Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets Updated
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Do Spy Acedemies stack?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Do Spy Acedemies stack? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/3/2013 3:09:24 AM   
FerretStyle

Pretty simple question.

It's a lot of effort to unlock these things (playing with very expensive tech), so I want to know if it's worth it.
Post #: 1
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/3/2013 3:27:34 AM   
necaradan666

Yeah I'd like to know if there's any point building Science/Naval Academies on multiple worlds too.

(in reply to FerretStyle)
Post #: 2
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/3/2013 5:55:28 PM   
Fishers of Men

Science Academies and Naval Academies are planetary facilities which allows you to build them on multiple planets. If they were listed as a Wonder, then you can only build one of them in your empire. I believe you are not allowed to construct more than one at any planet, so the facilities of course are not able to stack. The new Shadows facilities now have maintenance costs after the initial construction costs, so you will need to decide for yourself if they are worth the improvements they create.

Old............but very fast

(in reply to necaradan666)
Post #: 3
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/3/2013 6:00:58 PM   
invaderzim

How much of a percentage increase in recruitment do the Science, Naval and Spy Academies give you?

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 4
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/3/2013 6:12:05 PM   
Bebop Cola

I think that part is fully understood, Fishers of Men. The question is if building a Spy Academy(for example) on two planets increases the chances of a Spy appearing *more than* building a Spy Academy on just one planet. In other words, does the spawn chance increase from both Spy Academies stack, or does the system only recognize the bonus from one Academy ever?

Post #: 5
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/3/2013 6:13:36 PM   
Larsenex

Well the question is not really answered. Since its a planetary facility is there a bonus (empire-wide) to having 30 colonies with the Spy academy vrs just one planet with it?

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 3570K Oc'd to 4.3ghz
8 gigs ram
GTX 670 w/ 2gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 6
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/3/2013 9:14:37 PM   
TrooperCooper

And even more intresting... does it increase spawn chances as a whole? Or do these buildings instead just shift the probabilities towards their respective character types?

In other words: if I build an equal ammount of facilities of each type, do I get more characters of each type to spawn? Or do the facilities cancel out each others effect?

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 7
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/3/2013 9:17:04 PM   
Bebop Cola

If you look at the race files, there are separate spawn chance percentages for each type of character. As such, I would assume each Academy just modifies the spawn chance of their respective character type from the base specified in the race file.

(in reply to TrooperCooper)
Post #: 8
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/3/2013 9:18:21 PM   
TrooperCooper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bebop Cola

If you look at the race files, there are separate spawn chance percentages for each type of character. As such, I would assume each Academy just modifies the spawn chance of their respective character type from the base specified in the race file.

All righty, thanks for clearifying so quickly. :)

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 9
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/3/2013 11:10:40 PM   
mikeCK

Ok...so all a science academy does is increase the likelihood of getting a new scientist? I thought it added to your research speed. If not, them I imagine 1 or 2 would do since I really don't need a crap load of scientists spawning every turn

(in reply to TrooperCooper)
Post #: 10
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/4/2013 12:20:29 AM   
Larsenex

Dont scientists each have a chance for a 'breakthrough' to finish what you are researching? I have had one reset what I was doing as a 'failure' but for the most part they can provide tremendous leaps in tech advancements.

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 3570K Oc'd to 4.3ghz
8 gigs ram
GTX 670 w/ 2gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 11
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/4/2013 12:22:46 AM   
Fishers of Men

Sorry if my answer was vague. The official manual has no details on how these academies really work. That is disappointing! The only place to learn anything is by reading the info in the tech tree box. The Military Academy allows you to recruit Special Forces Units on the planet that you construct it. Maybe a Boskara special OPS unit is more powerful than a Atuuk unit. The Naval and Science Academies just increase the chances of an admiral or scientist to be generated. Maybe the more you build of these facilities, the more the chances increase. I have not gone that far in my current game to really see any results to know for sure. Maybe the plat testers could jump in with their experience.

By the way, is there a Spy Academy?

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 12
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/4/2013 12:57:37 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

Yes there is a Spy academy. You get it by developing Stealth Tech in the High Tech screen, iirc.

BTW, adding a Stealth unit to all the civilian Ships might not be cheap, but heh... Would drive the Pirates crazy I would imagine. I'll have to try it someday.

Post #: 13
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/4/2013 1:31:30 AM   
necaradan666

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishers of Men

Sorry if my answer was vague. The official manual has no details on how these academies really work. That is disappointing! The only place to learn anything is by reading the info in the tech tree box. The Military Academy allows you to recruit Special Forces Units on the planet that you construct it. Maybe a Boskara special OPS unit is more powerful than a Atuuk unit. The Naval and Science Academies just increase the chances of an admiral or scientist to be generated. Maybe the more you build of these facilities, the more the chances increase. I have not gone that far in my current game to really see any results to know for sure. Maybe the plat testers could jump in with their experience.

By the way, is there a Spy Academy?

No.. your answer was perfectly understandable, just totally irrelevant to the question being asked.

The Military Academy also increases the chance of generating new Troop Generals, and just like Spy, Science and Naval Academies, there's no mention anywhere whether constructing these facilities on multiple worlds is at all beneficial.

...... btw no one is more powerful than an Atuuk!

< Message edited by necaradan666 -- 6/4/2013 1:34:35 AM >

Post #: 14
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/4/2013 5:07:36 PM   
Plant

Yes, I'll like to know if the academies stack. How exactly do they work? What are the chance change, so I can decide if they are worth it or not? There;s just too much missing information.

Atuuk are the worst troops after Teekan btw.

Post #: 15
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/5/2013 1:14:55 AM   
necaradan666

If you let the AI handle things it'll put Academies everywhere. Not that it's an answer.

Strength in numbers.

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 16
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/5/2013 5:35:56 PM   
Plant

Yeah, it's not an answer; for all we know, the AI could be wasting their money.

Post #: 17
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 6/5/2013 5:44:45 PM   
FlashXAron

Hi, compared to my games without shadows (same Settings ... 1600 stars, rare colonies, 999999 research and so on ...)
In my old games i had always only 2-3 scientist and 3-4 from the other typs ... now I am building everything on any planet (have 25 at the Moment) and I have 5-8 People per type ! So I think it increases the amount you could have,
maybe every 5 buildings +1 , that is how it feels for me atm !

< Message edited by FlashXAron -- 6/5/2013 5:45:15 PM >

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 18
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 7/7/2013 3:28:40 PM   
turtlefang

Folks -

Anyone else determine if we have a final or best answer on this one yet? I haven't been able to get any results from testing (or at least anything I feel comfortable with) as it seems too random.

Just wondering.

(in reply to FlashXAron)
Post #: 19
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 7/8/2013 6:39:02 AM   
nim8or

Would an official answer from the Devs or Matrix be too much to ask for?

The punishment which the wise suffer who refuse to take part in the government, is to live under the government of worse men.
- PLATO

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 20
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 7/8/2013 10:30:33 AM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bebop Cola

This and logic suggests it would stack.It would be nice to know how much each building improves spawn rates.

The human scientist spawn rate is 1.15

random character appearance chance: Minimum=0, Normal=1.0, Maximum=3.0

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 21
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 7/8/2013 1:18:03 PM   
elanaagain

Someone among the developers knows the answer to these questions. It really would take so little time on there part to clarify these issues. Sad that not one of them is willing.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 22
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 7/8/2013 5:35:11 PM   
Fishers of Men

I am just in the early stages of my Shadows Empire Pre-Warp game and I have seven planets and constructed five science academies. Before the academies were finished, my empire had two scientists working. A few game years after construction, a new scientist appeared with the trait of Ultra Genius. Was this guys appearance due to the academies construction or just a random occurrence that would have happened anyway? There is no way for me to know.

It would be nice if a message appeared to indicate that this scientist was an academy graduate, or something like that. Then we could get some sense of the usefulness of these facilities.

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 23
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 7/8/2013 5:38:42 PM   
Lucian

quote:

Then we could get some sense of the usefulness of these facilities.

Indeed. Feedback is essential in a game like this.

Post #: 24
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 7/8/2013 7:04:08 PM   
FerretStyle

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

This and logic suggests it would stack.

What logic? Because you can build more than one shouldn't automatically mean they have cumulative effects.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 25
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 7/8/2013 7:13:57 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: FerretStyle

quote:

This and logic suggests it would stack.

What logic? Because you can build more than one shouldn't automatically mean they have cumulative effects.

Because the A.I policy is set up to build them at every colony over with 5000 population.Logic suggests the developer would not allow that if they have no effect.

Post #: 26
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 7/9/2013 8:19:50 AM   
Chris H

quote:

This and logic suggests it would stack.It would be nice to know how much each building improves spawn rates.

The human scientist spawn rate is 1.15

random character appearance chance: Minimum=0, Normal=1.0, Maximum=3.0

As ASHBERY76 said logic would suggest each building on a planet increases the chance of a leader spawning on that planet. Until this post I never even thought otherwise and still don't.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 27
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 7/9/2013 9:09:32 AM   
FerretStyle

quote:

Because the A.I policy is set up to build them at every colony over with 5000 population.Logic suggests the developer would not allow that if they have no effect.

But it's not "no effect" even if they don't stack. Having multiples ensures you still have one available if one gets lost for some reason. The A.I. programmed with this kind of redundancy makes perfect sense to me.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 28
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 7/9/2013 11:18:55 PM   
necaradan666

Indeed, an answer can't be determined logically because we don't know the rules. Which is what this question is really about. What are the damn rules of the game we're playing. As it is now we can only give a best guess which isn't good enough for people trying to play more efficiently.

Post #: 29
RE: Do Spy Acedemies stack? - 7/10/2013 2:19:04 AM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, the academies do "stack". It's a straight cumulative increase to chance - however other factors will kick in to limit this a bit: overall number of characters you can have in an empire of your size, number of characters you already have for that character role, etc.

Sorry for being quiet lately - I was out of the office for the past two weeks dealing with some family health emergencies. All is much better now, but I had to put work aside for a bit to focus on family.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Do Spy Acedemies stack? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI