Is it possible to break even as a pirate by mining and smuggling?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

invaderzim

Is it possible to break even as a pirate by mining and smuggling?

Post by invaderzim »

I've been trying to up a pacifistic pirate empire, but it seems like raiding and controlling empire homeworlds is vastly more profitable than trying to eek out a living mining or smuggle. Anyone have tips on getting a peaceful pirate empire to work?

It seems like you can make money for the first few years by smuggling and mining, but after about 10 years or so, demand seems to disappear.
DeadlyShoe

RE: Is it possible to break even as a pirate by mining and smuggling?

Post by DeadlyShoe »

In part that's because resource demand is partially driven by pirate raids sapping resources and destroying mining facilities.

It's hard to say, though... so much is dependent on your galaxy, and on your galaxy setup.

I just wish I knew how to market Zentabia Fluid as a pirate.

Plant

Post by Plant »

I am not sure, but I think you can only smuggle with empires you have protection treaties with.
Would explan why I never seem to make much smuggling money, though once I made 40k mining money somehow.
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

When do you actually get paid for mining? It seems that mining something and bringing it back to your starport doesn't do anything, so I would assume it requires you to deliver those materials to a colony before you get paid.
Plant

Post by Plant »

Yes, it's a mystery to me as well. It was in another patch. At that time, the only empire I think had a protection treaty with, was somewhere far away in the galaxy, and was clearly not trading with them, so perhaps independent colonies?
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

It might be helpful if there was an entry in the history panel (the one you invoke with H) for mining income. The you could learn that Freighter X smuggled 500 units of caslon to Planet Y on 2104.5.11 and earned 1500 credits, etc.
Plant

Post by Plant »

Yeah, the game could do with a transaction sheet, like themepark (1994).

Then you would find out that your Intersteller Empire works on 19 day cycles.
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

I believe Mining income comes from independent traders docking at your mining facilities.

It goes away as empires get their own mining online....
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

I suppose you could try and capture all their mining bases, but you'd have be careful to stay ahead of upkeep.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”