Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to know which resources needed?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> How to know which resources needed? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to know which resources needed? - 6/2/2013 12:23:39 AM   
henri51

Is there any way to know before you install it in a ship which resources a given weapon requires? By clicking on a resource, you get a list of all the items for which that resource is required. But as far as I can tell, there is no way to do the inverse - click on a device and get a list of the required resources.

This is frustrating, because sometimes one upgrades a ship only to find out that he has boxed himself into a corner because the new upgrade now requires resources that are not available, so no upgraded ships can be built. There are few messages more depressing that a popup that says "...cannot be built because you are short of Dilithium crystals, chromium, and silicon".This happens even when ship design is automated.

The way (partial) around this I found in one of the videos (I forgot by whom): one uses the resource screen (lower part) to see where each resource is available, if so checks for one at a suitable place, then sends a construction ship there to create a mine. Doing this for three resources is not only time-consuming, but usually there are no construction ships available and it takes time before they become available, so it can be a long time before the upgraded ships can be built.

Another way is to use smugglers to sell one the resources, but one can only use one smuggling mission at a time, so if a smuggling mission is already under way, one id out of luck.

This is not a very big deal when one plays (as I do so far) on easy, but it is not hard to imagine that in a tight situation where one was counting to bring online his new cruisers with concussion missiles only to be told that they cannot be built due to lack of resources, one can only wish that he had known.

Henri
Post #: 1
RE: How to know which resources needed? - 6/2/2013 1:04:45 AM   
Raap

There is. Use the component guide in the ship design window.

You can't see the total resource cost of the ship in the design window though.

Also, you can get resource shortage messages when there's none of those resources on the planet or space station; doesn't necessarily mean they don't exist in your empire. And mining ships can get any resources that are accessible.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 2
RE: How to know which resources needed? - 6/2/2013 1:09:56 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raap
You can't see the total resource cost of the ship in the design window though.

You'll want to use the Construction Summary button for that.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Raap)
Post #: 3
RE: How to know which resources needed? - 6/2/2013 3:50:10 PM   
henri51

OK, found it - one has to press the "components" button and the list of resources for each component appears when you click on a component. The problem is that this applies only to components that are already in a design. So if you are thinking of installing fusion reactors and would like to know which resources you will need, you are out of luck.

BTW, looking through the components already installed in a AI-designed cruiser, I found that by far the component that requires the most resources is a fusion reactor, which requires 31 resources for each engine! If you are very low on resources, installing a couple of these in a ship could suck up you dry of resources real quick...The Decaleon (or something) shields are next, but require only 24 IIRC. Most components require typically about 10 resources, and some early components require only 2 or 3 (but some components may require you to install a half-dozen of them).

Henri

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: How to know which resources needed? - 6/2/2013 6:01:29 PM   
Bingeling

It is probably easier to check components in the design window.

In the design, you can click on a component in either of the lists (installed or available) so that it is shown down left. Pressing the component guide button will show the resources used for the selected component.

If you unselect the filter on the left list, you got every component that you have researched here.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> How to know which resources needed? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI