ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3
I would agree that I should not use 4Es on deployed ground troops in close proximity to my front lines - and even a rule that says no ground attack by 4Es on hexes where friendly troops are also present.
This one is good HR imho.
ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3
1. This would allow me to bomb a defending unit into oblivion the move before I landed.....
2. As there is no way to interdict supply lines - as happened certainly across all the major theatres of war, the only way to bomb these is to do ground attack....
Roger, believe me, you don't need to bomb LCUs (especially while we're talking about islands) to interdict supplies... This game is all about supplies.
If you bomb the airfields for a week or two, and if the base has no 7+ forts, the supplies evaporate very very easily... 20 000 supplies? 2 or 3 raids of 100 4Es and there's no supplies.
From the Japanese perspective, I'd even say it's a waste of resources to try to resupply such a contested base. With no supplies your opponents' LCUs are weak as kittens.
And bombing the airfields you do disrupt (and destroy) LCUs.
This is a way "round", but in my opinion closer to reality.
You will receive almost the same but it just needs more time.
Things look different in Burma or China etc. where the flow of supplies is different.
However, if I could do something with it, I'd banned the whole land bombing mission from the 4E squadrons mission view.
So, from a different perspective, maybe 4Es raids should be HR-allowed if there is fort level 7+ ? In such conditions 2Es don't actually hurt a lot and some "more serious means" are needed...
Ark is my excellent opponent and he and I disagree greatly on this matter. It also bugs me that so many Japanese players start to moan about Allied air power in 1944 when then game gives them so many advantages early on. In 1942, I faced massive Japanese bombing attacks in China and Australia that tore up my ground units. Ark has managed to completely destroy a few units in his day. We are playing scen #2 where he still had pools full of excellent 2nd generation fighters and all of his strategic points are covered my massive CAP that would destroy any un-escorted strategic attempts. So you guys would like to see a house rule that says I have to bomb these strategic targets and get slaughtered or don't use my 4Es at all. You are so ready to put HRs on the one real Allied strength throughout the game but start to moan when we AFBs bitch about factors that favors the Japanese. The Allies chose to not use their 4Es tactically because they had the option to use them strategically, not because they could not...I choose to use mine tactically because I want to and can. In exchange, Ark gets to keep his aircraft factories until I invade Japan Sounds like a fair trade to me.
Below are some of the reasons why I choose to follow this course.
1. Fighter bombers, the traditional Allied ground support units are virtually useless in the game.
2. Allied medium bombers are always in very short supply. To limit close ground support to just mediums would prove to be a wonderful bonus to the Japanese player because they can produce literally thousands of Japanese medium bombers. It would basically give tactical superiority to Japan until almost 1945. In April 1945 I am producing roughly 80-90 medium bombers of all types..my pools are still virtually empty.
3. In our game we have heavy restrictions on night bombing. Daylight bombing without escort vs franks, jacks, georges is nothing but suicide. My losses would not be sustainable.
4. I spent the first two years of our campaign fighting for air superiority. In scen 2 you can expect air parity to come about one year later than historically happened. I have seen every betty and nell unit torpedo capable. (Yeah, that really happened). I have suffered through the great tojo infestation of mid 42 to early 43. I ate Jap bombs in China, Burma, India, Australia and the South Pacific like my dog eats pancakes, and my ships swallowed up enough torpedoes during his happy times. I am still stuck with 500 pound bombs on my mediums and 1,000 on my DB while I know he will be getting planes that carry 800 kg bombs. Ark had his fun. Now I got a gazillion heavy bombers and he is just going to have to howl about it.
Yeah, I know my big boys are a bit overpowered vs your poor, poor infantry units.
But you know, I am somehow learning to deal with the guilt......
Oh yeah, and when are you JFBs going to start begging for a HR that prevents you from using Japanese Army and Navy planes together. Sheeesh...give me a break.
Amen-CRSutton...you JFBs are a bunch of whinning little girls when the tables finally go against you. This thread reminds me of a WiFcon convention I had the pleasure to attend. Old Grognard Mike(A vietnam vet)was playing Japan and got knocked out in early 43. Young player Andrew(germany) knew he was next and wanted to quit.. I was sitting at the next table as Mike turned and said.."you aint gonna quit. Your gonna suck it up and let the allies have some fun".
< Message edited by bigred -- 6/13/2013 7:16:03 AM >