I am the war!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Blueberry

I am the war!

Post by Blueberry »

Hi guys,

Start a war in order to 'liberate' a planet from your neighbour. Contact your trading partners and sell the galaxy map/technology for some cash. Contact your rather pissed off neighbour and trade some cash for peace once you get/about to get (your guys fighting down there) the planet you wanted. He agrees without giving himself a chance to take it back from you. He is bigger than you and all he has to do is ignore your proposal.... But no..he agrees for some mere money to let it go.... You got a brand new planet, and he is got one less.

In case, if you don't have any maps or tech to trade, there is always an option (measured in currency) to declare an embargo on some far away galactic empire and get the trade you want with the trading partner.. Whether it is peace or some new amazing tech that you're after. Doesn't matter.

Point is, at the moment, diplomacy makes it too easy. Playing on hardest settings, longest research, harshest initial settings, etc. In my humble opinion, it would be much better if a player wasn't allowed to ask for peace right away if his/her empire was the aggressor. For example, a two-year time period that will have to pass in order for the AI to consider it. That way, the gamer may experience some true consequences of greed and arrogance... At the moment, reputation hit just isn't enough.

By the way, for me, personally, shadows is easily the best expansion so far.
ASHBERY76

RE: I am the war!

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Old issues.There should be fixed times for all treaties.Peace,war,allied wars,embargos should all have fixed minimum time.Having allies are useless when get they peace 5 mins later.
Speeder

Post by Speeder »

I think it should still be possible, but give you a reputation hit.

Specially when another empire asked for the change... For example, once I had two allies started fighting each other, I would ask for them to stop, and they would... and then start again as soon as I closed the screen.

Or a ally asked me to join a war... I did (to avoid the reputation hit), and it promptly made peace with the other guy, leaving me fighting alone.

Or worse, once I bribed a empire (with about 10 million credits worth of tech) to attack the biggest empire (that was almost winning the game), the guy accepted, and as soon I closed the diplomacy window, he made peace again ¬¬
Mesthione

Post by Mesthione »

I'm fairly disappointed that Shadows didn't touch on diplomacy at all. Now, DW diplomacy is much better than most space 4x's but there is definite room for improvement. It seems to artificial interacting with the other races as-is.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”