Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Confused between move and attack orders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Confused between move and attack orders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Confused between move and attack orders - 6/23/2013 4:26:00 PM   
qdm

I am starting the Race To Bastogne scenario as the Germans. I am instructed to race to the first targets, bypassing the enemies between me and them. If I use the Move orders, I can bypass the enemy but not attack at the end (unless i select the Attack checkbox which will countradict the Bypass checkbox). If I use the Attack order, the bypass option is greyed out. What would be the best way to follow the orders ?
Post #: 1
RE: Confused between move and attack orders - 6/23/2013 7:59:20 PM   
phoenix

If you're trying to get round something then plot it manually. As a back up (so they can react when they spot something you weren't aware of when you did the manual plot), use Move and tick bypass, plus 'avoidance' if you want to be really sure (and even that's not sure, and each time the lead unit runs into a contact, be aware that everything stops whilst it sends a message back to HQ which then decides whether to bypass or not, sends orders forward etc - the whole process can be as slow as...well, as it was in reality...)But always check what route it roughly has in mind using the tools section before you commit, as it's only AI and will sometimes surprise you unpleasantly. Move the units to a decent FUP for your projected attack, then give attack orders when they get there. That's what I do, anyway. You could try that.

I've found getting around the outposts no simple matter in RFB. Good luck!

< Message edited by phoenix -- 6/23/2013 8:00:07 PM >

(in reply to qdm)
Post #: 2
RE: Confused between move and attack orders - 6/23/2013 8:23:44 PM   
qdm

Thanks for what seems sound advice.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 3
RE: Confused between move and attack orders - 6/23/2013 10:57:00 PM   
dazkaz15

I agree with what Phoenix said.
If time is tight you can pre-empt the attack order, and save yourself the command delay by issuing it before they get to the location you set for the move.
Say your command delay is about an hour, which is about normal, when they are about 30min from the move order location issue your attack order.
This can save you a bit of time, but requires you to keep an eye on them to get it right.
What I do sometimes is place an extra way point that I know is about 30 min from their FUP then if it is passed I know when to issue the Attack order.
You need to bare in mind they will move more tactically/slower if there are enemy near though.

(in reply to qdm)
Post #: 4
RE: Confused between move and attack orders - 6/24/2013 8:01:24 AM   
phoenix

But if you do that, Daz, isn't there a danger that they will all arrive at the endpoint for the Move order then troop back to the location where you gave them the attack order to form up? I guess if you give an attack order with a FUP at the end point of the preceding Move order that would solve it?

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 5
RE: Confused between move and attack orders - 6/24/2013 12:57:20 PM   
henri51

Check out the HTTR strategy manual, because there are also considerations about how to set your aggro and fire settings. All of the advice in this manual applies to BFTB and to warfare in general, so it is highly recommended to read it.(I read it again last night).

Henri

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 6
RE: Confused between move and attack orders - 6/24/2013 3:56:07 PM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

But if you do that, Daz, isn't there a danger that they will all arrive at the endpoint for the Move order then troop back to the location where you gave them the attack order to form up? I guess if you give an attack order with a FUP at the end point of the preceding Move order that would solve it?

That's right mate what you do to start with is a move order to where you want your FUP for your attack with min agro, bypass, and I also tick ambush as well just for good measure.
Then when your about 30 min out from the FUP, set your attack order with the first waypoint on the FUP (last move order waypoint), then the next one on your objective.
This will mitigate half of the command delay as by the time they arrive at the move destination, orders have already been passed for the attack.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Confused between move and attack orders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI