Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fleet targeting/countermeasures

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Fleet targeting/countermeasures Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fleet targeting/countermeasures - 6/19/2013 11:22:02 AM   
Osito

A few questions:

1. Does anyone know for sure whether the fleet targeting/countermeasures add bonuses above and beyond the individual ship targeting/countermeasures? It's a bit strange, because when you're at maximum tech, adding fleet targeting gives you an extra 40% "fleet targeting" and an extra 35% "targeting". Adding ship targeting only adds a further 5% targeting.

2. If a particular ship has a fleet targeting or countermeasures component does that ship need to be in a fleet to benefit from the fleet targeting or countermeasures bonus?

3. Does anyone bother about fitting fleet targeting/countermeasures just to specific ships? I micromanage fleet design, but I'm finding I just fit fleet targeting/countermeasures to every ship, along with ship targeting/countermeasures. It only takes up an extra 6 spaces, so it seems more trouble than it's worth to keep track of what I've put it on.

Interested in other views ...
Post #: 1
RE: Fleet targeting/countermeasures - 6/19/2013 1:30:29 PM   
elanaagain

1. don't know. I am not sure about the bonuses stacking. Design question:
2. don't know. However, a one ship fleet is permitted - so to be sure - put the ship in its own fleet. I do this with relic ships anyway so I can access them from the fleet management screen.
3. As soon as I get fleet ECM, I design a small number of "FLAG" ships. I design them to be slightly more maneuverable, and more heavily defended than line ships. I name them "FLAG" (in caps) so I can see them easily. These ships get the fleet wide ecm components - line ships don't. FLAGS also get the first fighter wings when available (long before carriers). I usually assign one flag to small squads of ships (6 and under), and to flags to larger fleets. My admirals get relocated to a flag. Flag tactical doctrine is to stand off against stronger and weaker enemies. The only exception to this is when I have a relic ship that is much stronger than a flag - then admiral goes there. In early game, some relics have fleet ecm before I have researched it. In this case, the relics are used as flags, for larger fleets only,except when I need a large, quick massive strike, then relics go into their own fleet to get use of maximum speed, etc.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 2
RE: Fleet targeting/countermeasures - 6/19/2013 2:33:52 PM   
FerretStyle

I design fleet support ships to carry those modules, and assign two to my fleet. They also carry my hyperdeny modules, and usually have more shielding and speed than the others ships, but less weapons. I put ions on them as well. They are basically tanky disruptors.

I noticed that the fleet modules added a 5% to the ship it was equipped on in some cases, but not all. Not sure under what circumstances this is supposed to happen (or if it's supposed to happen at all). I know it doesn't work with Raptor targeting system. Even still, the reason I don't put them on all ships is because the gain is small and the resource cost to do that would be too high. The size addition to the ship is basically trivial but it does add weight to the ship which slows it down... unnecessary modules are never a good thing.

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 3
RE: Fleet targeting/countermeasures - 6/19/2013 5:19:03 PM   
MartialDoctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito
3. Does anyone bother about fitting fleet targeting/countermeasures just to specific ships? I micromanage fleet design, but I'm finding I just fit fleet targeting/countermeasures to every ship, along with ship targeting/countermeasures. It only takes up an extra 6 spaces, so it seems more trouble than it's worth to keep track of what I've put it on.

Interested in other views ...

Considering they are fleet countermeasures, I'm not sure why they are so easy to fit onto a ship. They should be large and expensive units.

That being said, I tend to put them on my whatever I design as a support ship (a battleship or cruiser).

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Fleet targeting/countermeasures Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI