Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on Shadows

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Question on Shadows Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on Shadows - 7/5/2013 8:56:49 PM   
Pappy

I'm coming back to DW after getting the new Shadows expansion and have a question. I think I remember one of the other expansions enabling the possibility that an insane number of abandoned ships could be found and activated after fighting some space creatures. I'd like to play with as little of this "feature" as possible so what expansion stories should I disable or do I need to use the editor?

Pappy

Windows 7 home premium 64
AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.40Ghz Processor
8 GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 5800 w/1GB
Planar PX2710MW 1920x1080
Post #: 1
RE: Question on Shadows - 7/5/2013 10:29:15 PM   
Antiscamp

I just turn off all storylines except the new Shadows whenever playing to avoid the imbalancing features. There won't be any ship graveyards to be found then. The Shadows storyline isn't imbalancing in any way; it just guides the player through the pre-warp era.

Oh and there are tickboxes in the victory conditions screen while setting up a new galaxy to turn these storylines on or off.

< Message edited by Antiscamp -- 7/5/2013 10:30:15 PM >

(in reply to Pappy)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on Shadows - 7/5/2013 10:30:11 PM   
Shark7

It is still there, one of the debris fields you will find across the galaxy...the giant kaltor 'farm' is still in as well...as I seem to bumble into it with one of my better fleets every game (really should stop using my best ships to investigate navigational coordinates ).

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Pappy)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on Shadows - 7/6/2013 12:26:01 AM   
Pappy

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll just go with the Shadow story and hope the pirates don't find those fields.

Windows 7 home premium 64
AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.40Ghz Processor
8 GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 5800 w/1GB
Planar PX2710MW 1920x1080

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on Shadows - 7/6/2013 6:35:19 AM   
Canute

The Debris fields with the many disabled Ships are part of the Original Storyline together with some Story triggered Kaltor spawn.

The Shakturi Storyline are the Ancient Guarduans + Shakturi races.

But even when you disable the Orignal Storyline (like i do) you still can find Gas clouds full of Kaltors, released Kaltor swarms from investigate ruins and abandon ships/stations but not anymore as debris fields.

(in reply to Pappy)
Post #: 5
RE: Question on Shadows - 7/6/2013 10:39:20 AM   
Tehlongone

I like to play with it on, as long as you don't prioritize finding or utilizing those fields it will mostly benefit the AI, which I feel it needs.

(in reply to Canute)
Post #: 6
RE: Question on Shadows - 7/6/2013 1:34:02 PM   
Dd_01

I wonder about the conversion of, say, 1000 FTL speed into ly/day or ly/month Anybody knows?

(in reply to Tehlongone)
Post #: 7
RE: Question on Shadows - 7/6/2013 3:28:42 PM   
ScottenChi

I WISH the pirates and other empires would find and exploit the ship graveyards, that would make the game more challenging. In my current game, I just discovered an untouched graveyard IN ANOTHER EMPIRE'S SYSTEM. Sigh.

(in reply to Dd_01)
Post #: 8
RE: Question on Shadows - 7/6/2013 4:23:59 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: ScottenChi

I WISH the pirates and other empires would find and exploit the ship graveyards, that would make the game more challenging. In my current game, I just discovered an untouched graveyard IN ANOTHER EMPIRE'S SYSTEM. Sigh.

The big problem for the AI is it prioritizes resource gathering, doesn't prioritize construction ship building, and is constantly running behind on resources (heck I do all those things and still have resource shortages, even with 18 constructors running full time). The increase in resource requirements has affected really all aspects of the game.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to ScottenChi)
Post #: 9
RE: Question on Shadows - 7/7/2013 2:14:40 AM   
turtlefang

I agree with you that the AI doesn't build enough constructors but that isn't the biggest problem. I try spamming constructors most games to avoid resources bottlenecks (as in 40 to 50) and it still happens.

The biggest issues still seems to be either too few freighters, inefficient freighter routes, or over prioritizing freighter cargo based on whatever the current galactic demand is (highest price) which doesn't always match your need.

So while your desperate for that lead shipment to finish your spaceport, and you have tens of thousands of units stacked up at different places, all those freighters are carrying fur to get a higher price on the market.

Not sure what the answer is and I actually understand the issue. In the real world, private fleet will maximize its revenue by moving the highest value cargo. So unless lead increases in value, it just sits.

I wish there was someway to "pay a charter" to carry the freight the port (or wherever) as in the real world, but it is not a current option.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 10
RE: Question on Shadows - 7/7/2013 3:41:14 AM   
Lucian

Maybe the solution would be to implement state controlled freighters that would concentrate on moving strategic resources rather than making a profit.

The downside of course would be that the state would have to buy and maintain them, but at least - as a player - you'd have full control to compensate for the deficiencies in the AI.

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Question on Shadows Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI