Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to explore an abandoned ship and other newbie questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> How to explore an abandoned ship and other newbie questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to explore an abandoned ship and other newbie quest... - 6/2/2013 5:36:48 PM   
MothBones

Hello forum, I'm enjoying this game a lot but a few basic things are puzzling me and I'd appreciate it if anyone could take the time to help. I'm playing a Shadows Pre-Warp start if that makes any difference.

1. I've found an abandoned frigate on the edge of my starting system, but my exploration ships won't touch it. I tried directing them right next to it, but the missions showed no option to investigate. I even researched Ship Boarding, but that didn't help either.

2. I cannot find any way to check the resource and knowledge requirements of developments enabled by future techs. For instance, I thought that researching Colonization would enable me to build colony ships, not realising that I'd need a couple more levels in ship construction because the colony module is big. I feel like this sort of information should be in Galactopedia, but I can't find it.

3. Things like economics, and what resources are in demand, seem rather opaque. In the brief period of time I've played, my cashflow went into negative for a little while, then righted itself, for no reason I could discern; similarly with the fluctuations in ship purchase price.

4. There are pirates in my system, but I've no idea how to go about finding them. Is this a job for a secret agent? I briefly paid them protection while I built some military, but they haven't come round since I stopped giving them money. I'd like to winkle them out.

This is a highly engaging game so far; I'm really hoping it might be the space game I've been looking for.
Post #: 1
RE: How to explore an abandoned ship and other newbie q... - 6/2/2013 8:31:34 PM   
MothBones

The answer to number 1 is "in their own good time", I discovered. In general, it's making more sense anyway. Watching the cosmic traffic is quite calming.

(in reply to MothBones)
Post #: 2
RE: How to explore an abandoned ship and other newbie q... - 6/2/2013 8:42:54 PM   
henri51

1. Your exploration ships can't always do anything to abandoned ships unless they are not damaged. If damaged, you need to send construction ships to repair them.

4 Pirates will find YOU. After you meet them, they will contact you, usually to ask for protection money (In the early pre-warp, you had better accept one protection until you have enough defences).

Henri

(in reply to MothBones)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> How to explore an abandoned ship and other newbie questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI