Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Migration to planets already at their population cap.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Migration to planets already at their population cap. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Migration to planets already at their population cap. - 6/18/2013 7:24:43 PM   
Bebop Cola

This is an issues I'v e seen across several versions and expansions.

Let's say I have 6 Human colonies and 2 Securan colonies in my empire. All colonies are at their population cap and the popluations are made up solely of their respective race types. Planet quality is a mix, but the Securan worlds aren't necessarily any higher quality than the Human colonies. All colonies have the same tax rate. I also have 2 or 3 resort bases on various gold and dilithium crystal asteroids.

Now, over time I begin to notice that my Securan colonies are suffering a decrease of the Securan population and the appearance of a Human population. Over time, this Human population continues to increase, and the Securan population decreases. Left to it, the Human population eventually supplants the Securan population, leaving the latter at the bare minimum 1M on the world.

Just to be clear, in my example I use Securans, but this happens to any alternate race in my empire. This is intolerable. I mean, with Securans you're not really losing any race abilities, but for most other races I would be. Maybe the migration is scheduled in the brief gaps of time between a tourist transport picking up Securans to visit the resort base and the population growing to fill the void, but it shouldn't happen regardless.

1. A migrant transport that arrives at a planet should not be able to drop off its load of people if there isn't enough room to drop them off without going over the population cap. If there is no other choice but to drop them off, they should be the ones to vanish, not the population that's already there.
2. Migration should not be queued to a planet at or near its population cap in the first place so as to avoid this problem before it begins.
3. I don't know if or when tourists ever return to their home planet, but their departure should not queue the rest of the empire to migrate to the world or for the colony in question to re-populate after their departure.

I mean, I dig that we're talking about numbers representing virtual people here, but it damages the suspension of disbelief when I have to consider that those folks going on vacation are losing their homes either to their neighbor's kids or to squatters from other worlds in the empire. Once they're there, I can't even get rid of them short of using the editor, but I can't get rid of the last 1M at all, leaving the door open for more migration and population growth at the expense of the native population. This really bothers me. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does.
Post #: 1
RE: Migration to planets already at their population cap. - 6/19/2013 10:40:25 AM   
Olek

Is it possible that the policy "assimilate" is causing this?

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 2
RE: Migration to planets already at their population cap. - 6/19/2013 1:49:56 PM   
Bebop Cola

I set all my colonies to "don't accept" for both my race family as well as other race families.

(in reply to Olek)
Post #: 3
RE: Migration to planets already at their population cap. - 6/19/2013 2:19:57 PM   
Osito

There is also a small issue here, a bug perhaps, or maybe it's WAD. I don't think it's responsible for what you're seeing, especially as the Securans ought to have the higher growth rate.

If you have a planet at max pop with two races, each planet having exactly 50% of two races, the race with the higher growth rate will very slowly take over the planet. In the absence of any influx or outflux, this will slowly cause the race with the higher growth rate to predominate.

Osito

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 4
RE: Migration to planets already at their population cap. - 6/20/2013 12:36:25 AM   
Dracus

some will be stripped away to move to other empires that are near thjose planets but it should never drop that low.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Migration to planets already at their population cap. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI