Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!Reinforcements on the Frontline!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Levels 2 & 3 Airbases

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Levels 2 & 3 Airbases Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/16/2013 4:09:45 AM   
39battalion

Can level bombers ( i.e Bettys and Nells ), within range of an AirHQ with torpedo ordnance, launch torpedo bomber attacks from level 2 and level 3 airbases without penalty ?

Apologies if the answer to this is obviously stated somewhere, but after an extensive search I can't find a definitive answer.

Thx
Post #: 1
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/16/2013 4:13:06 AM   
geofflambert

I've heard something somewhere that you don't have to be at the same base as the HQ with the inventory, but I don't know what the details are. Someone will come along and explain it.

(in reply to 39battalion)
Post #: 2
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/16/2013 4:48:11 AM   
Quixote

Short answer - Betties and Nells will carry torpedoes out to regular range from AF2 and AF3 bases as long as they have an HQ supplied with torpedoes to draw from.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/16/2013 5:16:02 AM   
39battalion

Thanks guys

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 4
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/16/2013 3:14:48 PM   
obvert

The HQ does not have to be in the same base as the strike planes, just within it's command range, and the base must have adequate supply (not with a yellow or red flag). I believe 2E torpedo bombers must be in a level 3 field, but maybe it is level 2. Can't remember that now. I do know a 2E will not carry it's full bomb load from a level 2 base, but will use the extended range load.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 5
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/17/2013 1:37:41 PM   
39battalion

Thanks Obvert.

I will try using 2E level bombers using torps from a level 2 field and see what happens.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 6
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/17/2013 1:45:34 PM   
tigercub

I think you need 3size with HQ and supply 10,000...normal range.

Tiger

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

Post #: 7
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/17/2013 4:49:33 PM   
Quixote

quote:

I think you need 3size with HQ and supply 10,000...normal range.

It takes maybe 10 minutes to set up a trial for this if you want to check it personally. I used the 1000 mile scenario for the results below. AF2, less than 10K supplies. Betties attack at normal range with torpedoes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 8
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/17/2013 5:18:05 PM   
LoBaron

Interesting discussion guys, FYI the correct answer is two mouseklicks away...

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 9
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/17/2013 6:25:28 PM   
obvert

I've attacked with Netties using torpedoes from a size three and I'm pretty certain a size two looking at my air HQ notes....

According to info posted years ago from MichealM and also saved in my notes---

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

From SuluSea's post in that thread.
---------------------------------

Torpedo Ordnance

Plus you need the supply available at the base:
for AF 4+, you 2 times (or 1 time with an air/command hq present) base's required supply
for AF 3, you 5 times (or 1 time with a air/command hq present) base's required supply
for AF 2, you 6 times (or 2 times with a air/command hq present) base's required supply
for AF 1, you 7 times (or 3 times with a air/command hq present) base's required supply

You need a supply of torpedoes PLUS the supply requirements listed.
One without the other means can't use torpedoes.
BFs only supply the torpedoes. If no HQ, then you need to use the higher supply rates.

-------------------------

This is highly enlightening. Man, how many things can there be that I don't understand correctly still?

I had always thought no strike missions could be flown from a level 1 base. So is this due to the supply required? It would usually be over the supply limit unless the port was built up.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 10
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/17/2013 7:24:14 PM   
czert2

But well how i find base requred supply ? and it means that even without hq (and range to get torpedos from there) i can launch torpedo strikes anyway ?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 11
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/17/2013 7:42:07 PM   
Quixote

The link provided by LoBaron and SuluSea's chart notwithstanding, light bombers will NOT attack from a level 1 airfield. Regardless of supply. Regardless of support. Regardless of anything, really. Again, you can try this out for yourself in a test scenario - the setup takes maybe 15 minutes. I only has the patience to run 30 turns this time, but based on both testing and the manual, Betties will never attack with torpedoes from an AF1.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 12
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/17/2013 8:08:45 PM   
LoBaron

I found the attack mission rule for lvl 1AF suspicious as well.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 13
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/18/2013 6:39:28 AM   
39battalion

Wow this question turned out to be a much trickier issue than I expected.

This game(simulation) continues to challenge and to delight. The best gaming investment I ever made.

And this forum continues to be a friendly and helpful source of relevant information. Thanks guys.

Too bad I just lost 3 carriers in my PBEM game

Nonetheless my understanding of the game mechanics is gradually improving

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 14
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/18/2013 1:37:54 PM   
czert2

39batalion - if you are allied dont woryr about lost CVs, you will have plenty of them game, even having no carriers in whole 42/43 just only slown down you final push to win as allied commander (unless you lose to points :o, but many players keep plaing after "victory" for japanese side).
If you are japanese - lets allied are mercy on your soul.

Post #: 15
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/18/2013 1:55:51 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

I've attacked with Netties using torpedoes from a size three and I'm pretty certain a size two looking at my air HQ notes....

According to info posted years ago from MichealM and also saved in my notes---

quote:

From SuluSea's post in that thread.

Torpedo Ordnance

for AF 4+, you 2 times (or 1 time with an air/command hq present) base's required supply
for AF 3, you 5 times (or 1 time with a air/command hq present) base's required supply
for AF 2, you 6 times (or 2 times with a air/command hq present) base's required supply
for AF 1, you 7 times (or 3 times with a air/command hq present) base's required supply

BFs only supply the torpedoes. If no HQ, then you need to use the higher supply rates.

This is highly enlightening. Man, how many things can there be that I don't understand correctly still?

I had always thought no strike missions could be flown from a level 1 base. So is this due to the supply required? It would usually be over the supply limit unless the port was built up.

My feelings exactly. I've played UV, WiTP and now AE going back to UV's original release and I stilll say stuff like this to myself. That's why this game is so great.

I've played some computer games that can be mastered in a couple hours. I don't think AE can be mastered in a couple lifetimes! I sure hope Hindus are correct about reincarnation.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 16
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/18/2013 6:02:28 PM   
czert2

I allways thought that AB lvl1 is for figher operations only and that you need lvl2+ to carry any strike missions with non-fighters.
And im still puzzled why i cant lauch torpedo stikes from lvl 6 base with over 50k+ supply (using torpedos is red) and yes, hq have torpedos loades and yes, that unit is outside range from hq - unit is 13 hex away and hq have range of 5.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 17
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/18/2013 7:33:57 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: czert2

I allways thought that AB lvl1 is for figher operations only and that you need lvl2+ to carry any strike missions with non-fighters.

As mentioned already some people, including myself, think this is an error. Lvl 1 AB does not allow offensive missions.

quote:

And im still puzzled why i cant lauch torpedo stikes from lvl 6 base with over 50k+ supply (using torpedos is red) and yes, hq have torpedos loades and yes, that unit is outside range from hq - unit is 13 hex away and hq have range of 5.

You say yourself, the unit is outside hq range, so what is puzzling about its´ inability to laumch torpedo attacks?

I posted above link because it contains most of the answers to the questions asked here, not because the answers are particularily accurate. You need torp odnance in range, and since in unmodded games no units except HQs have torpedo ordnance, this means you need an HQ in range no matter what.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 18
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/18/2013 9:21:35 PM   
czert2

quote:

quote:

You say yourself, the unit is outside hq range, so what is puzzling about its´ inability to laumch torpedo attacks?

I posted above link because it contains most of the answers to the questions asked here, not because the answers are particularily accurate. You need torp odnance in range, and since in unmodded games no units except HQs have torpedo ordnance, this means you need an HQ in range no matter what.

Why im puzzled ?
because of this posted earlier :

Torpedo Ordnance

I thought that if you dont have hq in range you will only pay more supply to create/lauch torpedo strikes.
Or this tabble refering only to cost of creating torpedos ? If yes, then why it is here cost for outside hq range, since torps can be created only at hq ?

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 19
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/18/2013 10:01:40 PM   
LoBaron

The critical part of the text you quoted is the part you did not quote.

quote:

Torpedo Ordnance

The last line, hinting that BFs would supply the torpedoes, is simply wrong. It was initially considered to add torp supply to some BFs, but this was never implemented. This is what I was referring to in my previous post.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 20
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/19/2013 2:12:50 AM   
Quixote

This hints at nothing, and links to nothing. It's just correct.
(Note: I ran my tests exclusively in stock. I assume that the results hold true for most mods as well, but you know what they say about assuming.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 21
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/19/2013 6:48:10 AM   
LoBaron

Good test. It matches the description for AB2 with air HQ in the quote.

There are 'only' two things incorrect in the original quote, IMHO:

1) BFs do not supply torps on their own. This means, you need to have an air HQ in range to supply them, else it will be a bombing run independent of the other criteria met.
2) AB1 does not allow for offensive missions, you need at least AB2 for that.

quote:

Torpedo Ordnance

for AF 3+: a air/command hq present and 1 time base's required supply
for AF 2: a air/command hq present and 2 times base's required supply

You need a supply of torpedoes (means: an air HQ with torpedo ordnance in range) PLUS the supply requirements listed.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 22
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/19/2013 6:58:37 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quixote
"HQ, in range, with torpedoes"

Did you run the test with an air HQ at base, or not at base but within command radius?
This might make a difference.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 23
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/20/2013 7:20:10 AM   
39battalion

@czert2 (post #15) : unfortunately I am playing as the Japanese. It's May 42 and three of my carriers are beneath the waves. Fortunately they are not all fleet carriers (1 CV, 1 CVL and 1 CVE) so it could have been worse. And now at least I know where his carriers are

But,as you say, now I am praying for mercy and for the Gods of War to be kind to me

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 24
RE: Levels 2 & 3 Airbases - 6/22/2013 6:50:50 PM   
HexHead

In my PbeM, which is stock, I just used a Turn to 'test' something.

Looks like I've been running Port Attk & Nav Attk out of a level 1 AF. Those aren't offensive Missions?

I don't have the app up, but will if details are needed here.

"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Levels 2 & 3 Airbases Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI