Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What do you think of the do it yerself society we live in now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What do you think of the do it yerself society we live in now? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What do you think of the do it yerself society we live ... - 6/26/2013 7:08:34 PM   
Rtwfreak

I was just thinking of the days when we did have gasoline attendants and cashiers that input the price of everything and sackers who sacked your groceries for you and took them out to your car and put them in for you. Customer service is a dying system it seems anymore. Man wouldn't you loved to have lived in the time of the "Waltons" and going to the ole hardware/grocery store when everybody knew your name and you theirs, buying a cold soda and chewing the fat around the bench in front of the store?

Today how many times have you gotten home only to find the cashier who did wait on you forgot to put the item in your bag or basket? Been overcharged by the MACHINE and having to walk all the way back to the back of the store to prove that you were right about the "sale" price? Being overcharge happens a lot in Walmart's I picked up a $3.00 set of push on lites (the kind you see on tv) that had been marked down to $3.00 but when I got to the register they rang up at $3.96 then of course the long walk to the lighting section or the argument with the cashier (and it had to be the one I'd had issues with before but the only one close to the door I came in).

I miss the good ole days going shopping with my mom, she knew the cashier and I went to school with her son. I dunno just doesn't seem people were in a hurry like they are now. I think McDonalds ruined everything and everybody with their "fast food" system. Oh it was fast alright but I wouldn't say it was the best. But, a million people or more per day started going there so every other business jumped on board the expressway bandwagon and now everybody is in a hurry.

Hurry up Erik on that Heroes of Stalingrad game haha
Post #: 1
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/26/2013 7:26:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

I was just thinking of the days when we did have gasoline attendants and cashiers that input the price of everything and sackers who sacked your groceries for you and took them out to your car and put them in for you. Customer service is a dying system it seems anymore. Man wouldn't you loved to have lived in the time of the "Waltons" and going to the ole hardware/grocery store when everybody knew your name and you theirs, buying a cold soda and chewing the fat around the bench in front of the store?

Today how many times have you gotten home only to find the cashier who did wait on you forgot to put the item in your bag or basket? Been overcharged by the MACHINE and having to walk all the way back to the back of the store to prove that you were right about the "sale" price? Being overcharge happens a lot in Walmart's I picked up a $3.00 set of push on lites (the kind you see on tv) that had been marked down to $3.00 but when I got to the register they rang up at $3.96 then of course the long walk to the lighting section or the argument with the cashier (and it had to be the one I'd had issues with before but the only one close to the door I came in).

I miss the good ole days going shopping with my mom, she knew the cashier and I went to school with her son. I dunno just doesn't seem people were in a hurry like they are now. I think McDonalds ruined everything and everybody with their "fast food" system. Oh it was fast alright but I wouldn't say it was the best. But, a million people or more per day started going there so every other business jumped on board the expressway bandwagon and now everybody is in a hurry.

Hurry up Erik on that Heroes of Stalingrad game haha
warspite1

Are you sure this "golden age" when no one made a mistake, everyone was friendly and talkative and everyone knew everyone else's name really existed?

Edit: comma in the wrong place

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/26/2013 8:27:53 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 2
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/26/2013 8:28:24 PM   
Rtwfreak

Well if you only had one place to shop and one or two clerks....you figure it out. I just remember my mom knew practically everyone in Safeway in our town. We even had a Piggly Wiggly.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/26/2013 8:49:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Well if you only had one place to shop and one or two clerks....you figure it out. I just remember my mom knew practically everyone in Safeway in our town. We even had a Piggly Wiggly.
warspite1

Its a trade off isn't it? So sounds like your mum got satisfaction from her local shop - service, conversation etc, but by definition, her product choice would have been more limited, she would have been more at risk of price increases (monopoly).

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 4
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/26/2013 11:10:18 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Nothing short of catastrophic-

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 5
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/26/2013 11:12:12 PM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Its a trade off isn't it? So sounds like your mum got satisfaction from her local shop - service, conversation etc, but by definition, her product choice would have been more limited, she would have been more at risk of price increases (monopoly).

Yeah I just know Safeway and Piggly Wiggly went out of business in our town and in came Gibsons, Krogers, Wynn Dixie and Howards and then Walmart ate em all up. But, of all the stores left in this town Walmarts has the lowest prices and even matches sale items of the other ones. Oh we got a Super 1 foods too at the other end of town. 3 Walmart's though. We got 1 mom and pop store left though but the prices are extreme. You'd have to go there out of love for the owners because their prices are almost double what you pay at Walmart's.

So for the love of saving money and time we give up the mom and pop stores. Big time corporations are moving in all around. Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart's, Target's we brought it on ourselves. There's an episode of King of the Hill that sort of deals with this and I think SouthPark did an episode on it also.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/27/2013 1:47:51 AM   
flanyboy

To each their own? In general I don't want to chat up a storm when I purchase a product. I appreciate customer service and definitely expect cashiers to get it right but I'm not in the mood to shop for hours. That's not to say I am always in a rush, I'm not, but I appreciate convince so I can spend more time doing the things I really enjoy. I think the bigger impact on CS has probably been from online retailers, and frankly I love sites like New Egg and the like, they open up so many doors that simply didn't exist in the past. In the past if I went to a computer store and wanted a product there was a fairly high probability that they wouldn't have it, and it's possible the store didn't have the means to get it. Now I have endless options and can always find what I want. Again, it's a trade off but it's one that isn't necessarily negative.

The "Golden Era" didn't exist, it was different in many ways, just as today's era is different, some things are better some things are worse.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 7
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/27/2013 1:31:30 PM   
catwhoorg

When the family goes to the local supermarket, it seems like the cashiers are almost fighting for 'pick my check out, pick me' so they get to fuss over my daughter.

And the sackers do a good job.

So its not entirely gone...

(oh and 10 years in the States, I have yet to step foot in a McDonalds. I simply am not interested in their trashy calories)

(in reply to flanyboy)
Post #: 8
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/28/2013 1:00:58 AM   
KurtC

quote:

ORIGINAL: catwhoorg

When the family goes to the local supermarket, it seems like the cashiers are almost fighting for 'pick my check out, pick me' so they get to fuss over my daughter.

And the sackers do a good job.

So its not entirely gone...

(oh and 10 years in the States, I have yet to step foot in a McDonalds. I simply am not interested in their trashy calories)

I cannot remember the last time I bought something from the chain I affectionately call "McSlop's".

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 9
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/28/2013 3:12:10 AM   
Rtwfreak

Oh cmon guys their Filet of Fish is awesome too bad it's expensive as hell for what you get.

(in reply to KurtC)
Post #: 10
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/28/2013 8:28:50 AM   
Josh

quote:

Amen to that, never been to McDonalds and probably never will. I'd rather stay hungry... or better buy an apple or whatever.

< Message edited by Josh -- 6/28/2013 8:29:10 AM >

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 11
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/28/2013 7:20:06 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

quote:

Amen to that, never been to McDonalds and probably never will. I'd rather stay hungry... or better buy an apple or whatever.
warspite1

I must say I do enjoy a good Macca D's from time to time. Especially in my younger days after a Friday night on the lash..last train home...Macca D's in one hand and the Sun in the other. Happy days

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 12
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/29/2013 3:05:01 AM   
Perturabo

One thing that I hate is stores that have that culture of fake friendliness. I experienced it in one American-influenced bookstore chain.
It made me start to buy in small bookstores where the owner/cashier is usually neutral.

I heard horror stories that cashiers in America are often threatened with being fired if they don't smile constantly and don't constantly display fake friendliness.

At least now when I see neutral/unhappy looking cashier I can be glad that at least here they are still treated vaguely like human beings not some happy robots.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 13
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/29/2013 3:55:42 AM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

One thing that I hate is stores that have that culture of fake friendliness. I experienced it in one American-influenced bookstore chain.
It made me start to buy in small bookstores where the owner/cashier is usually neutral.

I heard horror stories that cashiers in America are often threatened with being fired if they don't smile constantly and don't constantly display fake friendliness.

At least now when I see neutral/unhappy looking cashier I can be glad that at least here they are still treated vaguely like human beings not some happy robots.

+1. Went into a Mcdonalds the other day. The cashiers where told in front of customers "you must to say hello to everyone that comes in the door" seen this in other places too. Just give my what I order I don't want a relationship with Mcdonalds.
The other annoying thing that really irks me. Happens at many different places. Asking me(when I bring things up to buy at the cash register) if I want to buy whatever They are trying to sell that day. I just ignore them and wait for them to take my money. Or I say yes I want a thousand dollar check!

< Message edited by Zap -- 6/29/2013 3:57:08 AM >

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 14
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/29/2013 5:59:03 AM   
terje439

quote:

1. I miss the good ole days going shopping with my mom, she knew the cashier and I went to school with her son.
2. I dunno just doesn't seem people were in a hurry like they are now.

1. Living in a "small" village in Norway ("small" since in sqm it is larger than the island of Barbados, but with a population that has stayed at 7k the past 20 years, and village since that is the only proper term. I live smack in the centre, and across the road there is a farm ), I can tell you that those "good old days" are not always good hehe. So many times have I been to the store after working a 12 hour shift, just wanting to pay for the food I want to buy, get home, eat said food, take a shower and get to bed. Then you realize that the queue is not moving, and that at the register, the cashier is talking to a woman she knows, and their sons do go to school together.
At those times, I really wish I lived in a place were everybody does not know everybody

2. I notice this the most with MMOs. I remember when I first starting playing MMOs, my game of choice was StarWarsGalaxies. A game that was hard to learn, but that just made it the more rewarding when you mastered something. Then came the kids. The "instant gratification"-generation. And the game had to change to keep them as customers, and it all went downhill. Since those days, I have yet to find (well with the exception of the games offered here that is) a really challenging game (remember the days of the C64???). Now it is all about getting rewards from the first press of a button.

So, in some ways, I do miss the "good old days", but in other matters, I wish those "good old days" would be gone

Tejre

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 15
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/29/2013 7:26:22 PM   
Josh

@ Terje; concerning your point numbr 2. You're certainly quite right, I've seen it happening with Command and Conquer too, from that time on strategy games became a niche market and RTS games became maimstream. I've seen it happening with RPG and FPS too. But, *but* quite unexpected, at least for me, old days sort of seem to revive with the birth of crowdfunding and "greenlight' games on Steam. Those small developer studios... that went all belly up in the late nineties, got swallowed up by the ever larger corporations? Where the suits dictated how a game should be? Those small Indy dev studios are back with a vengeance. Hardcore RPG's or wargames are back to stay... thank god for that.
I'll never forget how the suits utterly destroyed a game like Baldur's Gate, turned it into a fast hack and slash game for kiddies, where graphics were everything and the story wasn't. So happy to see they are *still* being developed... Wastelands 2 for instance  Basilisk Games is another one; http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-iii

Oops linky for Wastelands 2 http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/

< Message edited by Josh -- 6/29/2013 7:28:03 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 16
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/29/2013 11:44:37 PM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

I heard horror stories that cashiers in America are often threatened with being fired if they don't smile constantly and don't constantly display fake friendliness

Yep this ^ is very true. In Walgreens or example the cashier at the front of the store must greet every customer that comes in the store with a Welcome to Walgreens and then do it again when they are leaving Thankyou for shopping at Walgreens all the while they are cashing other customers out and they also must answer all phone calls and at minimum wage it's god awful pitiful because they use young college kids or old ladies and forced customer service like that I do not like and I voice my opinion to the manager. Let them be customer friendly of their own accord that's the best type not fake or false courtesy.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 17
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/29/2013 11:49:52 PM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

@ Terje; concerning your point numbr 2. You're certainly quite right, I've seen it happening with Command and Conquer too, from that time on strategy games became a niche market and RTS games became maimstream. I've seen it happening with RPG and FPS too. But, *but* quite unexpected, at least for me, old days sort of seem to revive with the birth of crowdfunding and "greenlight' games on Steam. Those small developer studios... that went all belly up in the late nineties, got swallowed up by the ever larger corporations? Where the suits dictated how a game should be? Those small Indy dev studios are back with a vengeance. Hardcore RPG's or wargames are back to stay... thank god for that.
I'll never forget how the suits utterly destroyed a game like Baldur's Gate, turned it into a fast hack and slash game for kiddies, where graphics were everything and the story wasn't. So happy to see they are *still* being developed... Wastelands 2 for instance  Basilisk Games is another one; http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-iii

Oops linky for Wastelands 2 http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/

Yeah see see ^ some of the old stuff is coming back and board games are getting coverted to computer now what we all wanted before EA and HASBRO and ACTIVISION and SEGA ruined them all. I'm glad to see some of the old school coming back around. I too enjoyed SWG's before the NGE the crafting system was the best bar none from harvesting to the crafting part even if it did take a long time to make one thing.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 18
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/29/2013 11:52:16 PM   
Rtwfreak

But the big problem is some people are just too much in a hurry like the guy above who worked 12 hours and didn't have time for anyone else just himself such selfishness.

But it is his life and if he doesn't want to share it with the cashier that's his choice

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 19
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/30/2013 2:12:55 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Ha well, this is funny. I was a grocery bagger @ 16 and a gas pump tender @ 21 so I did both of those things. The gas pumper job was good to me, it didn't pay for sh1t but I was lucky at the time to even have a job. I worked hard, tried to keep customers happy and learned a lot. A lot of girls noticed me too ! I am a bit nostalgic for that era, I do think we've lost something there.

I refuse to bag my own groceries, that's just out of line. I never return my carts to the cart barns in the parking lot. Why would I deny some young person a good paying job by trying to do everything myself ? The only people who will gain from me doing all the work is the corporation, not the employees. I don't owe the corporation anything.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 20
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/30/2013 11:23:14 AM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

The only people who will gain from me doing all the work is the corporation, not the employees. I don't owe the corporation anything.

Now you're thinking right it takes jobs away when we do it ourselves at stores and I too never take the cart back and will never check and sack my own groceries unless it gets to that point and the sad thing is is IS getting there. Have you noticed the check out yourself lanes? And the robot lemmings who are just impatient as hell fly to them. I use the checkout lanes where I can talk to the cashier and she does all the checking and sacking.

I mean the gas station attendant that used to wash your windshield and check the air in your tires and check your oil level is practically gone. It also was a job as a youngster I wanted cause it looked like "FUN"!

Just one question: How many of you just walk for "FUN" anymore and not for some medically good for you or your health?

Maybe two questions: How many of you ride a bicycle anymore just for the "FUN" of it and not for the calorie burning exercise?

I mean when we were kids this is what we did for "FUN" walk places and/or ride a bicycle, not for exercise or health reasons.

How many of you are "couch/chair potatoes" now? hehe

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 21
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/30/2013 6:20:37 PM   
jimcarravall

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

quote:

Nothing short of catastrophic-

Anyone ever wondered who stole that home value?

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 22
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 6/30/2013 7:51:02 PM   
Jamm

Simpler times,..
of course everything's simple when you're a kid.

Attachment (1)

When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-works/669418463128598?ref=bookmarks

(in reply to jimcarravall)
Post #: 23
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 7/1/2013 3:46:12 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

+1. Went into a Mcdonalds the other day. The cashiers where told in front of customers "you must to say hello to everyone that comes in the door" seen this in other places too. Just give my what I order I don't want a relationship with Mcdonalds.

It's basically a form of primitive manipulation. It's purpose is to make people feel feelings associated with friends towards the company. It's pretty sick.

quote:

Yep this ^ is very true. In Walgreens or example the cashier at the front of the store must greet every customer that comes in the store with a Welcome to Walgreens and then do it again when they are leaving Thankyou for shopping at Walgreens all the while they are cashing other customers out and they also must answer all phone calls and at minimum wage it's god awful pitiful because they use young college kids or old ladies and forced customer service like that I do not like and I voice my opinion to the manager. Let them be customer friendly of their own accord that's the best type not fake or false courtesy.

Additionally, such workplaces are favouring dishonest and manipulative employees.

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

2. I notice this the most with MMOs. I remember when I first starting playing MMOs, my game of choice was StarWarsGalaxies. A game that was hard to learn, but that just made it the more rewarding when you mastered something. Then came the kids. The "instant gratification"-generation. And the game had to change to keep them as customers, and it all went downhill. Since those days, I have yet to find (well with the exception of the games offered here that is) a really challenging game (remember the days of the C64???). Now it is all about getting rewards from the first press of a button.

So, in some ways, I do miss the "good old days", but in other matters, I wish those "good old days" would be gone

Tejre

I think that it all started when there started to be massive feedback on internet forums and from spying programs in games. One of the things they learned is that most of people never finishes their games.
Also, at that time a lot of psychological manipulation started being used - addiction-based gameplay, achievements, DLCs, etc.

quote:

I'll never forget how the suits utterly destroyed a game like Baldur's Gate, turned it into a fast hack and slash game for kiddies, where graphics were everything and the story wasn't.

I didn't know that the suits destroyed Baldur's Gate. I thought that it was mediocre because lack of talent of the Bioware team, not because of interference. Somehow, guys from Black Isle studios still managed to squeeze more roleplaying into a jump for the cash hack and slash game like Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2 than Bioware into its "full" cRPGs.
Not to mention that suits somehow managed to not turn Fallout, Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment into fast hack and slash games for kiddies.

quote:

I mean the gas station attendant that used to wash your windshield and check the air in your tires and check your oil level is practically gone. It also was a job as a youngster I wanted cause it looked like "FUN"!

Just one question: How many of you just walk for "FUN" anymore and not for some medically good for you or your health?

Maybe two questions: How many of you ride a bicycle anymore just for the "FUN" of it and not for the calorie burning exercise?

I mean when we were kids this is what we did for "FUN" walk places and/or ride a bicycle, not for exercise or health reasons.

How many of you are "couch/chair potatoes" now? hehe

I usually walk about two hours a day when doing groceries. Generally, I dislike going out without going to buy something or get something. It leaves too much time to think and feel bad about the conclusions of the thinking (it would be nice to be go out and evaluate reality and think "healthy world" and feel good about the world, sadly and disgustingly world insists on being sick).
Focus, is what staves off the suffering, what allows to forget about hordes of ideological enemies and forces of evil - reading about tactics, military history, how things could realistically work in science fiction, working on mods, reading a good novel, getting lost in enjoyable conversation - good, healthy stuff or at least when not trying to forget, actively debating, preventing the enemy from prevailing, from spreading their ideology, not just impotently repeating arguments within ones head without a keyboard to speak.

I have never found any job fun. Just hours upon hours of mental torture and reduction to being an automaton that performs some banal activities and has tons of time to wonder why one is earning 2$ per hour when some other people do identical job and earn much more. Why is my work treated as worse as theirs? This question is always plaguing me when working somewhere and I can't find an acceptable answer based on one's essential qualities - I can't find any inferiority in the quality of work that I perform - it must be some kind of a swindle. Sick world.

One thing that I regret is that I can't get drawn in into stuff like programming or graphics design or some other thing useful for making bigger money the way I get into modding or collecting information about things that interest me. Sadly, these are things where it's impossible to get anywhere without being obsessed about that stuff.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 7/1/2013 3:47:43 AM >

They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 24
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 7/1/2013 1:19:25 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

quote:

I heard horror stories that cashiers in America are often threatened with being fired if they don't smile constantly and don't constantly display fake friendliness

We have to do this because people are lacking even common courtesy these days. Can you imagine how these punks would behave if they weren't instructed. I would rather have a "hello and welcome, can I help you?", than "what do you want?". In this day and age, employees need instructions on behavior because they do not learn it from parents or schools. Sad but true.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 25
RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we l... - 7/1/2013 7:48:41 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

quote:

quote:

We have to do this because people are lacking even common courtesy these days. Can you imagine how these punks would behave if they weren't instructed. I would rather have a "hello and welcome, can I help you?", than "what do you want?". In this day and age, employees need instructions on behavior because they do not learn it from parents or schools. Sad but true.

Except that it's not about common courtesy. Despite all that talk of older people about youth getting less and less well behaved, I have encountered lack of common courtesy in a store/bar only once in my whole life. What we're talking about is a marketing technique that is used to make the customer feel like the store employees like them. It's a new thing which is equally bad as what you're talking about.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What do you think of the do it yerself society we live in now? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI