Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat in Flashpoint Campaign -- Video

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm >> After Action Report >> Combat in Flashpoint Campaign -- Video Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat in Flashpoint Campaign -- Video - 7/4/2013 4:03:13 PM   
cbelva

Just posted a new video showing off combat in Flashpoint Campaign. This is not related to the DAR that Steve is doing. This is from a game played earlier this week. The human player is the West Germans and the AI player is the Soviets. The Soviets are attacking and has pushed the West Germans back. This is well into the battle and the Soviets had pushed the WGs out of Rinteln. They had earlier tried to take the 140 Obj NW of the town but were thrown back. They are now driving to take the objective and hold it with 2 tank Battalions. BTW, this is being played with the fog of war off so you can see the AI's actions

The turn can be watched here: http://youtu.be/lw3BKjsVOps

< Message edited by cbelva -- 7/4/2013 4:08:54 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Combat in Flashpoint Campaign -- Video - 10/18/2013 6:49:07 PM   
Richard III

I just watched this fine video AAR again and thought it worthwhile to bring it back to the top especially since I like to play NATO.

The thing is, in this scenario, or any others, I can`t seem to replicate those results NATO gets get once the shooting starts. In defensive positions in woods hexes, VS the attacking AI ( and presumably more exposed T-80`s) I am trading NATO MBT`s at 1:1 and sometimes 1:2 VS those advance 10 unit T-80 companies. If the AI stacks 2-3 companies deep with them in advance they are Death Stars. NATO Inf. and AT units in city hexes don`t do much better, which they should IMHO.

Now, I probably suck at the game, but somehow the MBT VS MBT combat die rolls _seem_ to be tilted heavily toward numbers, and not morale, terrain location factors.

Now none of this is criticism, I love the Game and I might be totally off base here but I wonder if along the development path since this vid the combat algorithms, or scenario designs, have changed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: cbelva

Just posted a new video showing off combat in Flashpoint Campaign. This is not related to the DAR that Steve is doing. This is from a game played earlier this week. The human player is the West Germans and the AI player is the Soviets. The Soviets are attacking and has pushed the West Germans back. This is well into the battle and the Soviets had pushed the WGs out of Rinteln. They had earlier tried to take the 140 Obj NW of the town but were thrown back. They are now driving to take the objective and hold it with 2 tank Battalions. BTW, this is being played with the fog of war off so you can see the AI's actions

The turn can be watched here: http://youtu.be/lw3BKjsVOps

"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
A. Maslow

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 2
RE: Combat in Flashpoint Campaign -- Video - 10/18/2013 7:04:37 PM   
Capn Darwin

Richard, seeing that the vid is from July or a bit earlier, I know a number of changes were made in the combat model to fix errors found during testing. Things now may be harder, but they are more realistic in our opinion.

We are working on 2.06 update. Visit our website too.

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations Developer,
and resident Rocket Scientist

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 3
RE: Combat in Flashpoint Campaign -- Video - 10/18/2013 7:38:28 PM   
Mad Russian

Did we mention HARDER?!!?

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Capn Darwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Combat in Flashpoint Campaign -- Video - 10/18/2013 7:59:15 PM   
cbelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

I just watched this fine video AAR again and thought it worthwhile to bring it back to the top especially since I like to play NATO.

The thing is, in this scenario, or any others, I can`t seem to replicate those results NATO gets get once the shooting starts. In defensive positions in woods hexes, VS the attacking AI ( and presumably more exposed T-80`s) I am trading NATO MBT`s at 1:1 and sometimes 1:2 VS those advance 10 unit T-80 companies. If the AI stacks 2-3 companies deep with them in advance they are Death Stars. NATO Inf. and AT units in city hexes don`t do much better, which they should IMHO.

Now, I probably suck at the game, but somehow the MBT VS MBT combat die rolls _seem_ to be tilted heavily toward numbers, and not morale, terrain location factors.

Now none of this is criticism, I love the Game and I might be totally off base here but I wonder if along the development path since this vid the combat algorithms, or scenario designs, have changed.

Thank you for posting this. I see the exact opposite many times and have often wondered if combat is too slanted in NATOs favor. This tells me that it is more balanced than I thought. NATO does have an edge in technology over the Soviets. The Soviet 's tactics in overcoming this advantage is in shear numbers. I have been playing FPCRS for 15 months and have learned a lot about this game and tactics. As you play the game you will learn how to take advantage of your sides strengths. Even with NATOs technological advance, if they let the Soviets in close NATO will be in trouble.

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 10/18/2013 8:28:14 PM >

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 5
RE: Combat in Flashpoint Campaign -- Video - 10/18/2013 9:09:23 PM   
Richard III

Thanks ! Good to know that it`s me Guys. Will keep fighting and possibly tinker with the Red TOE in the scenario editor.

quote:

ORIGINAL: cbelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Thank you for posting this. I see the exact opposite many times and have often wondered if combat is too slanted in NATOs favor. This tells me that it is more balanced than I thought. NATO does have an edge in technology over the Soviets. The Soviet 's tactics in overcoming this advantage is in shear numbers. I have been playing FPCRS for 15 months and have learned a lot about this game and tactics. As you play the game you will learn how to take advantage of your sides strengths. Even with NATOs technological advance, if they let the Soviets in close NATO will be in trouble.

"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
A. Maslow

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm >> After Action Report >> Combat in Flashpoint Campaign -- Video Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI