So i came to a conclusion that the whole pirate base system is sick and must be put down.
Instead, make a new set of intelligence missions:
- Infiltrate government: makes empire to accept your protection fee
- Establish protection racket: siphons percentage of planet income
- Establish smuggling ring: gives your freighters free access to empire resources
- Establish docks district: gives you ability to build ships on the planet (thus eliminating helpless, cheesy constructor event)
- build casino: if relations with empire good enough, construct a resort facility on planet with no mfing way to demo it except bombardment or doom star
- establish hacker network: steals a percentage of empire research and gives full visibility
Recently i took up Shadows and dismissed shadow empire as boring (really, who needs to wait 2 hours before at last getting to galactic conquest if playing on max tech costs? certainly not me).
Pirates though picqued my attention by being elusive (no ties to planets, can hide anywhere), looting and new. Well, right off the bat i ran into automation bug (if you change policies and designs before unpausing first time game breaks) then i found that pirates have broken money sink: their bases. 30k, demo'd in every raid. Soon after i found a colony ship and guess what? After a raid my pd fought my hidden base!
And the corresponding set of counter missions like establish secret police or something to combat pirate influence.
No, seriously, what sane pirate would build base on planet(hidden, yeeeeah...)for 6 times space base cost, get it destroyed on yearly basis but continue to persist?
Most of the missions should be available to pirate captains as well.
And the ability of pirates to directly control planets should be removed. If we wanted to play normal empire we would do so at start. Thus if pirate gets a colonizer (finds it or builds at controlled dock) the planet it colonizes becomes independent or belonging to empire colonizer was built at.
< Message edited by paShadoWn -- 6/10/2013 11:59:15 AM >