Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Warped Hexes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Warped Hexes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warped Hexes - 6/7/2013 1:52:56 AM   
Michael T

Something I have wondered about from release is why are the map hexes shorter in the East-West direction than the North-South Direction?

The result is the map is warped and comparisons about any kind of operation between a north-south axis and a east-west axis is difficult to judge unless one tediously counts hexes.

See the attached image. The distance in hexes from Vinnitsa to Odessa is 19 hexes. Then check the distance from Vinnitsa in a easterly direction for 19 hexes. The line is appreciably shorter. The true length of the eastern line is transposed on to the Odessa line. See the difference?

This makes no difference to anything the game does, as it counts hexes, not distance. But a human looking at a map naturally judges distance between nodes by true distance on a flat plane. The effect of this 'warping' is that objectives that are some distance apart in a north-south line are actually closer than what you might at first perceive from simply looking at the map. You need to count hexes.

Not wanting to be overly critical here as I don't have any insight in to the technical difficulties encountered by the devs. However I have played plenty of hex based PC games where the hexes are perfectly symmetrical. So why not for WITE?

I am hopeful this glitch is fixed in WITW.

The error is in the range of 10%.

Attachment (1)

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------
Post #: 1
RE: Warped Hexes - 6/7/2013 1:54:09 PM   
Mehring

Might be your monitor? Mine too, but open in window mode and you can stretch the map L to R and resize the hexes.

Edit: Oh no you can't, they ping back to asymetrical.

“The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.”
¯ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 2
RE: Warped Hexes - 6/7/2013 3:51:58 PM   
Scook_99

Yep, I noticed this a long time ago, and is very apparent in their full Europe map. I believe it has purpose though, and isn't something willy-nilly.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 3
RE: Warped Hexes - 6/7/2013 6:54:21 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Spherical surface to flat projections always involve distortions, fun fun fun.

Try measuring the distances on the surface of a good quality globe using a bit of thread and a known scale, (hopefully printed on the globe itself). See what you get.

< Message edited by Jeffrey H. -- 6/7/2013 6:55:37 PM >

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Scook_99)
Post #: 4
RE: Warped Hexes - 6/7/2013 10:47:36 PM   
Michael T

Yes I am very aware of map projections, I work in that field. But hexes don't need to be distorted.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 5
RE: Warped Hexes - 6/8/2013 5:01:29 AM   
Jeffrey H.

So, you've already done the coordinate transformation from lat and long to sphercial and crosschecked the actual distances across the surface of the Earth to the game scale hexes ?

Or are you expecting someone else to do it, possibly again ?

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 6
RE: Warped Hexes - 6/8/2013 7:45:08 AM   
Michael T

You know what, the map is perfectly fine. I have no idea what I am talking about. My degree in spatial science is worthless.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 7
RE: Warped Hexes - 6/8/2013 8:40:52 AM   
emeg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Yes I am very aware of map projections, I work in that field. But hexes don't need to be distorted.

If this results in a correct Mercator projection with correct (average) east-west distances, why not? And, if you look carefully to a hex you see the smaller east-west cross-section in relation to its north-south cross-section.

Greetings, emeg.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 8
RE: Warped Hexes - 6/8/2013 9:53:44 AM   
rrbill

Aw shucks, we play on 2D projections of a 3D world. Next iteration of game code should reflect no hexes of any shape, appearance compensated for 2D/3D distortions and completely free-form unit positions, command alignments, 3D projections at all scales, etc.

(in reply to emeg)
Post #: 9
RE: Warped Hexes - 6/8/2013 1:33:19 PM   
carlkay58

You know, it could be possible that the whole thing is that the original hex used to build the map was skewed . . .

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 10
RE: Warped Hexes - 6/9/2013 2:02:13 AM   
Michael T

I created my own version of the map with nice symmetrical hexes. So problem solved.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 11
RE: Warped Hexes - 6/9/2013 3:28:27 PM   
Numdydar

How did you do that? Create a new map?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 12
RE: Warped Hexes - 7/15/2013 2:00:26 AM   
fbs

Interesting point about this: there is a process to map the whole Earth (less the poles) in a number of equal-area hexagons - that's similar to how one maps a soccer ball in a regular pentagonal+hexagonal pattern.

So that's an equal-area, equidistant global mapping. Problem is that your latitudes are no longer parallel (bugger) and the longitudes have an odd shape, so it is non-azimuthal, and for some reason it's not conformal too, but I fail to see why.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Warped Hexes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI