Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/10/2013 11:17:03 AM   
resinslinger

I posted this in my Update on Panzergrenadier Scenarios to JTCS thread but I felt it might be prudent to make a new thread about it here as well. I don't quite understand why the only variant of SdKfz 250 HT in WF is the 250/9 and almost all of the variants of this little vehicle are in EF. If someone hasn't already done so, I'd like to port these variants from EF over to WF. As most of you know, these little vehicles played an important role on the WF, especially in North Africa. If I do this, all I need to know is the answer to this question. Do any of the bmp files from the EF Special Folder need to be ported over as well?

Someone suggested that it might be a good idea to come up with armored commanders for the PzGren (HT) and Panzer (Tank) units. If there were enough interest, then I'd like to give a go at making them.

Chris.

In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.
Post #: 1
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/10/2013 5:15:46 PM   
Crossroads

Yes you need to bring in all the relevant bitmap (bmp) and outline (bit) files from EF, without forgetting to look at the Specials subfolder for alternative bitmaps like desert or winter camo.

Then, you need to bring the relevant lines from EF platoon01.oob to WF platoon01.oob, ensuring that the unit numbers will be unique. After that, the weapon.pdt need to have the added units and their hard and soft attack values entered. These two files you will need to have encrypted by Matrix.

Finally, unittext.txt need to be updated to include the Unit descriptions that come up with the F2 key.

Hope this helps :)

Gott Mit Uns! (Breitenfeld 1631)

Blitz callsign Battle Kat

(in reply to resinslinger)
Post #: 2
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/11/2013 1:17:55 AM   
Jason Petho

One issue to be aware of is the limit to platoon ID's available.

Jason Petho

Petho Cartography

Mapping Military History

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/11/2013 1:50:06 AM   
resinslinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Jason Petho

If I am looking at this correctly, the WF German platoon.oob has 999 slots of which 543 are taken. That should mean that I can add 456 more units, if I were nuts enough to try. Is this correct or are you speaking of something else when you speak of platoon ID's? Thanks. Chris.

In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 4
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/11/2013 1:51:42 AM   
resinslinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: resinslinger

quote:

Jason Petho

If I am looking at this correctly, the WF German platoon.oob has 999 slots of which 543 are taken. That should mean that I can add 456 more units, if I were nuts enough to try. Is this correct or are you referring to something else when you speak of platoon ID's? Thanks. Chris.

Post #: 5
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/11/2013 1:53:22 AM   
resinslinger

Now see what I mean about how old I am. I friggin' quoted myself. Now that shows how many active brain cells I have.

Post #: 6
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/11/2013 6:26:45 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

quote:

Jason Petho

If I am looking at this correctly, the WF German platoon.oob has 999 slots of which 543 are taken. That should mean that I can add 456 more units, if I were nuts enough to try. Is this correct or are you speaking of something else when you speak of platoon ID's? Thanks. Chris.

It is not quite that straight forward as certain ranges have special capabilities. 400 series are leaders, transports have a range of their own, etc.

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 6/11/2013 6:43:52 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/11/2013 11:17:13 AM   
resinslinger

What can get quite confusing is when you have a unit that has a series number but has nothing to do with that series number. For example; P01725 PzKw 35-R 731(f) light tank but within that same 700 series range you have P01738 Chetnik Platoon. Okay, that might mean that the 700 series is reserved for captured equipment and foreign Axis units. If that is the case, then why is P01005 PzKpfw 35(t) in the 000 series along with other German armored units when is should be in the 700 series along with the other captured equipment? I think my best bet is to try to unravel the way some platoon.oobs unit numbers are all jumbled up. If I were to rewrite a platoon.oob so that all units of a particular series 000, 100, 200, 300, etc., would it affect the game?

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 8
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/11/2013 1:21:56 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

What can get quite confusing is when you have a unit that has a series number but has nothing to do with that series number. For example; P01725 PzKw 35-R 731(f) light tank but within that same 700 series range you have P01738 Chetnik Platoon. Okay, that might mean that the 700 series is reserved for captured equipment and foreign Axis units. If that is the case, then why is P01005 PzKpfw 35(t) in the 000 series along with other German armored units when is should be in the 700 series along with the other captured equipment? I think my best bet is to try to unravel the way some platoon.oobs unit numbers are all jumbled up. If I were to rewrite a platoon.oob so that all units of a particular series 000, 100, 200, 300, etc., would it affect the game?

Isn't the PzKw35 a Czech tank with the factories producing them for the German Army to supplement their numbers due to German factories not producing enough PzKwIII's and II's? More a take over than a capture?
The Axis captured equipment was mostly from equipment captured in the field and restored by the front line units?

But, do not let me guess at what the Talonsoft developers had in mind. Just some rushed random thoughts on my part.

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Post #: 9
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/11/2013 10:24:26 PM   
Warhorse

If you reorder the platoon oob numbers, you will not be able to play any scenario's!! There is a re-order for the modern wars, that is pretty slick, I applied it to the Bulgarians I'm making for the Cold War Mod.

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 10
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/11/2013 11:00:46 PM   
resinslinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

If you reorder the platoon oob numbers, you will not be able to play any scenario's!! There is a re-order for the modern wars, that is pretty slick, I applied it to the Bulgarians I'm making for the Cold War Mod.

I wasn't planning to reorder the actual platoon.oob numbers, such as making the oob number for the Germans platoon009.oob. I spent the better part of the day untangling the WF German oob unit code lines (yes, it was a back-up of the original). Now every unit is in the correct group and in numerical order. I am not sure if it would work the way I have it, but it was more or less for me to see what was and what was not available for ported or new units. At this point, it looks like the 01700 group would be the best place to put stuff. Not a lot of room but more that any of the others.

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 11
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/14/2013 1:13:00 PM   
resinslinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

Yes you need to bring in all the relevant bitmap (bmp) and outline (bit) files from EF, without forgetting to look at the Specials subfolder for alternative bitmaps like desert or winter camo.

Then, you need to bring the relevant lines from EF platoon01.oob to WF platoon01.oob, ensuring that the unit numbers will be unique. After that, the weapon.pdt need to have the added units and their hard and soft attack values entered. These two files you will need to have encrypted by Matrix.

Finally, unittext.txt need to be updated to include the Unit descriptions that come up with the F2 key.

Thanks for the info. I haven't started porting the 250 variants from EF to WF yet. I have looked for the outline (bit) files in EF but I am not sure which ones should be brought over to WF from EF. Any info would be appreciated. Right now, I have just completed the new French units for WF and sent them to Jason to be encrypted. Then I can resume work on my scenario conversions. I did have to rewrite the unittext file for these new units and found out that three units listed in that file are not represented by the game. Those units are the Panhard 178 (I used the German captured vehicle for it), the AMD 50 armored car, and the AMD 80 armored car. I guess these were omitted somewhere along the line but if I find them in my original TS WF, maybe I can port them over into JTCS, but not right now. I have way too many irons in the fire at this moment. Chris.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 12
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/15/2013 8:30:20 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

Thanks for the info. I haven't started porting the 250 variants from EF to WF yet. I have looked for the outline (bit) files in EF but I am not sure which ones should be brought over to WF from EF. Any info would be appreciated. Right now, I have just completed the new French units for WF and sent them to Jason to be encrypted. Then I can resume work on my scenario conversions. I did have to rewrite the unittext file for these new units and found out that three units listed in that file are not represented by the game. Those units are the Panhard 178 (I used the German captured vehicle for it), the AMD 50 armored car, and the AMD 80 armored car. I guess these were omitted somewhere along the line but if I find them in my original TS WF, maybe I can port them over into JTCS, but not right now. I have way too many irons in the fire at this moment. Chris.

How I did it while bringing say US forces to EF from WF was to use Windows File Explorer to point out the correct files for me.

To do it for one unit only, say P01001 would go like this:

- Go to East Front folder with File Explorer.
- Type *01001* as a search mask to File Explorer top right corner
- What you see are the relevant P01001 files and their respective locations:

Op01001.bit (outline, in East Front root)
E-Up01001.bmp (early war camo bitmap, in Specials subfolder)
P01001.bmp (unit picture for Unit Info Box, in Pictures sub folder)
Up01001.bmp (standard camo bitmap, in East Front root)
S-Up01001.bmp (Winter camo bitmap, in Specials subfolder)

Now you can select them all from the File Explorer view created with the *01001* mask, and copy-paste them easily to another location.

Post #: 13
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/15/2013 8:39:02 AM   
Crossroads

Forgot to add some units might also have the L-Up variant in Specials, for Late war camo I think.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 14
RE: SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders - 6/15/2013 10:24:41 AM   
resinslinger

Thank you. I should have known all along how to find these files using Windows Explorer. See what happens when you get old? Thank you for refreshing this old geezer's memory.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> SdKfz 250 variants for WF and armored commanders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI