Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another request for opinion of another game.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Another request for opinion of another game. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another request for opinion of another game. - 6/5/2013 12:08:46 AM   
Larsenex

Its been well over a year since the abysmal launch of Sword of the Stars 2. I really really wanted to play this game but the day it launched I was out of town.

The Graphix looked great!

The gameplay sounded awesome!

The tech tree was astounding!

Then it launched and I started seeing the threads. Oh man, that has to be one of the worst launches of a 4x game or any game I have seen in a very long time.

So since that time Paradox or who ever the guy is who released it, has been sending out updates to it and wonder if it has improved.

I cannot for the life of me, find a single review that is new. All the ones I find are from last year. Soo that leaves me to ask other games on my favorite Space 4x game what they think of it (Sword of the Stars 2) and if they would recommend it if at all.

Now, let me clarify. I am a HUGE supporter of DW and I have purchased all expansions and believe that Erik is doing a great job. I am simply looking for other games as well. Hell I am even thinking about re-installing X3 but travel in that game is soo ****ing long and boring.

Thanks for the replies!

< Message edited by Larsenex -- 6/5/2013 12:09:56 AM >

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 3570K Oc'd to 4.3ghz
8 gigs ram
GTX 670 w/ 2gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
Post #: 1
RE: Another request for opinion of another game. - 6/5/2013 12:16:22 AM   
Mansen

I just can't get into it as I could with the original. The new "mission" missions just annoys the heck out of me. Instead of being able to move around your fleets as you see fit, you have to attach them to home bases (which need to have ample supply) and then send them out on specific missions.

It sounds good on paper, but you can't redirect these fleets while they are ongoing. You'll have to wait for them to get back to their homebase before you can send them anywhere else - even if your colonies are burning up right next door to your fleet.

On every other front however it is a great improvement of the old game - I love the theme and graphics and the combat gameplay. It's just that little detail that ruins it for a lot of us loyal SOTS players. :(

Did I mention they have a Matrix/Borg race that deconstructs and reconstructs themselves from base "Legos" as needed while in space? Really cool concept.

Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 2
RE: Another request for opinion of another game. - 6/5/2013 12:22:28 AM   
rosseau

Not the place for this, but I would wait for a 75% off Steam sale on Endless Space and StarDrive. Both are worth $20 as is, but combined do not equal DW by a long shot

SotS Complete $4.99 (not including the discount code) on greenmangaming 6/4/13.

< Message edited by rosseau -- 6/5/2013 2:51:31 AM >

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 3
RE: Another request for opinion of another game. - 6/5/2013 6:36:34 AM   
DaveDash

SOTS2 has a fantastic combat engine, but I find the strategic part of the game difficult to get into (especially compared to the first).Most of that is because the UI is unresponsive and sluggish. It also seems to lack the 'feel' of the first.

However it's definitely miles ahead now of where it was now. Last I played (a few months back) the only thing that didn't feel like it was 'complete' was the diplomacy.

The main space games I concern myself with these days are sins, this game (now that it's had a performance boost I can actually enjoy this game), and Endless Space.

(in reply to rosseau)
Post #: 4
RE: Another request for opinion of another game. - 6/5/2013 3:18:26 PM   
Lucian

Here is a relatively recent (and in my opinion quite accurate) review of SOTS II enhanced edition.

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2012/12/sword-of-the-stars-2-enhanced-edition-review/

SOTS II is very deep and often quite fun to play and at this point, most of the game stopping bugs have been crushed. The game is visually very pretty and the space combat is often quite awesome although the UI is kind of ugly and takes some getting used to. SOTS II also suffers from several horrifically bad design decisions which will never be fixed because the devs have their vision and simply wont listen to customer feedback unless that feedback is in the form of blatantly gushing praise for their design.

In my opinion Distant Worlds is currently a far better game although I firmly believe that SOTS II has the potential to be even better. Unfortunately I'm equally certain that its potential will never be realized.

(in reply to DaveDash)
Post #: 5
RE: Another request for opinion of another game. - 6/6/2013 2:01:38 AM   
Rtwfreak

I have to say you just can't get better than Distant Worlds for the total gameplay and game engine. To not have to micromanage is the future of all games I hope. I just want to jump in when I want to like Norbsoft's Civilwar games too. I enjoy both of these games. As far as SoTsII I didn't like SotsI so I can't really say if you'll like it or not. If I were going to play another game outside of Distant Worlds it would be Galactic Civilization II.

(in reply to Lucian)
Post #: 6
RE: Another request for opinion of another game. - 6/6/2013 1:27:26 PM   
invaderzim

Is combat in SOTS II pauseable like it is in DW?

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 7
RE: Another request for opinion of another game. - 6/6/2013 2:33:44 PM   
Lucian

quote:

Is combat in SOTS II pauseable like it is in DW?

The strategic layer in SOTS II is turn based, so pausing is unnecessary. The tactical battles however are in real time and are fully pauseable. Also you can issue orders to your ships (for example to roll the ship so that weakened armor is facing away from the enemy) while paused.

Tactical combat in SOTS II is far more rich and detailed than in DW, however I think that DW easily wins when it comes to the strategic layer and grand scale of the galaxy.

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Another request for opinion of another game. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI