Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it worth upgrading?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Is it worth upgrading? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it worth upgrading? - 7/6/2013 12:56:27 PM   
Fascist Dog

I was tinkering around with this after a long, long lay-off this afternoon. Previously, I had been playing with Persistent APs and found the missions generally too easy to win on the first playthrough. I really was hoping for more challenge when I moved up from the Tutorial missions but it really wasn't that much tougher back at the start. However, I decided to go with the Classic APs option this afternoon and found the experience to be much better, more interesting and victory harder to achieve.

Because I haven't been playing this for a long time, my game is completely out of date. I got the first 1GB+ patch installed a while back but that's it. There's no board-game view for example. So, I've been thinking about buying Ghost Divisions to upgrade the game. How is this module? I know it adds more missions to the menu but are they challenging without being overly-hard like Monsters! was? Or is it really just aimed at the H2H player market?

I bought this to have something relatively simple to play but challenging and requiring some thought to get a win playing against the AI. I have some ideas for scenario and campaign construction that might make for a more interesting experience for the single player. Are missions/campaigns reasonably easy to construct? I found the editor to be a tad obscure back at the start too but I believe there have been some imporvements. I'd really like to craft a campaign if it's easier to do nowadays.

< Message edited by Fascist Dog -- 7/6/2013 12:57:01 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/7/2013 6:00:39 AM   
Fascist Dog

Well, I guess I chose a bad time to post my question(s) seeing as how it's the holiday season and so close to the 4th July so let me re-phrase this in the hopes of getting a bite. It's almost a given that I'll pick up Ghost Divisions at some point so will I need to install any patches before/after I buy it or will Ghost Divisions do all that for me? Since I have Classic APs working, I'm obviously patched up as of last year. Is this enough?

< Message edited by Fascist Dog -- 7/7/2013 6:01:08 AM >

(in reply to Fascist Dog)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/10/2013 2:53:11 AM   
Fascist Dog

well, as expected, I picked up Ghost Divisions on Sunday afternoon. It's not a small download so I grabbed one of the recommended Download Managers and after three hours waiting, got a corrupted file. Stuff happens. So I waited until Monday to try again in the office as it was late on Sunday evening. The file was finally downloaded and compiled yesterday evening and so I took the module back home with me and tried to install it this morning. Guess what? I need the 1.30 update to play GD and that's another whacking great 1.5GB download. So I'm still waiting. I can't wait to see these new maps. I guess this is why the downloads are so massive.

Post #: 3
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/10/2013 12:36:22 PM   
Blond_Knight

The 1.30 update should be in the ConflictofHeroes-GhostDivisions-130.exe. If your not updated to 1.30 it halts the install and says it must first install the 1.30 update THEN it installs the GD expansion.

Edit: Make sure you also get the ConflictofHeroes-Hotfix-v131.exe. This corrects a CTD when the AI plots artillery.

< Message edited by Blond_Knight -- 7/10/2013 12:38:18 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/11/2013 4:03:09 AM   
Fascist Dog

Finally, a bite :) I've literally just finished getting the game upgraded and read your post before starting it up to see the new maps and there's a hotfix to be applied? Can you point me in the right direction to pick it up?

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/11/2013 4:55:19 AM   
junk2drive

Post 13

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3348041

Post #: 6
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/12/2013 1:08:33 AM   
Fascist Dog

Heh, thanks for the link. Downloading it now.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 7
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/12/2013 2:48:47 PM   
Fascist Dog

Played around a bit after I got the hotfix installed before going to work this morning and I must say, I really like the board view. This will be my prefered play-style from now on. I'll play through a couple of missions over the weekend and who knows, I might start getting to work with the editor. I've got some scenario/campaign ideas that might work ;)

Post #: 8
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/12/2013 3:39:26 PM   
Blond_Knight

I actually prefer the default non-board view. I think it shows the terrain better. But the editor is actually pretty easy to use. I like being able to assign different scripts to different units. And even if you don't know C# you can create your own AI_scriptlist's in notepad by using their pre-defined functions.
The only things I don't like is that its a little hard to understand adding large areas in the Region editor, and if you want to give units a custom name and skill level you have to add them through the Reinforcements editor.

Post #: 9
RE: Is it worth upgrading? - 7/12/2013 7:39:29 PM   
Ratzki

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight
I actually prefer the default non-board view. I think it shows the terrain better. But the editor is actually pretty easy to use. I like being able to assign different scripts to different units. And even if you don't know C# you can create your own AI_scriptlist's in notepad by using their pre-defined functions.
The only things I don't like is that its a little hard to understand adding large areas in the Region editor, and if you want to give units a custom name and skill level you have to add them through the Reinforcements editor.

I agree, the non-board look is my view of choice. Nothing against the graet looking artwork but the ability to make my own maps easily is a huge plus that the board-game look just does not have.
Same goes for the editor. While for the most part it is easy to use, the region editor os a bit of a pain.

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Is it worth upgrading? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI