Smokindave vs. Sapper222 (No Sapper)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

smokindave34

Smokindave vs. Sapper222 (No Sapper)

Post by smokindave34 »

My campaign against "The Pro's" is nearing the bitter end so it's time for another shot at victory in the East. Sapper222 will be my opponent. This will be my fourth campaign as axis with two of them going the distance and one currently in March '42.

A few strategic objectives:

1) Take Leningrad - this will allow me to free up the Finns during the blizzard (along with the obvious manpower loss for the Soviets)
2) Capture as many Soviet units as possible. I learned this the hard away against the Pro's. I captured <1 million Soviets during summer '41 and never recovered. I ran into a wall of Soviet units in '42 which made it very difficult to push the Soviets east.
3) Capture as many manpower centers as possible in an attempt to keep the Red army OOB as low as possible.

Turn 1 AGN:

As much as I enjoy this game I really don't enjoy turn 1 as Axis, maybe since I repeat the same moves every time or maybe since I'm just not that good at turn 1! A decent opening by AGN however Sappers Riga defenders repulse two hasty attacks by my panzers (with pioneers) and Riga holds.

Attachments
AGN.jpg
AGN.jpg (499.99 KiB) Viewed 540 times
smokindave34

RE: Smokindave vs. Sapper222 (No Sapper)

Post by smokindave34 »

AGC:

Fairly standard opening by AGC.

Attachments
AGC.jpg
AGC.jpg (626.24 KiB) Viewed 540 times
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

AGS:

I boned up the AGS opening and Sapper will open the pocket next turn. Hopefully Sapper will use this opportunity to commit some forces to re-open the pocket and I'll be able to trap them turn 2 (I doubt he will but I'll try and be optomistic).

Attachments
AGS.jpg
AGS.jpg (497.94 KiB) Viewed 540 times
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Good luck Smokin' May you trash all other Soviets. You do, however, have to get better at the die rolling than you did at Riga. Did you not have Manstein in command range when you attacked it?

Your norther opening needs to be worked on. if you plough up the middle as you did, lots of commies rout out which makes your job taking L'grad much harder.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

Thanks Sillyflower. It was Reinhardt in XXXXI corps who failed to take Riga - he will be closely watched for the rest of the campaign!

smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

Turn 2 - AGN

Sapper makes me pay for not taking Riga and opens a supply route for the few units I did have in the pocket. I decide to bypass Riga for this turn and move my best infantry divisions east for the assault on Pskov.

Attachments
AGN.jpg
AGN.jpg (619.33 KiB) Viewed 540 times
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

AGC

Sapper put a lot of units in the landbridge and left just a handful of units in the poor terrain SW of Velike Luki. I decide to send XXIX panzer corps north of the Dvina to try and capture the good defensive terrain and also put some pressure on his Pskov line from the south.

Attachments
AGC.jpg
AGC.jpg (632.43 KiB) Viewed 540 times
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

AGS

Sapper is heading for the Denpr while leaving some pickets to slow me down. I suspect he is transferring units north to defend Leningrad and Moscow.

Attachments
AGS.jpg
AGS.jpg (709.38 KiB) Viewed 540 times
bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

about riga:

if you add a pionier btl. to each of the 2 attacking PD one of your hasty attacks takes the city normaly.
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

about riga:

if you add a pionier btl. to each of the 2 attacking PD one of your hasty attacks takes the city normaly.

He mentioned that he did. I however have never lost the Riga battle more than 1x. Shame he missed that one.
bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

oh didnt saw that. hmm then its strange and maybe extremly bad roll.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

oh didnt saw that. hmm then its strange and maybe extremly bad roll.

A new twist to game.

I have been testing some new openings and taking Riga is much harder using the standard set-up.

Yes in the past 1 or 2 HA and you had the city, but there is a close to 50% chance you will fail now doing all 4 HA's.

I found an easy fix.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

Each panzer division had a pioneer attached - and two hasty attacks failed. My biggest disappointment from turn 1. However we march on to Pskov.....
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

I Think there's a good case to be made for not assaulting Riga.It's an unnecessary diversion.I've taken to screening it with a broken down 36th mot div while the rest of 41st pz corps gets on with the more important job of sprinting East.
For example, like so.

Attachments
AGNturn1.jpg
AGNturn1.jpg (283.1 KiB) Viewed 542 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Attacking Riga is a waste of MPS with a chance it may not even fall and mess up your pockets. Better served to just screen it.
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

ORIGINAL: Ketza

Attacking Riga is a waste of MPS with a chance it may not even fall and mess up your pockets. Better served to just screen it.

Its far more of a diversion if he digs in with 3 divisions in a light urban hex. One that is shielded from the South by a big river. For me its Riga at all costs.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I would rather have the Soviet pile troops in to Riga than have them between me and Leningrad. Once Leningrad goes Riga is then toast. I have seen my Soviet opponents reinforce Riga after I bypass it only to then evacuate the place once Leningrad is in peril. I don't wast my time at Riga anymore.
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

I would rather have the Soviet pile troops in to Riga than have them between me and Leningrad. Once Leningrad goes Riga is then toast. I have seen my Soviet opponents reinforce Riga after I bypass it only to then evacuate the place once Leningrad is in peril. I don't wast my time at Riga anymore.

So you don't run your AGN rail line through Riga? That seems to be the most important factor for me getting the rail line up to Pskov then Leningrad.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

No rail thru Riga.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

ORIGINAL: Michael T

So you don't run your AGN rail line through Riga? That seems to be the most important factor for me getting the rail line up to Pskov then Leningrad.

Lol I pointed this out 6 months ago.

Moron after moron kept ignoring me but whats new.

MT's rail line exposes Leningrad and Moscow.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Return to “After Action Reports”