Resort Income

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Osito

Resort Income

Post by Osito »

I've been playing for about a month, but I don't have any memory of ever getting any resort income. I can't be sure about my previous games, but I've been looking at this carefully for the last 2-3 days (2 games), and I have never made any resort income at all (at least, not when I looked).

In my present game, I have five resort bases (one of them in my home system) and there's been no income from them in nearly 20 game years. Also, they don't seem to retrofit. I ordered two of them to retrofit ages ago, but they're still sitting their with the "Retrofitting to..." mission, but nothing is happening.

I realise that resort income is not within my direct control, but this seems a bit extreme. Does anyone have any suggestions as to anything I can do to get resort income moving? Maybe there's something else I need to do that I've overlooked. For example, does it matter how many recreation centers are added (I only have one at each base)?

Osito

PS Why are resort bases state controlled, when mines are private? Seems a bit weird.
Osito
TrooperCooper

RE: Resort Income

Post by TrooperCooper »

I mentioned this in another topic already iirc, but yeah... with Shadows the resort income has been extremly nerfed. It used to be a money printer in Legends and was kind of imbalancing. But now its the opposite and pretty much useless. Sometimes one gets a little income from it,... but for the most part even the maintenance costs of the bases are higher. Because of this, I dont build resort bases at all anymore since Shadows.

This sort of income needs to be increased again. But more balanced than it was in Legends. Maybe decrease the regular tax income at the same time to give resort locations a meaning in the game...
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Did you build any resort bases at scenery bonus locations? You need to be at scenery bonus locations, not just any planet.

Also, the better your relations with other empires, the more tourists will be visiting the resort bases. Also, the number of passenger ships will affect this as well.

Make sure you build one at a scenery bonus location, and get a few free trade agreements and they should start making some income...it will still be a very modest amount, don't expect to roll in the credits.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Osito

Post by Osito »

Yeah, they've all had the scenery bonus, but I have to admit I'm not on the best of ... ahem ... terms with the other races ;-)
Osito
Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

Dubious again eh?

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

yeah even playing as naxxilans my resort income is ZERO most years. only 2 years did i even make more resort income than i lost in maintenance
Constantine XI

Post by Constantine XI »

Bummer! I noticed this in my last game, I had a resort up and running for years at a scenic location, and had passenger ships traveling around. I also had a free trade agreement and very close relations with my nearest neighbor, and I was getting migrants from their empire all the time. But the resort never showed any income.

For those that have gotten resort income in Shadows, do you think there might be anything broken / bugged with it, or is it a pure balance issue?
Osito

Post by Osito »

Well, I still haven't made a credit in resort income since I posted about it yesterday, and I have had some reasonable relations with other races after stomping a few pirate bases. It seems broken at the moment, as it's a pure maintenance cost with no payback at all. I'd like to see it working as a sound long term investment.
Osito
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

I was breaking even in resort income for a while (7k income and upkeep both), but not my income is down to 0. Resort income seems like pretty small potatoes in Shadows.
Bloodly

Post by Bloodly »

Gotta be near scenery bonuses, very well developed planets need to be nearby-they're the only ones that'll have the people able to travel. I tend to make research bases into combo resort bases since they'll use the same spaces.

Still, I'll have to see for myself how good or bad it is. With Pirate raids killing so many and potentially looting massive reserves of resources, it's easy to imagine that there simply aren't the customers.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I've been known to put mining engines on my resort base designs, might as well mine the planet during the off season (which is most of the time it seems).
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Osito

Post by Osito »

I've come to the conclusion that the problem with these resort bases is that they are state owned. Put them back in the hands of the private sector, that's what I say ;-)
Osito
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

Personally I've noticed you need to put the passenger modules onto a resort, at least in my experience
Without any, I never seem to get any income, with some, I tend to get ok-ish income
Strange, since that modules isn't apart of the listed requirement, but the base seems worthless without it
Perhaps someone has noticed the same, or different?
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

Every auto-designed resort I've seen has had passenger modules, and receives passenger deliveries to boot; there just isn't any money in it
Constantine XI

Post by Constantine XI »

Sounds like a balance issue then, or possible something that is broken.

This seems especially crippling for any victory condition that relies on resorts.

Hopefully will get some attention in the next patch.
gargoil

Post by gargoil »

I placed a resort base with passenger modules and the first time I checked the Empire Summary Screen it said I had 3k income. Yet my victory screen say I have 17.5 k resort income.

Is it that the resort income is only a snapshot of income that has occurred recently (last month maybe), and total Annual resort income is not seen on the Summary Screen?
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

Resort income is Bonus income, which is reported on a yearly basis afaik.
gargoil

Post by gargoil »

ORIGINAL: DeadlyShoe

Then what is the Resort income line doing?
Plant

Post by Plant »

In every other Distant Worlds game, Resort Income was in Resort Income.
Perhaps you should post a screenshot of the resort base (with passenger numbers) and the Economy screen.
ORIGINAL: invaderzim

I was breaking even in resort income for a while (7k income and upkeep both), but not my income is down to 0. Resort income seems like pretty small potatoes in Shadows.
Invader Zim seems to be getting resort income.

feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

ORIGINAL: DeadlyShoe

Then what is the Resort income line doing?

Resort income shown on economy screen is what you have got so far this year. So it resets to zero every 01.01.2xxx. Yearly income can only be seen if you look in the last few days of a year. [X(]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”