DV vs Sillyflower/Belphagor (Game Over - Open Thread)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Disgruntled Veteran

DV vs Sillyflower/Belphagor (Game Over - Open Thread)

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

Decided to take the plunge and start another campaign. I am a bit concerned that the duo will shut me down pretty hard but I also figure it will help me learn a lot of Soviet tricks. I've got a lot of commitments right now so keeping up an AAR might be a bit daunting but I'll do my best to keep it updated. I just sent back T1 so I'll post in a couple days when this turn is sent back.

Started with traditional sack of Riga, Lvov opening, and neglected Airfield bombing and Ground support in order to provide maximum refueling on T1. I figure it almost helps the Soviets out to rid them of their ancient planes so let the Pro's waste AP's reconfiguring their Air Force. Update coming soon!
cpt flam

RE: DV vs Sillyflower/Belphagor (No Pro's)

Post by cpt flam »

Best wishes for your action.[:)]
You will need some luck.
Will it be fix weather ?
juret

Post by juret »

GL
Disgruntled Veteran

Thanks! I'll need it against these guys.

T2 is finished and sent back. All pockets held and good progress is made. About another 16-20 units pocketed but around half are security units. Still, at least they will not be on the map.

AGC strikes north of Vitebsk and is across the Daugavala in force. AGS makes decent progress. A full pictoral Update with losses and all when T3 comes back.
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]T3 - July 3, 1941[/center]

Before German moves, after Recon

So finally got T3 back. Attached along with the save was a quip from Sillyflower saying that they love to annoy axis players..I agree. T3 was a bit annoying but not critical. First we have the Northern Theater.

1- 4Pz cleared some hexes and cut off 2 infantry and about 5-6 misc smaller formations. The Pro's managed to open the pocket and successfully attack one of my panzer regiments. MY goal with 4PZ was to clear the way for the infantry. Even with T3 all I want to do is secure a bridgehead across the Pskov river and allow infantry and rails to catch up. In fact thats the plan across the front.

2- I Corps managed to get its infantry across the river last turn so they will be able to help seal in whatever units I can keep trapped this turn. I should be able to get the rest of AGN's infantry across the river this turn.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (264.37 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Disgruntled Veteran

Center Front

My standard opening in the Center. Pro's have fled behind the river and are mirroring my movements. They will stay just out of range for me to trap them but close enough to be a pest. They managed to open all but one of my pockets this turn. (Except for the one's formed on T1)

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (209.39 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Disgruntled Veteran

Southern Front

1- Here we see an isolated Tank division send my FBD unit into a tailspin as the Reds routed my rail guys and severed my fledgling rail line. Again, its an annoyance but not critical. I should have those tank divisions annihilated this turn.

2- Even with 4-5 hexes of friendly hex as a buffer 2 Tank divisions sever the Panzer Spearhead isolating XXIV Pz Corps. Granted they lose those 2 Tank divisions next turn but maybe it was worth it. Probably going to do a HQ buildup this turn for XXIV Pz Corps.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (195.63 KiB) Viewed 156 times
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

This doesn't look good at all for you. The Pro's are indeed showing their quality.
Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: SigUp

The Pro's are indeed showing their quality.

I agree. If the "Pro's" don't step up their game they will quickly lose their reputation. In all seriousness I don't share the pessimism. They are giving up a lot of ground and my fleet of bombers are keeping my Panzer spearheads well fueled up. They were irritating last turn but not critical by any means. I think of it like this, If your spearheads aren't getting attacked then your not penetrating far enough. The Pro's have given up a lot of ground near Pskov that could easily have been held this turn. This also allowed 3rd Pz to exploit North of Vitebsk and isolate 3 divisions. Hopefully this yields some solid gains.

All AGN infantry is across the river except for the OKH reinforcements which were just assigned to 16. Army. Also of note my Rail line is moving East instead of through Riga (hat tip Michael)

[center]TURN 3 AFTER GERMAN MOVES[/center]

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (165.81 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]TURN 3 AFTER GERMAN MOVES[/center]

The bigger picture. AGC infantry is making decent speed. 3pz infantry are across the River and are helping exploit north of Vitebsk. 4th and 9th armies are catching up to the tanks, but likely will not be that useful until T5. I aim to secure the East bank of the River in the next 3 turns.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (178.66 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Disgruntled Veteran

I didn't save before I ended the turn and AGS was finished last. Overall the Duo fled at least 6 hexes East and in some cases around 10. I used my tanks to clear all the hexes for the infantry next turn. Like AGC I have left the opening big pocket to the devices of axis allies and a few German Jager units. It will take longer to destroy but nearly all of German infantry in AGS are marching East. I also bagged 2 tank and 1 motor division. I have a feeling the Duo likes sacrificing these to preserve Rifle units. Why would you leave a motorized division as a suicide city garrison? No pictures on the South until next turn.
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]TURN 4 [/center]

Army Group North Continues to advance in the wake of a steady Soviet withdrawal. Here we see a driving thrust by Pz4 which isolates 2 divisions in the swamps. I'm not very crazy about this pocket and it will likely be broken. Has I the extra mp's I would have gladly routed them out of there but no such capabilities were available.

I'm also a little concerned about by flank of the entire panzer group. When I loaded my save to make this AAR I realized my flank was a little weak. He can't cut off the whole army but if he sacrificed a good mobile division he could tighten the supply road a bit and displace 2 of my HQ's. For all the attention I gave this move..this was a foolish mistake. We'll see if the Pro's capitalize. My rail is running straight East right now, but North of the Daugavala.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (158.49 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]TURN 4[/center]

AGC is moving very well. The Pro's left a lot of strength near Smolensk and the entire Southern stretch of the Dnepr. Sorry but I have no desire to bang my head against a river and face reserve activations..I'll bypass the strong points and eliminate an army while I'm at it.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (201.72 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]TURN 4[/center]

AGS is also moving very well but my rail situation is borderline bad. The Pro's really jammed up my Northern AGS rail unit by severing my main line in two places. Luckily this game I decided to run my 11. Army FBD NE so my rail is actually in a decent position, but I had hoped to have a solid line running East both in the North Ukraine and South. The Pro's abandon Odessa leaving no fight for the Romanians.

Here we see a pocket with a whole mix of units. I could have smashed a hole in the Dnepr line but I wanted to trap units instead. I'm not even sure if I will cross in force next turn...probably going to be T6 when I have a safe reliable bridgehead.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (141.14 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]TURN 5 [/center]

Some notes before continuing:

-One of the first things I do in 41 is optimize my Corps by getting 8:8 and 3 per army. This keeps all my Corps and my armies under Command limit. This frees up a lot of Corps' and for these I attach directly to the AG's or OKH. As you can see in my first screenshot (or not quite yet) I am using XXXVIII Corps,previously under 18. Army now AGN, to start clearing out the emptied Estonia. I am also using another Corps with 2 divisions broken into regiments to start screening the swamps between Novgorod and Velikye Luki. Just a thought.

-Your Flamm Panzer SU's are the strongest SU the axis get until heavy panzer battalions start arriving. You get to keep these until December I believe. Anyway, I usually send these to OKH right away to keep them for specialty missions. You'll lose them in movement attrition in the first few turns and they suck gasoline like a full division. No, I use these to attach to infantry when I start hitting a brick wall. I used 2 of them on T5. One in AGC to knock a ruskie out of a swamp, the other was assigned to an AGS Motor division after he crossed the Dnepr. I assigned it to help the motor division hold the bridgehead.

More to follow.

T5 I had 5 holds, 2 scouts, 29 retreats, 6 routs, and 7 surrenders. The Pro's broke all 3 pockets from T4 but they are resealed with more of their comrades inside. T5 was good to me. I don't think the Pro's have a lot of recourse..we'll see.

AGN surrounds Pskov and about 9 units. We are in position to assault the Luga next turn.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (184.95 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]TURN 5[/center]

AGC reforms the main pocket and forms another and clears a lot of swamps for the 9th army to come into action next turn. I'm not crazy about 3Pz being thrown into the swamps near Velikye Luki but this is the closest spot to the railhead and its paying dividends right now. Plus the Pro's left it relatively unguarded which allowed me to flip a lot of hexes. As you can see 2nd and 3rd Pz are in a position to wheel hard East and flank Smolensk next turn. If the Russians hold the Dnepr I see another pocket in the making.

60th Motor division gets assigned to 2nd Pz.

The 2nd Army gets excellent mp rolls and forms a tight pocket around 2 mech divisions while crossing the Berezina in force.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (189.65 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]TURN 5[/center]

AGS continues to drive relentlessly forward. I had horrible mp rolls this turn as the Pro's, while rescuing the pocket, strangled the supply line of my mech units to 1 hex. I did however seal this pocket with a vengeance. I also forded a bridgehead and cleared a 4 hex opening for the infantry to make the bridgehead permanent next turn. I did attach 1 flamm panzer, 1 stug, and 1 flak unit directly to my motor division that crossed. Only 1 division could get across so it will likely suffer horrible attrition as its thrown back. However, this will require a lot of strength to dislodge and will tie down more units on the River.

If I secure a bridgehead next turn and get infantry across I will likely turn 1Pz South to trap more units and assist the Romanians.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (208.12 KiB) Viewed 156 times
bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

wow your railhead in the center are realy near the front. good job. the pros seem to be not that pro because they fought forward and allowed you to pocket some units in west ukraine.

like we say in germany "they too cook only with water".:)
Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

wow your railhead in the center are realy near the front. good job. the pros seem to be not that pro because they fought forward and allowed you to pocket some units in west ukraine.

like we say in germany "they too cook only with water".:)

Yah I always double up on the line running through Vilnius. Once pass Vilnius they split. One goes NE towards Vitebsk the other goes towards Minsk and go continue on SE or E depending on the need. So far the campaign fares well. We'll see how brutal it gets once I close in on Leningrad and cross the Dnepr.
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]TURN 7[/center]

Overall turn 7 was a mix of moving my units up and having to think the next few moves ahead as my capabilities were limited...except in the North.

In the North I had 1 hold and about 15-20 retreat/routes. Much of the Northern Front is routed. Had I a few more Corps I could have simply wreaked utter havoc on him but I think the damage is done. I still have some swamps to grind through but sealing Leningrad should be relatively easy. Right now I'm thinking of sealing off Karelia and trapping the 8-10 divisions arrayed against the Finns.

My best leaders and best SU's (pioneers, Flamm Panzers etc) are now directly attached to AGN's divisions.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (182.64 KiB) Viewed 156 times

Return to “After Action Reports”