Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I need a strategy guide...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> I need a strategy guide... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I need a strategy guide... - 6/19/2013 10:19:37 PM   
Mahatma

...and I can't find one. Perhaps everyone could put their heads together to devise some effective strategies because this game is very difficult to play well. Here are some specific problems I'm having with the Eisenborn Ridge scenario:

a. The entrenched units that are immediately encountered are a b***t to shift. What is the best formation to rout entrenched units?
b. Before you say 'go around them', if I do this I will have my supply lines blocked by the entrenched units, or worse, they begin engaging my support units a few km behind the line units.
c. How do I not leave gaps in my advance that allow the enemy to infiltrate? Manually setting the formation to X meters wide, then moving all units at once seems to work, with the formation as 'line' to clear out opposing units. However, sometime I'll set the attack waypoint too far ahead, and the line becomes staggered if one section is slowed by resistance while the other section continues to advance. If I set the attack waypoint closer to the assault waypoint, another reorg is needs to continue advancing, taking more valuable time.

d,e,f,g,h,i and k to follow.

< Message edited by Mahatma -- 6/19/2013 10:32:48 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/20/2013 3:02:49 AM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mahatma

...and I can't find one. Perhaps everyone could put their heads together to devise some effective strategies because this game is very difficult to play well. Here are some specific problems I'm having with the Eisenborn Ridge scenario:

Welcome to the forum Mahatma.

I'm actually working on one at the moment.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3331688

I'll post some tips for you on how to get into the forest tomorrow if I have time, but I will be covering it in a lot more detail later (maybe much later) when I get to that stage in my AAR.

(in reply to Mahatma)
Post #: 2
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/20/2013 7:24:12 PM   
Mahatma

Well I'm an idiot apparently and never realised that the Hockerline could be used as cover when advancing. So I had the line units detach and quickly advance to the Hockerline to reorg then assault.

Does anyone know what the defensive bonuses are for being dug-in, entrenched and fortified?

Maybe someone start a new topic with the title 'formations' to start a discussion. I've got the manual here with the relevant information on the various formations but am at a loss as when to apply then. E.g. the Vee formation, when is this useful?

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 3
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/23/2013 12:53:40 AM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mahatma

Well I'm an idiot apparently and never realised that the Hockerline could be used as cover when advancing. So I had the line units detach and quickly advance to the Hockerline to reorg then assault.

Does anyone know what the defensive bonuses are for being dug-in, entrenched and fortified?

Maybe someone start a new topic with the title 'formations' to start a discussion. I've got the manual here with the relevant information on the various formations but am at a loss as when to apply then. E.g. the Vee formation, when is this useful?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dazkaz15 -- 6/23/2013 1:06:47 AM >

(in reply to Mahatma)
Post #: 4
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/23/2013 8:17:14 AM   
DerGrenadier

Great dazkaz!! Panther games should consider hiring you for making a strategy guide. Iam the first one who will buy it,

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 5
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/23/2013 10:06:58 AM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: DerGrenadier

Great dazkaz!! Panther games should consider hiring you for making a strategy guide. Iam the first one who will buy it,

Thanks for the support mate
I like to think I am getting better at it since I started a few months back.
I'm definitely getting faster anyway.

Maybe one day I will be able to give up the Tree Climbing business. Its definitely getting harder as I get older that's for sure

(in reply to DerGrenadier)
Post #: 6
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/23/2013 10:45:48 AM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: DerGrenadier

+1..outstanding work

(in reply to DerGrenadier)
Post #: 7
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/24/2013 1:01:08 PM   
henri51

Great work Daz, but Newbies should be also advised to read the HTTR strategy manual that (I think) also comes with BFTB. Although a few of the new tactics might be absent, it is still an absolute requirement for the armchair general and probably worth a year at West Point - until a new one comes out.

Henri

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 8
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/24/2013 3:37:11 PM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

Great work Daz, but Newbies should be also advised to read the HTTR strategy manual that (I think) also comes with BFTB. Although a few of the new tactics might be absent, it is still an absolute requirement for the armchair general and probably worth a year at West Point - until a new one comes out.

Henri

I completely agree Henri, that's why if you follow the link I gave him, on slide 2 right at the start of my AAR/guide, it says exactly that

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 9
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/24/2013 4:18:03 PM   
BROJD

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

Henri

I can't find the HTTR strategy manual anywhere in my BFTB documents. Am I missing something?

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 10
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/24/2013 4:28:54 PM   
dazkaz15

Hope this helps.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BROJD)
Post #: 11
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/24/2013 4:32:57 PM   
Brindlebane

I think you have to purchse the HttR expansion to get the guide and the old HttR.I don't think it comes with BftB on it's own.Don't quote me on this though.It certainly is very useful though.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 12
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/24/2013 10:24:14 PM   
gabeeg

I did not own the old HttR, but was given access after purchasing the new BftB HttR add-on. I think it is an either/or to get access to the HttR strat guide.

(in reply to Brindlebane)
Post #: 13
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/25/2013 4:45:46 AM   
BROJD

quote:

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I guess.

I didn't really want to get HTTR and wanted to jump straight to the Greece add-on. So I got HTTR today and will now spend a few weeks refighting Monty's ill-conceived gambit.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 14
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/25/2013 7:19:03 AM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: BROJD

quote:

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I guess.

I didn't really want to get HTTR and wanted to jump straight to the Greece add-on. So I got HTTR today and will now spend a few weeks refighting Monty's ill-conceived gambit.

Well at least you won't have to worry about all them steep hills for a few weeks

(in reply to BROJD)
Post #: 15
RE: I need a strategy guide... - 6/25/2013 4:51:50 PM   
BROJD

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BROJD

quote:

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I guess.

Well at least you won't have to worry about all them steep hills for a few weeks

Yeah, but my Fireflies are burning up the polder at 3 MPH!

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> I need a strategy guide... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI