Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice regarding early access games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Advice regarding early access games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice regarding early access games - 7/3/2013 8:40:11 AM   
jamesm

Hello,

There is a new game called Horizon on Steam available for early access. I am after some advice from other gamers if it worth getting into an early access game or waiting. I have too many bad memories of 360 games releasing very buggy games and the associated frustration.

Ta

Jim

< Message edited by jamesm -- 7/3/2013 8:43:33 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Advice regarding early access games - 7/3/2013 11:23:22 AM   
Terminus

I don't bother with early release games on Steam. It's not worth the frustration.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to jamesm)
Post #: 2
RE: Advice regarding early access games - 7/4/2013 8:09:26 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesm

Hello,

There is a new game called Horizon on Steam available for early access. I am after some advice from other gamers if it worth getting into an early access game or waiting. I have too many bad memories of 360 games releasing very buggy games and the associated frustration.

'Early access' is a pseudonym for 'paid beta'. Or 'paid alpha'. Or even 'paid pre-alpha'. Or often any of those combined with "we've run out of money because our Kickstarter failed". You may have a buggy game, an incomplete game, or virtually no game at all.

It's hard to answer your question in general terms as the actual state of completeness seems to vary so much. That particular one looks fairly well cooked compared with many, although you have to judge how much you any description matches what you download. Some are widely recognized in the gaming community as being a safe bet and already well worth the cash, such as Kerbal Space Program. Some were 'Greenlighted' pretty much just on an engine and a concept.

You may also have a particular take on whether you want to act in the same way as traditional alpha/beta testers on a particular project if the devs seem receptive to your input as well as receipt of your cash. Overall, I'd say 'avoid' at first, if only because IMHO 'early access' pricing is too high for what is usually a pretty big gamble. If you start seeing a lot of positive feedback appearing, though, regarding a game you really like the look of, then go for it.

P.S. Prepared to get really pissed by seeing your 'early access' game go on SALE at some point while STILL 'early access'! I've already seen that with a couple. That would make me mad anyway, it just seems such a kick in the teeth to those who backed the project at the start.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 7/4/2013 8:14:45 AM >

(in reply to jamesm)
Post #: 3
RE: Advice regarding early access games - 7/4/2013 9:12:34 PM   
jamesm

Thank you for your advice I will hold off for now.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Advice regarding early access games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI