Here's one for ya

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Rtwfreak

Here's one for ya

Post by Rtwfreak »

In today's wages (US) how much would a cattle drover make compared to the $40 a month they got in the 1800's?
warspite1

RE: Here's one for ya

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

In today's wages (US) how much would a cattle drover make compared to the $40 a month they got in the 1800's?
warspite1

$14,350.23
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

$14,350.23

A month? are you serious or are you now going to say don't call me Serious I'm warspite1? lol
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

$14,350.23

A month? are you serious or are you now going to say don't call me Serious I'm warspite1? lol
warspite1

I assumed it was a trick question... and don't call me serious

Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

warspite1

$14,350.23

warspite1

No I'm serious I really wanted to know what they would have made in today's wages?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

No I'm serious I really wanted to know what they would have made in today's wages?
warspite1

More importantly - what the %^&* is a cattle drover?

Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

He was one of the hands that kept the cattle in the group during a cattle drive, he'd go after strays and run them back to the group they were driving to a town. Many a drive went out of Texas to Kansas City or somewhere in Wyoming or California. They called them drovers because they were part of the cattle drive. They usually stunk to high heaven and were wild and crazy guys when they got to a town. You never watched "Rawhide"? Great tv show about cattle drives that's now back on ME tv in the US. Had a jingle of a intro song. "rollin rollin rollin, keep them doggies rollin....RAWHIDE...you can probably google it to get more info about show.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

He was one of the hands that kept the cattle in the group during a cattle drive, he'd go after strays and run them back to the group they were driving to a town. Many a drive went out of Texas to Kansas City or somewhere in Wyoming or California. They called them drovers because they were part of the cattle drive. They usually stunk to high heaven and were wild and crazy guys when they got to a town. You never watched "Rawhide"? Great tv show about cattle drives that's now back on ME tv in the US. Had a jingle of a intro song. "rollin rollin rollin, keep them doggies rollin....RAWHIDE...you can probably google it to get more info about show.
warspite1

I've heard of the show - though I never watched it. Never was a fan of cowboys - well except Blazin' Saddles.

Orm

Post by Orm »

In 2012, the relative worth of $40.00 from 1800 is:

$755.00 using the Consumer Price Index
$718.00 using the GDP deflator
$11,900.00 using the unskilled wage
$27,100.00 using the Production Worker Compensation
$22,200.00 using the nominal GDP per capita
$1,320,000.00 using the relative share of GDP

I got this answer from: http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
wings7

Post by wings7 »

A drover would make between $4500 to & $5000 per month. Good question!

Patrick

PS. A drover is a worker that moves or drives cattle from one location to another (Kansas to Texas). A good example of this work is the 1950's-60's TV series "Rawhide".
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wings7

PS. A drover is a worker that moves or drives cattle from one location to another (Kansas to Texas). A good example of this work is the 1950's-60's TV series "Rawhide".
warspite1

See post 7 [:D]

Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

ORIGINAL: wings7

A drover would make between $4500 to & $5000 per month. Good question!

Patrick

Holy crap that's good money then. I'd never dreamed $40 was worth so much. Wish they needed drovers today. Be kewl out on the plains eatin beans and bacon and steak on the hoof all the time. [:)]
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

Wish they needed drovers today. Be kewl out on the plains eatin beans and bacon and steak on the hoof all the time. [:)]

All romantic notions of adventure aside, I'd wager it would probably get old pretty fast if you actually think about it as a long term profession. No showers, no toilets, no shelter from the weather or insects, hostile Indians and roving bands of outlaws. Then you have to consider the fact your breathing in the smells and listening to the non-stop noises of a huge herd of cattle 24/7 without let-up for months on end. One or two long-haul drives would be all anyone probably had the temperament for, after that you'd begin to wish you had another way to make a living full time.

You'd have to pay them good money to keep the professionals who know what their doing coming back.

Jim
Josh

Post by Josh »

Man that show was/is *legendary* !! Heck even Clint Eastwood was in it. Double [&o] [&o]
I'd say they would earn a couple of grand nowadays, hard physical labour and you'd have to know what you are doing, probably underpayed too. Sure there was no hygiene back then, but then again people looked at it differently. How many folks did have a shower/bath then, or a toilet? They wore longjohns for weeks on end, even in the heat. So I don't think the smells and sounds of the herd would be any problem. Matter of fact, speaking from experience, you get used to it pretty fast.
The haydays of cattledriving lasted only a couple of years I think.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Before railways, all livestock were walked to market along designated routes, feeding along the way. There is currently a drought in certain parts of Australia and many farmers have gone droving to save their herds. The stock routes have water and rules about how long you can take to move a certain distance, so as to preserve some feed for those coming behind you. Droving never completely died out here and it still exists in other parts of the world too.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Southernland

Post by Southernland »

can we call you Shirley then?
¡¡ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯɐ ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Southern_land

warspite1

Yes - but only at weekends.

budd

Post by budd »

warspite1

But have you ever been in a Turkish prison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i800jcY1Q7A

someone should start a movie of the week thread..... and see how many quotes we can post up from that movie.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

warspite1

But have you ever been in a Turkish prison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i800jcY1Q7A

someone should start a movie of the week thread..... and see how many quotes we can post up from that movie.
warspite1

Go ahead. Rules: No googling - just from memory only

Return to “General Discussion”