Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/17/2013 3:05:59 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

You will trigger a shock attack, no matter what the troop ratio, if your units cross the river while in "move" mode. So, even when you have the right ratio to avoid a shock attack, your units have to cross in combat mode.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I recently crossed a hexside in move mode (by accident) without triggering one (whew!) and the enemy force outnumbered my force that crossed. I did however have other troops in the hex that had gotten there via a different hexside. Could there be some other factor involved and/or a die roll?

Frozencanid, I think the "A"s and "J"s just designate whose forces were first in a hex. This pins any opposing forces that enter the hex to only be able to leave thru the same hexside they came in.

Thanks for the clarification. So the idealistic Spaniard was correct. My apologies Quixote, I should not have doubted you.

Be careful. Info is being tossed around in this thread which is not 100% correct. I just searched on "hex control" and got many thread hits (Alfred, Treespider in particular have a handle) which have excellent descriptions of the situation in AE, which is to be sure VERY different than that found in WITP or most wargames using ZOCs.

Take a look yourself. It'll help.

The Moose

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 31
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/17/2013 3:29:02 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

You will trigger a shock attack, no matter what the troop ratio, if your units cross the river while in "move" mode. So, even when you have the right ratio to avoid a shock attack, your units have to cross in combat mode.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I recently crossed a hexside in move mode (by accident) without triggering one (whew!) and the enemy force outnumbered my force that crossed. I did however have other troops in the hex that had gotten there via a different hexside. Could there be some other factor involved and/or a die roll?

Frozencanid, I think the "A"s and "J"s just designate whose forces were first in a hex. This pins any opposing forces that enter the hex to only be able to leave thru the same hexside they came in.

Gorn, is this what you think I look like?

Just when you wake up on Monday morning.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 32
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/17/2013 3:40:55 PM   
geofflambert

I don't know how to forward these things, so I took a screenshot.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 33
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/17/2013 3:49:03 PM   
geofflambert

Here's the post Alfred was responding to:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 34
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/17/2013 4:23:33 PM   
kmitahj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
[...]
situation in AE, which is to be sure VERY different than that found in WITP or most wargames using ZOCs.
[...]

VERY different indeed because is - to my knowleadge - the only wargame where nobody really knows the rules according to which the game is played. At least no mortals are allowed to know The Rules - supposedly there is one semi-mythical Creature called "Alfred" which alone knows all the ins & outs of AE Rulebook. It is this Creature mere wargamers are calling in vain when they found themself in situation as desperate as in that thread.

Never so many played a game knowing so little about the rules the game is to be played.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 35
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/17/2013 4:43:14 PM   
geofflambert

I am no mere mortal, I make up my own rules up as I go along, in case you hadn't noticed. I depend not on "knowleadge" but rather on magic. I happen to have some at my disposal. Did you see my earlier post (in another thread) about my hyena farm? Well...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kmitahj)
Post #: 36
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/17/2013 6:21:21 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: kmitahj

VERY different indeed because is - to my knowleadge - the only wargame where nobody really knows the rules according to which the game is played. At least no mortals are allowed to know The Rules - supposedly there is one semi-mythical Creature called "Alfred" which alone knows all the ins & outs of AE Rulebook. It is this Creature mere wargamers are calling in vain when they found themself in situation as desperate as in that thread.

Never so many played a game knowing so little about the rules the game is to be played.

I can attest that Alfred is not semi-mythical.

The Moose

(in reply to kmitahj)
Post #: 37
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/18/2013 2:21:35 AM   
Icedawg

Okay, the suspense is over - no shock attack was triggered. The 21st Division arrived without any fireworks. Apparently, since I owned the hexside, the 1/3 AV requirement didn't matter.

So, as long as you control the hexside, you can cross a river without worry.

Now, what I want to know is why the word "enemy" was shown in red next to the word "river". When I see something in red, whistles and bells go off telling me something really bad is about to happen. In this case, I guess red just happened to be someone's favorite color.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 38
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/18/2013 3:40:55 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

When I see something in red, whistles and bells go off telling me something really bad is about to happen.

DON'T PANIC!

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 39
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/18/2013 4:03:24 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

When I see something in red, whistles and bells go off telling me something really bad is about to happen.

DON'T PANIC!

Did you bring a towel.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 40
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/18/2013 5:00:33 AM   
Justus2

quote:

Okay, the suspense is over - no shock attack was triggered. The 21st Division arrived without any fireworks. Apparently, since I owned the hexside, the 1/3 AV requirement didn't matter.

So, as long as you control the hexside, you can cross a river without worry.

Now, what I want to know is why the word "enemy" was shown in red next to the word "river". When I see something in red, whistles and bells go off telling me something really bad is about to happen. In this case, I guess red just happened to be someone's favorite color.

I think the red 'Enemy' text is always there when entering a hex containing enemy units, regardless of hexside control. It just so happened to be placed next to the blue 'river' text, but no linkage between the two.

Currently Playing:
War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition (learning, not really playing ;) )
LST 325 Fanboy!

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 41
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/18/2013 5:59:08 AM   
erstad

quote:

This pins any opposing forces that enter the hex to only be able to leave thru the same hexside they came in.

Not quite. Opposing forces can leave through any hexside they own. It does not have to be the hexside that a given unit entered in.

There are cases where this distinction is critical.

Post #: 42
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/18/2013 1:38:49 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

DON'T PANIC!

I guess I just must be more like an Ice Chihuahua or Ice Terrier than an Ice Lab or Ice Golden Retriever.

Since I'm playing as Japan and it's late 1942, I know the hammer is going to be falling soon. As a result, I'm a bit on edge and high strung. Kind of like a little yipper dog anticipating a doorbell about to be rung.

Current Photo Japanese High Command:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icedawg -- 6/18/2013 1:40:36 PM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 43
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/18/2013 5:03:41 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Keep an even strain. It gets MUCH worse for Japan than late 1942!

The Moose

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 44
RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) - 6/18/2013 6:46:52 PM   
Justus2

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

quote:

This pins any opposing forces that enter the hex to only be able to leave thru the same hexside they came in.

Not quite. Opposing forces can leave through any hexside they own. It does not have to be the hexside that a given unit entered in.

There are cases where this distinction is critical.

Is this for voluntary movement, or retreats as well? My understanding is retreat was always through the controlled hexside, is that not the case?

Currently Playing:
War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition (learning, not really playing ;) )
LST 325 Fanboy!

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI