Matrix Games Forums

Community impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Infantry-armour cooperation in complex attacks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Infantry-armour cooperation in complex attacks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Infantry-armour cooperation in complex attacks - 6/7/2013 12:19:57 AM   
Deathtreader

Hi all,

Below is an excerpt from page 84 in the manual regarding something I've always been curious about:

Employ Infantry-Armour Cooperation (Complex Attacks)
For complex attacks, infantry-armour cooperation will only routinely occur if the subordinate HQs each already have a mix of infantry and armour as their organic structure ( see Organic and Attached Units ). Although you cannot force a complex attack to employ infantry-armour cooperation, you can improve the chances of it happening:
Ħ Attach some armour companies to an all-infantry complex attack, or attach some infantry companies to an all-armour complex attack
The attachments must be made as individual companies. For example, if you are attaching some tank companies to an infantry regiment attack, make sure you don¡¦t attach the tank battalion HQ. If you do include the tank battalion HQ, then it will command the tank companies in the assault, so there will be no chance that the tanks will get allocated to one of the infantry battalions. Even when attaching individual companies, it is up to the HQ in charge of the complex attack to decide where to allocate them; better commanders will be more likely to employ infantry-armour cooperation.

I've often wondered why this is the case. If I can force cooperation in Basic Attacks - why not Complex ones?? I'm still the on-map boss aren't I ?? The part in red is especially mystifying inasmuch as it forces me to leave an organic sub-HQ out of my attack and therefore possibly losing the auto-exploit that a 3rd sub-HQ provides for in an Attack. Why??
I honestly believe that if I make cross-attachments then the damn subordinate HQ's should keep them! How well they make use of them is another matter entirely.

In a similar vein I've always wondered why at the Regimental/Brigade level I cannot create a seperate battlegroup or even a pool to be used by the AI commander for cross attaching from organic companies taken from organic subordinate battalions. Eg. 1 tank company from my tank battalion and 1 company from each of my infantry battalions to be used either as a seperate battlegroup commanded directly by the Reg/Brigade AI commander during the attack (or move) or as a pool for that commander to use in cross attaching for the attack (or move). To do that now I have to take direct control of the battalions providing the companies which seems to defeat the purpose of commanding at levels higher than individual battalions.... and as soon as I reattach those battalions the manually created cross attachments from the organic structure are undone ie, the battalions take the companies right back.

In order to make this work, I have to attach non-organic companies. Why??

Not really complaining here.... just intensely curious.......and a little frustrated.

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Post #: 1
RE: Infantry-armour cooperation in complex attacks - 6/7/2013 1:01:21 AM   
Arjuna

That advice in red doesn't apply anymore as HQs no longer get assigned to the assault. Feel free to assign the whole Bns to your Bde HQ and order the Bde HQ to attack.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Infantry-armour cooperation in complex attacks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI