Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sabotage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Sabotage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sabotage - 6/23/2013 6:29:41 PM   
Chris H

Under the new patch I'm getting sabotaged to death but it might be down to Humans and the only spy I have, having a -10% counterespionage. Any suggestions on how to prevent this. From what I've read nothing as it's all down to luck. E.g. what spies you have.

< Message edited by Chris H -- 6/23/2013 6:31:13 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sabotage - 6/24/2013 5:07:34 AM   
Lucian

I agree, the sabotage frequency is out of control. And you feel so helpless because there's no defense, especially if you have no or bad agents. There should be *something* you can do... Why cant intelligence agents be recruited manually? Waiting until one pops up makes no sense.

I'm in charge of an entire empire, I should be able to recruit intelligence agents when I need them.

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 2
RE: Sabotage - 6/24/2013 5:43:17 AM   
FerretStyle

Probably because with the character system, it would be pretty easy to get a good agent if you could just recruit them anytime you want.

What I'd like is if the Spy Academy was easier to get because it requires an insane amount of prerequisite research and most of the prereqs are mediocre anyway.

(in reply to Lucian)
Post #: 3
RE: Sabotage - 6/24/2013 6:40:25 AM   
Canute

quote:

Why cant intelligence agents be recruited manually? Waiting until one pops up makes no sense.

Then the AI can hire these too, and you get even more attacked by them.

The best way is, USE your agents even the bad ones.
Send them to Sabotage Const. on somewhere over and over or Territory Map when he got Espionage skill/bonus.
At this way he can improve his skills, even the skills he don't primary use on this mission.
And only when you use them, you have better chance to get new agents. Yes you can get new agents when you don't do anything, but unless you have no agents left, send them on a Mission.

(in reply to FerretStyle)
Post #: 4
RE: Sabotage - 6/24/2013 7:12:31 AM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Under the new patch I'm getting sabotaged to death but it might be down to Humans and the only spy I have, having a -10% counterespionage. Any suggestions on how to prevent this. From what I've read nothing as it's all down to luck. E.g. what spies you have.

It depends on who is sabotaging you. If it is a pirate then blowing up their home base will kill their intelligence agents. Mission accomplished. If it is an empire taking their home world would work but also (depending on the race involved -have a hunt through the policy settings files) getting them to friendly enough relations can get them over the threshold where they will carry out offensive intelligence missions against you.

Just a couple of thoughts.

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 5
RE: Sabotage - 6/24/2013 11:54:49 AM   
elanaagain

I found a pirate leader and its associate 'hiding' on one of my star bases (tourist/research? - forget). Blowing up, and completely destroying star bases is just too easy for the AI, and very difficult for run of the mill users. Perhaps if the sabotaged base took a percentage of damage, etc., and not total wipe out? Wow, good thing chemical/bio bombs don't seem to be available.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 6
RE: Sabotage - 6/24/2013 12:19:55 PM   
feelotraveller

You want it to be harder for the AI to do than the player?

I suspect that the frequency of AI intelligence missions has been raised after complaints (particularly in Legends) that they were not carrying out enough of them. Maybe there is more tweaking to do yet: shrug. Personally I'm fine with what I have seen/experienced thus far in Shadows, just a bit of spice really. Most times it is only a mining base and although annoying (yeah I was sort of counting on the 20k steel which was on the base blown up in my game earlier today) is hardly game changing. Having it happen repetitively reminds me of how cruel I can be to the cpu players... what do you mean your last gas mne has blown up again? I will hold out screaming blue murder until I lose a few research statons with crowds of scientists aboard. That would/will hurt...

Another possible counter is to assassinate the intelligence agent doing the sabotage. Probably only work where the sabotaging power only has one or two agents though.

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 7
RE: Sabotage - 6/24/2013 2:39:48 PM   
Lucian

quote:

Then the AI can hire these too, and you get even more attacked by them.

Well that would assume that we spend the exact same amount on intelligence. If my economy were 10 times bigger than the pirate or I was 10 times more paranoid about sabotage I would spend proportionally more on defense and expect *less* sabotage.

Conversely if I didn't care about intelligence I would be able to skimp, but expect increased sabotage hits.

With the way the game is currently built, spy defense is mostly just pot luck with very minimal player control. Many many other 4x games have player controlled recruitment of spies and they somehow manage to work ok without the helpless feeling DW gives you. For example, if I'm getting attacked by spies in MOO 2 or Birth of the Federation, I just spend more on intel (if I can) and the spying hits decrease.

(in reply to Canute)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Sabotage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI