Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!War in the West Wacht am Rhein AAR Deal of the Week Panzer Corps: Allied Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it worth upgrading?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Is it worth upgrading? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it worth upgrading? - 7/6/2013 12:56:27 PM   
Fascist Dog

I was tinkering around with this after a long, long lay-off this afternoon. Previously, I had been playing with Persistent APs and found the missions generally too easy to win on the first playthrough. I really was hoping for more challenge when I moved up from the Tutorial missions but it really wasn't that much tougher back at the start. However, I decided to go with the Classic APs option this afternoon and found the experience to be much better, more interesting and victory harder to achieve.

Because I haven't been playing this for a long time, my game is completely out of date. I got the first 1GB+ patch installed a while back but that's it. There's no board-game view for example. So, I've been thinking about buying Ghost Divisions to upgrade the game. How is this module? I know it adds more missions to the menu but are they challenging without being overly-hard like Monsters! was? Or is it really just aimed at the H2H player market?

I bought this to have something relatively simple to play but challenging and requiring some thought to get a win playing against the AI. I have some ideas for scenario and campaign construction that might make for a more interesting experience for the single player. Are missions/campaigns reasonably easy to construct? I found the editor to be a tad obscure back at the start too but I believe there have been some imporvements. I'd really like to craft a campaign if it's easier to do nowadays.

< Message edited by Fascist Dog -- 7/6/2013 12:57:01 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/7/2013 6:00:39 AM   
Fascist Dog

Well, I guess I chose a bad time to post my question(s) seeing as how it's the holiday season and so close to the 4th July so let me re-phrase this in the hopes of getting a bite. It's almost a given that I'll pick up Ghost Divisions at some point so will I need to install any patches before/after I buy it or will Ghost Divisions do all that for me? Since I have Classic APs working, I'm obviously patched up as of last year. Is this enough?

< Message edited by Fascist Dog -- 7/7/2013 6:01:08 AM >

(in reply to Fascist Dog)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/10/2013 2:53:11 AM   
Fascist Dog

well, as expected, I picked up Ghost Divisions on Sunday afternoon. It's not a small download so I grabbed one of the recommended Download Managers and after three hours waiting, got a corrupted file. Stuff happens. So I waited until Monday to try again in the office as it was late on Sunday evening. The file was finally downloaded and compiled yesterday evening and so I took the module back home with me and tried to install it this morning. Guess what? I need the 1.30 update to play GD and that's another whacking great 1.5GB download. So I'm still waiting. I can't wait to see these new maps. I guess this is why the downloads are so massive.

Post #: 3
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/10/2013 12:36:22 PM   
Blond_Knight

The 1.30 update should be in the ConflictofHeroes-GhostDivisions-130.exe. If your not updated to 1.30 it halts the install and says it must first install the 1.30 update THEN it installs the GD expansion.

Edit: Make sure you also get the ConflictofHeroes-Hotfix-v131.exe. This corrects a CTD when the AI plots artillery.

< Message edited by Blond_Knight -- 7/10/2013 12:38:18 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/11/2013 4:03:09 AM   
Fascist Dog

Finally, a bite :) I've literally just finished getting the game upgraded and read your post before starting it up to see the new maps and there's a hotfix to be applied? Can you point me in the right direction to pick it up?

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/11/2013 4:55:19 AM   
junk2drive

Post 13

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3348041

Post #: 6
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/12/2013 1:08:33 AM   
Fascist Dog

Heh, thanks for the link. Downloading it now.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 7
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/12/2013 2:48:47 PM   
Fascist Dog

Played around a bit after I got the hotfix installed before going to work this morning and I must say, I really like the board view. This will be my prefered play-style from now on. I'll play through a couple of missions over the weekend and who knows, I might start getting to work with the editor. I've got some scenario/campaign ideas that might work ;)

Post #: 8
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/12/2013 3:39:26 PM   
Blond_Knight

I actually prefer the default non-board view. I think it shows the terrain better. But the editor is actually pretty easy to use. I like being able to assign different scripts to different units. And even if you don't know C# you can create your own AI_scriptlist's in notepad by using their pre-defined functions.
The only things I don't like is that its a little hard to understand adding large areas in the Region editor, and if you want to give units a custom name and skill level you have to add them through the Reinforcements editor.

Post #: 9
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/12/2013 7:39:29 PM   
Ratzki

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight
I actually prefer the default non-board view. I think it shows the terrain better. But the editor is actually pretty easy to use. I like being able to assign different scripts to different units. And even if you don't know C# you can create your own AI_scriptlist's in notepad by using their pre-defined functions.
The only things I don't like is that its a little hard to understand adding large areas in the Region editor, and if you want to give units a custom name and skill level you have to add them through the Reinforcements editor.

I agree, the non-board look is my view of choice. Nothing against the graet looking artwork but the ability to make my own maps easily is a huge plus that the board-game look just does not have.
Same goes for the editor. While for the most part it is easy to use, the region editor os a bit of a pain.

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Is it worth upgrading? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI