Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

When are proximity arrays useful?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> When are proximity arrays useful? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When are proximity arrays useful? - 6/8/2013 4:15:34 PM   
invaderzim

It seems their only purpose is to allow ships to chase enemies who are running away into hyperspace. But 99% of the time, it seems that if your enemy has went into hyperspace you will not catch them.

Once you arrive in a system, you can see everything in the system as a player anyway, so I don't really see a point to having one on most of your ships. The manual does say that it may make the AI smarter about engaging system targets, but has this been tested?

quote:

Automated fleets set to engage system targets will prove very effective at deterring
aggression, especially if they have proximity scanners and you have a nearby base
with a long range scanner to give them some warning of approaching enemies.

Also, does it serve any other function like giving you an earlier warning that a ship is under attack? I find the AI puts them on my explorer ships. Does it allow explorers "notice" enemies sooner and use the escape function? If that's the case, they may be worth more than an extra shield or engine. But if not, they are probably a waste of money.

From galactopedia:
quote:

Proximity Arrays enable a ship or base to ‘see’ other ships or bases within scanner range. This provides a radar-like capability.

They also allow tracking of a target as it jumps into hyperspace. This improves the ability to pursue an enemy if it flees battle.

Higher proximity array technology levels provide components with increased scan range and better hyperjump tracking.

Note that you can always see ships or bases that are in the same system as you.

Galatopedia isn't clear as about whether it's just you the player who can see everything in a system or if your AI ships controlled ships have the same level of awareness about enemy targets. For instance you can see that a construction ship can build something in the same system as an enemy military ship, but it will flee eventually if the enemy gets close enough.

< Message edited by invaderzim -- 6/8/2013 4:20:47 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: When are proximity arrays useful? - 6/8/2013 7:10:06 PM   
Darkspire

I find there useful for when my transport fleets are parked just outside an enemy system, I can see whats in the system and decide whether they can take the planet(s) on there own or I need to send an attack fleet in first. They seem to do the same as long range scanners without the huge hull space, so to I tend to look at them like short range scanners.

Darkspire

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 2
RE: When are proximity arrays useful? - 6/8/2013 7:12:37 PM   
Plant

It can be useful to know where they are going, and sometimes hyperspacing ships can catch other ships.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 3
RE: When are proximity arrays useful? - 6/8/2013 7:36:07 PM   
invaderzim

So do you only need one per fleet? The range on basic proximity scanners is 48,0000 which is about 1/10 of a 45,000 range long range scanner. But how much range is this exactly?

Also does the proximity scanner cause more "X is under attack!" messages to appear? Because I might remove them from my explorers if that is the case. :)

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 4
RE: When are proximity arrays useful? - 6/8/2013 7:55:29 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: invaderzim

So do you only need one per fleet? The range on basic proximity scanners is 48,0000 which is about 1/10 of a 45,000 range long range scanner. But how much range is this exactly?

Also does the proximity scanner cause more "X is under attack!" messages to appear? Because I might remove them from my explorers if that is the case. :)

No extra messages about attack and I have one of them fitted to each ship in the transport fleet, as well as a few of the military ones, the range, I may be wrong, from the number you give looks similar to the range on my prewarp explorers, the component does not take up much space either. Useful bit of kit

Darkspire

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 5
RE: When are proximity arrays useful? - 6/8/2013 7:58:28 PM   
Plant

I think a sector is 1 000 000 size, so extrapolate from there.
I place a proxmity sensor on all my shipdesigns, because they take up a little amount of space and energy.
Just like armour.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> When are proximity arrays useful? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI