[Ideas] Early rockets, Animals, etc...

This forum supports the Early Access Program for the PC for Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager (SPM). iOS, Android and Mac releases are still in development. SPM is the ultimate game of space exploration. It is the mid 1950s and the race for dominance between the US and the Soviet Union is about to move into a new dimension: space. Take charge of the US or Soviet space agencies - your duty is be the first to the moon. Carefully manage your budget by opening programs, spending R&D funds on improving the hardware, recruiting personnel and astronauts and launching space missions in this realistic turn based strategy game.

Moderator: MOD_BuzzAldrin

nico7550

[Ideas] Early rockets, Animals, etc...

Post by nico7550 »

Hi,

As a big player of Baris, I have think of what missing and it's maybe a good idea to include the followings in the game (even as a DLC...):

Goddart early rocket era (maybe as a tutorial or as a reward???)

Post WW2 test rocket era (US V2 test maybe also as a tutorial or as a reward???)

Animals ==> not only the launch part but also the recruting part, the training and testing part, capsule design, controls design, etc... Chimps are also astronaut, not only a line in a mission report...

Commercial flights ==> at a certain point in the time, the simulation should allow private company to request launch

Rocket sled launch ==> some may want to test this !

The Nerva project ==> let blast it !

Stock market screen ==> make some money...

Politic screen ==> let's do some lobbying...

Influence peoples moral ==> not only astronaut have a moral, winning the moom is a full country effort, so we should be able a spend some money to increase people moral, space administration, families, employes, external employes, senators, president, other country... more moral give more credit...

Von Braun rocket design ==> like the Marsprojekt, Colliers, Super-Jupiter or the full Aggregate rocket program

Have a nice day :-)
Nacho84

RE: [Ideas] Early rockets, Animals, etc...

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello nico,

Welcome to the forums!
ORIGINAL: nico7550
[...] capsule design, controls design

Can you please elaborate on these two? How do you envision these two elements inside the game?

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion
GJK

Post by GJK »

If I could offer my list:

Capsule: one man, two man or larger. Windows or non-windowed and window placement. Explosive hatch (ala Grissom).

Controls design: Placement with regards to accessibility from one or both of the capsule occupants. Multi-use gauges/instruments that can perform more than one function (such as they do modern day as opposed to Mercury/Apollo).
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
nico7550

Post by nico7550 »

Hi, thanks for the welcome.

capsule design
To improve capsule over the time...

Examples:
Interior design research :
Improve capsule design interior for better and longer surviving (surviving is a better word than living in the first ages of space) ==> open the gates to high level duration
Improve internal storage ==> related to previous, can be upgraded if the previous one have been

Exterior design research :
Improve capsule stability ==> increase recovery level and reduce injury chance at splash time.
Reduce weight ==> only available when new materials are available, for example a geminy capsule with nowadays materials
Better wind profil ==> only available when advanced or upgraded test structure is build (there is one ?)
handrail and external safety for human work ==> increase safety in EVA

This also lead to :
"Test structure should be upgradable in order to better improve spacecraft"
"Launchable rocket also depend from PAD capacity, so PAD should be upgradable (in size and in technology) for larger rockets and better safety"

controls design
Test capsule are not the same than final capsule, they need special automation and remote controls, they also need recording devices and computer technologies. So a special research tree for remote control is needed because it's somewhere the grand-father to the remote control probe on mars...

In the same way, animal capsule need special interior and controls design ==> animal missions should depend on it, US didn't just put a chimp in a normal capsule...

I wasn't thinking about a capsule design editor but it could be a good idea for the future or the sandbox...

Notes: will the flatable space structure (like the ones from Bigelow or Nautilus-X) available ?
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

I see what you mean, now. The model behind SPM is a little bit different than what you suggest, though. Basically, when you open a 'program' you get a bunch of 'mission components' (i.e., all the hardware you need in order to launch missions from that program). The R&D is performed on a per mission component basis and it modifies its reliability.

Your ideas are really interesting, but unfortunately it's not something that can be added to the game without some serious modifications.

Inflatable structures will probably be featured in part 3. I still haven't decided that yet as I'm focusing on part 1 now [:)]

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager”