Do I dare?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

rodney727

Do I dare?

Post by rodney727 »

Wish every one a happy 4th of July! Matrix being an British owned company I didn't see anyone post this, probably didn't think it was proper![:D] Every body enjoy and be safe.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Kuokkanen

RE: Do I dare?

Post by Kuokkanen »

I remember reading from somewhere that American in UK was surprised when he heard that day isn't celebrated in there
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: rogo727

Wish every one a happy 4th of July! Matrix being an British owned company I didn't see anyone post this, probably didn't think it was proper![:D] Every body enjoy and be safe.
warspite1

I repeat what I posted in the WITP-AE forum.

It never ceases to amaze me that some Americans actually think we care - like the 4th July is a day of shame at defeat or whatever...

For the avoidance of doubt; no we don't, it happened (it was going to happen sooner or later anyway), in modern American parlance - we are "over it" and we have "successfully achieved closure" [:D]. [Can't believe I've actually used that last phrase [X(] - I should take over from Oprah [;)]]

So yes, I wish a very happy 4th July to our American cousins - have a good one.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

It never ceases to amaze me that some Americans actually think we care - like the 4th July is a day of shame at defeat or whatever...

For the avoidance of doubt; no we don't, it happened (it was going to happen sooner or later anyway), in modern American parlance - we are "over it" and we have "successfully achieved closure" [:D]. [Can't believe I've actually used that last phrase [X(] - I should take over from Oprah [;)]]

I'll repeat my response from the AE forum. [:'(]

We KNOW it doesn't make any difference. But we can't pass up the opportunity for some good playful ribbing once a year with our friends across the pond. [:)]

Thanks for the well wishes.
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Well thanks mr W! I guess that's the difference between us. I can let the revonluatiry war go...I mean after all be fought as many Germans (some say maybe even more) Than English men. What I can't let go is the war of 1812! Frankly still kinda pissed about that! We declared war and then soon after tried to take it back but you had to put us in our place and burn are capital and chase poor Martha down the street[:D]
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

I'll repeat my response from the AE forum. [:'(]

We KNOW it doesn't make any difference. But we can't pass up the opportunity for some good playful ribbing once a year with our friends across the pond. [:)]

Thanks for the well wishes.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

I just have to relate one Fourth-of-July story I found amusing. It says something about the historical knowledge (or lack thereof) here about:

I was on the road somewhere in the Heartland (I think it was Oklahoma) and watching this auto salesman's local ad for his Fourth-of-July Sale. Complete with a background covered in the Stars & Stripes it touted the huge discounts to be received as patriotic march music blared away. Or at least what he must have thought was patriotic music.

The tune was "Rule Britannia".
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

I still can't believe you all make such a fuss over Independence Day. Cheering and fireworks and parties and such.

Com'mon guys..It was a big deal back in the day. but it was only ever a very average movie.
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

We bumpkins are free now! No more oppressive gobmint and high taxations!

[:o]
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

I remember reading from somewhere that American in UK was surprised when he heard that day isn't celebrated in there

We have to a keep a gap in the calendar for 'we finally got rid of the Scottish' day [;)]
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

When we lived in New England we loved being so close to Canada on these non Empire holidays, open parks and no crowds!
Happy forth every one, oops its not the 4th anymore!
ok
Happy birthday America and Down with the British, at least in a fun allied sort of way... and stop burning down our capital...
remember 1812?
"Tanks forward"
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: ezz

I still can't believe you all make such a fuss over Independence Day. Cheering and fireworks and parties and such.

Com'mon guys..It was a big deal back in the day. but it was only ever a very average movie.

US Freedom and Independence are always being threatened from without(our own politicians today are attacking the Constitution from within). So it is ever present (the meaning of our independence). That's why its still a Big Deal to us

Return to “General Discussion”