AEGOD

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Challerain

AEGOD

Post by Challerain »

I have a dilemma. It seems that I own every game that AGEOD has made, but I have yet to actually play one. Oh, I've fired them up and looked at the pretty maps, but never really played. I usually get frustrated, quit, fire up WOW and kill lots of dastardly murlocks. Well, I cancelled WOW, saved countless murlocks, and I'd really like to play these games.

So.....any suggestions on which is the best one to start with?

Thanks!
Twotribes

RE: AEGOD

Post by Twotribes »

Never could get used to their interface.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Probably Napoleon's Campaigns and Birth of America 2 are the easiest to get to grips with. IMHO, anyway.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I did play a bit of the Rome one. Same interface problems but still liked it enough to play a month or 2.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

warspite1

+1 I tried Birth of America and latterly Pride of Nations. I guickly gave up on BoA. I still intend to get to grips with PoN but there is something "not right" in the appeal of the interface...
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

+1 I tried Birth of America and latterly Pride of Nations. I guickly gave up on BoA. I still intend to get to grips with PoN but there is something "not right" in the appeal of the interface...

I don't know why so many posters have that issue; I still occaisionally play BoA, but I admit you have to develop the right 'touch' to select and move only the units you want , which has been made easier since AEGOD's Civil war game.

IMO, WEGO is the way for a turned-based game to go.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
mrensing

Post by mrensing »

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've always wanted to like AGEODs games. I've purchased several. But I just don't like them. The interface and mechanics are just off. Played BoA, did not like. Played WWI Gold, did not like. Played ACW, did not like. Which is a shame because I do love some WWI and ACW games. Thank god for Frank Hunter lol.

To be fair there are some Paradox games that I don't care much for either because of the same issues.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Can't say I see the problem moving what you want.

Maybe after playing many, many AACW games I just got used to it.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Count me into the unfan club.
What is it with wargames designers that they don't understand there is need for simplicity in a UI?

That Rome one managed three hours play since release. I'm not fighting the rules and the UI and the Greeks! Just the Greeks.
And the worst, {and that is some award if you think about it,} but the worst tutorial ever .

But lesson learned. You can put up shiny siren Civil War 2 adds all you like Matrix - I'm not buying if the interface has even a sniff of the current in use one.
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

BoA is a game that rewards persistence. You get out of it what you are willing to put into it.

It took me quite awhile to get to this point.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I found AJE pretty easy to understand and play after reading through this AAR. Just reading the first page of the thread clarified so many things. The AGEOD games certainly handle differently than anything else out there and I haven't really got to grips with the other titles I have (BoA 2, RUS). That said, I'm really looking forward to the new ACW title.
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

It's probably one of the worst interfaceds ever made. I don't understand how they continue to make games like this. All of their games are slow moving long wait in between turns that would make anyone yawn. The maps are easy on the eye but the everything else would make me want to go down to the shelter and voluntier my time for free rather than to spend 49.99. To play their new games, I'd rather donate the money where it might do some good..

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys

thanks for all the feedback. We have worked hard to improve the UI in the latest game on the AGEOD engine - Civil War II. It would be great to get you guys in to the beta to see if the changes address any of your concerns and if not hear your feedback and how things could be further improved. The UI is the key to these type of games and getting it right is critical for success so the more feedback we can get on this the better. It is one of the key upgrades we are focusing on.

You can sign up for the beta test here :
http://www.slitherine.com/beta_test

We'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Great games! Just not for the ipod crowd. The games require thought and planning.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

Amazing games - i had thought AGEOD's games would be too complex for me to approach, but i found Rise of Prussia not too difficult to just dive into and learn on the fly. I am encouraged by this to perhaps get their Civil War game when i have funds again soon and also Civil War 2. My big hope is to see Napoleons Campaigns 2 done - this could be the best Napoleonic Era game in the market today!
mrensing

Post by mrensing »

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Great games! Just not for the ipod crowd. The games require thought and planning.

I have spent countless hours in all three incarnations of HOI on the PC. I have spent 8 months playing 3 Days of Gettysburg (board game), Age of Empires (board and computer) and got knows how long trying to wade through my (literally) library of rules for ASL.
Sometimes a particular UI just rubs a person the wrong way. Doesn't mean they are stupid. Try again, bub.

vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: CG_Gamer

I have spent countless hours in all three incarnations of HOI on the PC. I have spent 8 months playing 3 Days of Gettysburg (board game), Age of Empires (board and computer) and got knows how long trying to wade through my (literally) library of rules for ASL.
Sometimes a particular UI just rubs a person the wrong way. Doesn't mean they are stupid. Try again, bub.

Did I call you stupid Bub? That was your own paranoia talking. Sorry you can't handle the interface,you're missing out on some good games.
good luck bub!
wosung

Post by wosung »

So what exactly does make their interface inaccessible and frustrating?
I'm sure Slitherixeod and esp. the 2 Phils from Ageod are interested in your opinion, betas or not.

No need for a piXXing contest about interface using capabilities.

Best regards
wosung
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

Did I call you stupid Bub? That was your own paranoia talking. Sorry you can't handle the interface,you're missing out on some good games.
good luck bub!

"Just not for the ipod crowd." This sounds like you are calling him stupid to me.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: wosung

So what exactly does make their interface inaccessible and frustrating? ....

It takes practice to properly "drag and drop" units a la Microsoft, but my major issue with AGEOD games was the poor Francais en Anglais translations; even if the manual's English is tweaked, the English of the actual in-game messages often isn't, so they aren't always understandable.

Otherwise, the Athena AI engine is one of the best simulations that I've played against.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

Return to “General Discussion”