How to explore an abandoned ship and other newbie questions

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

MothBones

How to explore an abandoned ship and other newbie questions

Post by MothBones »

Hello forum, I'm enjoying this game a lot but a few basic things are puzzling me and I'd appreciate it if anyone could take the time to help. I'm playing a Shadows Pre-Warp start if that makes any difference.

1. I've found an abandoned frigate on the edge of my starting system, but my exploration ships won't touch it. I tried directing them right next to it, but the missions showed no option to investigate. I even researched Ship Boarding, but that didn't help either.

2. I cannot find any way to check the resource and knowledge requirements of developments enabled by future techs. For instance, I thought that researching Colonization would enable me to build colony ships, not realising that I'd need a couple more levels in ship construction because the colony module is big. I feel like this sort of information should be in Galactopedia, but I can't find it.

3. Things like economics, and what resources are in demand, seem rather opaque. In the brief period of time I've played, my cashflow went into negative for a little while, then righted itself, for no reason I could discern; similarly with the fluctuations in ship purchase price.

4. There are pirates in my system, but I've no idea how to go about finding them. Is this a job for a secret agent? I briefly paid them protection while I built some military, but they haven't come round since I stopped giving them money. I'd like to winkle them out.

This is a highly engaging game so far; I'm really hoping it might be the space game I've been looking for.
MothBones

RE: How to explore an abandoned ship and other newbie questions

Post by MothBones »

The answer to number 1 is "in their own good time", I discovered. In general, it's making more sense anyway. Watching the cosmic traffic is quite calming.
henri51

RE: How to explore an abandoned ship and other newbie questions

Post by henri51 »

1. Your exploration ships can't always do anything to abandoned ships unless they are not damaged. If damaged, you need to send construction ships to repair them.

4 Pirates will find YOU. After you meet them, they will contact you, usually to ask for protection money (In the early pre-warp, you had better accept one protection until you have enough defences).

Henri

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”