Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Clarification on Commerce Centers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Clarification on Commerce Centers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Clarification on Commerce Centers - 6/19/2013 1:14:47 AM   
LibertyNJ

Hello,
I'm really enjoying this game, and I want to get a better handle on how the game mechanics work. I've read around the forums and I'm having difficulty nailing down exactly how Commerce Center components collect tax.

My best guess is that when a freighter receives or deposits resources at a docking bay, a percentage of the monetary value of those resources is collected by the state as a tax. Is this the case? Does it also tax ships that are taking Caslon/Hydrogen for refueling?

If so, does it make sense to consider adding Commerce Centers to anything that has a docking bay? Research bases, monitoring stations, etc... all need fuel and resources to retrofit, right? What about Constructors if they need additional resources brought to them in the field?

All that asked, I realize it's probably not worth it to add Commerce Centers in some of these cases due to long-term maintenance costs. Still, I'm curious if anyone knows.
Post #: 1
RE: Clarification on Commerce Centers - 6/19/2013 2:54:42 AM   
MarQan

Good question! Galactopedia suggests Commerce Centres raise revenue, but then it would be redundant on Mining Stations.
If it's resource-based, CC shouldn't be needed in Resort Base designs (iirc they don't consume any resources).
The resource-based solution would sure give a lot of exploit opportunities...

(in reply to LibertyNJ)
Post #: 2
RE: Clarification on Commerce Centers - 6/19/2013 3:14:41 AM   
LibertyNJ

I've been watching my freighters and it doesn't seem to work the way I thought it does, unless its all tabulated and granted to you at intervals and not reported on the income breakdown. I wonder if it might only be related to inter-empire trade? I find it curious that the default design templates include commerce centers on monitoring stations, which don't seem like they'd get much traffic.

(in reply to MarQan)
Post #: 3
RE: Clarification on Commerce Centers - 6/19/2013 4:20:24 AM   
MarQan

Yeah, I was experimenting myself. Pre-warp seemed the best opportunity for this.
Monitoring station designs definitely got overlooked. Resort bases as well probably.

It seems that it goes into Foreign Trade Bonuses, and yes, the money you get for a traded resource is:
amount*price*commerce_bonus(e.g. 5% = 0,05).
You get no Trade Bonus for moving resources within your own Empire, so no exploit here.

As for when you actually get the money(in budget from cashflow) and what happens to the resources and money when the SpacePort gets destroyed is unclear to me.

(in reply to LibertyNJ)
Post #: 4
RE: Clarification on Commerce Centers - 6/19/2013 11:53:29 AM   
feelotraveller

Commerce centres pay you the specified percent when the location conducts foreign trade. You also get (some) internal trade income from collecting luxuries. You see the internal income reported on the main screen under bonus income (it is often in the early game of the order of 20 or maybe 200 credits) and I think under spaceport income on the empire summary screen. It is credited when a freighter makes reservations to collect the resources.

To the larger question, financially speaking I would recommend commerce centres on spaceports, mining stations and other locations where you have no choice. (Remember there is a small amount of maintenance for the centre itsefl...) I have not found that other locatiions do sufficient trade to make it worthwhile.

(in reply to MarQan)
Post #: 5
RE: Clarification on Commerce Centers - 6/19/2013 1:18:23 PM   
elanaagain

If I understand the above discussion, resort centers, which do not have a commerce component in the default design, should increase empire revenues if a commerce center were added, and foreigners visited?

USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 6
RE: Clarification on Commerce Centers - 6/19/2013 10:46:01 PM   
MarQan

Resort Base designs cannot be saved unless the Commerce Centre component has been added.

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 7
RE: Clarification on Commerce Centers - 6/20/2013 12:33:55 PM   
elanaagain

Ah, I always start with default resort design and modify it. Did not remember the commerce center.

USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology

(in reply to MarQan)
Post #: 8
RE: Clarification on Commerce Centers - 6/20/2013 5:27:38 PM   
ScottenChi

I am pretty sure it's a good idea to put Commerce Centers on mining stations so you can sell the resources directly at the station, rather than having to move the resources to your space port or planet.

Before Shadows, I used to modify all the AI designs to include a Commerce Center. In Shadows, the AI designs include a CC.

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 9
RE: Clarification on Commerce Centers - 6/23/2013 10:59:53 PM   
LibertyNJ

Thanks to everyone for their input and clearing up how the Commerce Center works.

(in reply to ScottenChi)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Clarification on Commerce Centers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI