe because Lars has 32 rockets while MLRS just 12
- Some vehicles were amphibious that should not be. I never heard the Wiesels were amphibious, but they were air droppable / air mobile. Otherwise the PT76 AMPHIB light tank, did not have the trait "amphib" in the orig. file
Yes the database have minor bugs like this, you can edit whit the equipment editor, things that those are the things that i have corrected in my equipment file.
- I wonder if both SU27 and F15 should be pure fighters (interceptors) ? Thoese were made for air superiorty mainly. However of course F15s also dropped bombs on Iraq during desert storm, cause there were not much enemy fighters left to shoot down or they dont even got into the air.
Those two aircraft also can be use in fighter ground attack. To convert a aircraft into interceptor only set the AT and AP values to 0 and the game treat them as interceptors.
< Message edited by josant -- 7/14/2013 9:04:00 AM >