Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Post up your favorite templates

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Post up your favorite templates Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Post up your favorite templates - 6/16/2013 4:10:53 AM   
Falokis

I would recommend using this for an "evil" race. It works best if you set the policy to:

ResearchDesignOverallFocus ;raw power
ResearchDesignTechFocus1 ;construction
ResearchDesignTechFocus2 ;beams
ResearchDesignTechFocus3 ;missiles
ResearchDesignTechFocus4 ;shields
ResearchDesignTechFocus5 ;damage control
ResearchDesignTechFocus6 ;bombard weapons

WarAttacksAllowColonyBombardment: (0) At every opportunity or (1)Against empires we intensely dislike
WarAttacksAllowPlanetDestroying: same as above

NewColonyPopulationPolicyYourRaceFamily 2=Resettle
NewColonyPopulationPolicyAllRaces 4=Exterminate

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Post up your favorite templates - 6/16/2013 9:50:13 PM   
paShadoWn

Well your designs have some flaws.
- collectors on combat ships? have you ever seen them being still?
- 15 engines? i use 8 on my 'fast' ships, because in practice enemies fly to you with their imba number of engines and then you blow them up
- medical center? seriously? even on transports you dont need it cuz troops wont heal fast enough between constant drops
-2 vectoring engines? second adds about 20% to turn rate
- troop compartments on anything but transports? your combat ships would be weak cuz tcomps are huge and some troops will be uselessly stuck in task forces
- ion defence is useless it never works
- you need more than one ion cannon for it to take any effect, or none at all
- 10 armor? railguns say hello
- bombardment? it will stick nukes to it, nukes are junk cuz you can have hvy rails instead
- hyperdeny is worthless cuz its huge and proper design should blow up anything before it charges hyper or scare it away and proceed to cap planets
- 10 shields? it wont fit on early sizes, and 6-8 are usually enough - you can set to retreat when attacked if it isnt

(in reply to Falokis)
Post #: 2
RE: Post up your favorite templates - 6/16/2013 10:35:58 PM   
Falokis

quote:

ORIGINAL: paShadoWn

Well your designs have some flaws.
- collectors on combat ships? have you ever seen them being still?
- 15 engines? i use 8 on my 'fast' ships, because in practice enemies fly to you with their imba number of engines and then you blow them up
- medical center? seriously? even on transports you dont need it cuz troops wont heal fast enough between constant drops
-2 vectoring engines? second adds about 20% to turn rate
- troop compartments on anything but transports? your combat ships would be weak cuz tcomps are huge and some troops will be uselessly stuck in task forces
- ion defence is useless it never works
- you need more than one ion cannon for it to take any effect, or none at all
- 10 armor? railguns say hello
- bombardment? it will stick nukes to it, nukes are junk cuz you can have hvy rails instead
- hyperdeny is worthless cuz its huge and proper design should blow up anything before it charges hyper or scare it away and proceed to cap planets
- 10 shields? it wont fit on early sizes, and 6-8 are usually enough - you can set to retreat when attacked if it isnt

-fleets sit still all the time
-15 engines are so I can set my smaller ships with lots of missiles to "standoff" and they will never take a hit from slow ships or at the very least can move away at will.
-I think any ship that carries troops can handle the 4 units needed for a med center and the benefit
-Troop transport on mid to high end ships is a good thing because you always have 100k+ troops in any fleet ready to invade.
-10 armor hurts at the start. after repair robots come into play, railguns are worthless
-hyperdeny works great for smaller ship that stand at max range firing missiles, it allows smaller faster ships to chop down larger, slower ones

Feel free to post up something. I'm interested.

< Message edited by Falokis -- 6/16/2013 10:37:06 PM >

(in reply to paShadoWn)
Post #: 3
RE: Post up your favorite templates - 6/16/2013 11:14:56 PM   
paShadoWn

- fleets sit still all the time? Yeeeah i get it youre one of those peese-loving hippies or what. Man, if your fleets are not blowing something up (they are, noticeably, moving when doing so) you built them for sole purpose: to burn maintenance.

- 15 engines for standoff? Useless because large ships are slow because of mass and if you have 'really' lots of missiles they will rest in pieces before they catch up to 8 engines. Usually they go down from alpha.

- man i repeat troop pods make ships weak because they waste space and give neither tank nor dmg. You have 'one' fleet made from unarmed transports 'only' and you manually drop on planets. Scripts for planetary assaults are ****, they will suicide your troops on homeworld REPEATEDLY or drop then THEN bombard them. Or simply go for some unimportant backward holes first. No troops on auto fleets is a rule.

-10 armor hurts at the start you mean they eat steel? i do not even start building fleets before 4-5 steel mines close to shipyards, after that i have no deficit of it. Repairbots are very far in tech tree if youre not Ikkuro, and if you play 500k tech like i do it is long time before you get them; and they 'help' vs railguns not 'negate' them. All railguns alpha no recharge (filled to reactor power cap) bullshits still one-shoot everything even with repairbots on it. And monsters love munching on low armor ships.

- hyperdeny is useful with what you said? wont argue, but i do not use this tactic, i prefer to alpha everything instead of wasting time on slow whittling; and if their large ships got missile too your small are screwed regardless of hyperdeny; from what ive seen in shadows ai loves missles.

You think you can freely waste 4 space on early ships? Thats what will get you screwed. 4 space is an extra gun, or whopping 4 armor.

Have you played Wargame:Airland Battle? There them US have big launchers on unarmored jeeps yes they are fast but this is secondary because rockets one-shoot a tank. If you have enough alpha rest doesnt matters, go read on suicide ganking fits in hi-sec.

< Message edited by paShadoWn -- 6/16/2013 11:37:42 PM >

(in reply to Falokis)
Post #: 4
RE: Post up your favorite templates - 6/17/2013 2:48:17 AM   
MarQan

How do I load your designs in-game?

(in reply to paShadoWn)
Post #: 5
RE: Post up your favorite templates - 6/17/2013 4:58:34 AM   
Falokis

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarQan

How do I load your designs in-game?

C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\designTemplates\<race you are trying to edit>

Just drop these over the default race template you want to use them. You may want to save a copy of the original. After that, I suggest starting the game and using the in game policy editor to make the adjustments suggested above. Then just play that race to see what you think or play against them.

< Message edited by Falokis -- 6/17/2013 4:59:12 AM >

(in reply to MarQan)
Post #: 6
RE: Post up your favorite templates - 6/17/2013 4:26:26 PM   
paShadoWn

I loaded 300 size autodesign when starting new game. When i threw out all junk from it, i fitted there eight more guns and 2 shields.

(in reply to Falokis)
Post #: 7
RE: Post up your favorite templates - 6/18/2013 12:49:18 AM   
Astax

I want to make my own autodesigns, but I do not want to mess up a ny of the other races... so I think I will make my own race from scratch :)

(in reply to paShadoWn)
Post #: 8
RE: Post up your favorite templates - 6/18/2013 8:28:00 AM   
MarQan

Wow, a new race?
How can I do that? :)

(in reply to Astax)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Post up your favorite templates Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI