Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So... Counterbattery fire.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> So... Counterbattery fire. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So... Counterbattery fire. - 6/2/2013 4:38:20 AM   
Perturabo

I have noticed that the AI almost never uses it.

In a corps vs corps engagement, all my artillery groups can fire at enemy troops with impunity. Additionally, any enemy guns that need to be silenced have to be manually targeted.
As a result, I could neutralize enemy artillery while the enemy isn't shooting any my guns.

Also, some artillery groups are misidentified as other types of units despite that they are bombarding at that moment. Additionally, bombardment isn't displayed as task, so there are units that are bombarding that need to be clicked on to learn that they are bombarding instead of simply checking which unit is bombarding by displaying tasks.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.
Post #: 1
RE: So... Counterbattery fire. - 6/2/2013 10:21:10 PM   
rfrizz

Interesting. I have tried it, but I can't see that it works.

In your experience, how effective is counterbattery fire? How long after the bombardment ends does the enemy unit recover?

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 2
RE: So... Counterbattery fire. - 6/3/2013 1:51:29 AM   
Deathtreader

Hi,

I asked for counterbattery options way back in early COTA days.........it did make the wishlist along with a boatload of other ideas from the user community. But now, with lots of checkboxes extant for orders/tasks surely it couldn't be too hard to add a "counterbattery only" checkbox for non-dedicated on call arty units.

Every once in a while I'll notice the AI perform counterbattery missions -- but not often. Effectiveness varies - whether manual or AI targeted - but I have seen it neutralize an enemy arty unitfor 2 or more hours. Only underscores the need/value in being able to dedicate counterbattery missions in my view.

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 3
RE: So... Counterbattery fire. - 6/3/2013 4:26:35 AM   
Arjuna

OK consider a task option for CBF has now moved up the list for development.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 4
RE: So... Counterbattery fire. - 6/4/2013 1:38:34 AM   
Deathtreader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Thanks!!

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 5
RE: So... Counterbattery fire. - 6/4/2013 7:19:55 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

Good to hear it. Will it also increase the amount of AI use of counter-battery fire?

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 6
RE: So... Counterbattery fire. - 6/4/2013 5:00:02 PM   
Rock64

I have noticed that my mortar platoons receive a good deal of CBF from the AI. I believe this may be from them deploying so close to the lines, but that is how the formation AI places them.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 7
RE: So... Counterbattery fire. - 6/5/2013 7:08:43 AM   
RockinHarry

Basically the AI shoots at what it actually "sees" (depending on FOW level) or suspecting within its units line of sight. Next likely measurement is threat level and unit value, when it selects enemy units for Arty treatment. This is not true counter battery fire though, which normally involves techniques of enemy Arty reconnaisance by flash and sound, aireal observation/spotting, as well as appropiate AI decision making procedures if it makes sense at a given situation to use Arty assets for CBF or front line support ect. I guess this is what Arjuna aims at for future CO revisions.

RockinHarry in the web:

http://www.myspace.com/rockinharryz
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockinharryz
https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Rock64)
Post #: 8
RE: So... Counterbattery fire. - 6/5/2013 7:11:16 AM   
RockinHarry

quote:

Good to hear and a challenging task for sure.

RockinHarry in the web:

http://www.myspace.com/rockinharryz
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockinharryz
https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 9
RE: So... Counterbattery fire. - 6/5/2013 3:52:09 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockinHarry

Basically the AI shoots at what it actually "sees" (depending on FOW level) or suspecting within its units line of sight. Next likely measurement is threat level and unit value, when it selects enemy units for Arty treatment. This is not true counter battery fire though, which normally involves techniques of enemy Arty reconnaisance by flash and sound, aireal observation/spotting, as well as appropiate AI decision making procedures if it makes sense at a given situation to use Arty assets for CBF or front line support ect. I guess this is what Arjuna aims at for future CO revisions.

The main problem is that now the enemy AI and subordinate AI usually ignores located guns/bombarding units.

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> So... Counterbattery fire. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI