Bug: Large freighter design starts out over size limit thus AI cannot build them

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Tanaka

Bug: Large freighter design starts out over size limit thus AI cannot build them

Post by Tanaka »

Large freighter design is borked! We can fix this but AI can't!

Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (204.19 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Bingeling

RE: Bug: Large freighter design starts out over size limit thus AI cannot build them

Post by Bingeling »

Why is that a problem? You can't build AI designed capital ships at that size either?
Raap

RE: Bug: Large freighter design starts out over size limit thus AI cannot build them

Post by Raap »

Yeah, I don't think that's a big problem. In fact, it's probably intended. They'll start building them as soon as they get the appropriate construction tech.
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

You only make it smaller and thus carrying less, where you could just use a small freighter instead

Remember, roles are just something to let the AI know what it's used for, so a 200 sized small freighter and an identical fit 200 sized large freighter are for all intents exactly the same
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
peddroelm

Post by peddroelm »

ORIGINAL: BigWolf

Remember, roles are just something to let the AI know what it's used for, so a 200 sized small freighter and an identical fit 200 sized large freighter are for all intents exactly the same

Was afraid it might work like that .. So messing around with the amount of cargo modules for freighters in manual design could have unforeseen consequences? Was hopping AI calculations were done based on the amount of cargo space on the current design for each ship individually (each idle freighter picks its own mission based on location, fuel amount, offers , etc ..? like constructor ships do) not on the role of the ship :( ...
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

Don't quote me on this as I'm not certain, but I do believe all 3 freighter roles are treated the same, just split to allow easier designing and upgrading of 3 different sizes

Personally, my design principle is
Small = low cargo, fast mover, good for urgent small deliveries
Large = high cargo, slow mover, good for mass movement of resources
Medium = normal cargo, normal mover, ideally the main backbone of the freighter force

Ofc, I don't actually know if the AI thinks that way, or just uses the largest there is
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
Raap

Post by Raap »

I generally just use one type. From what I've gathered, there are no behavioral differences between them. However, there might be differences when it comes to how many of a specific type the private sector will build. It's possible that, if you only have a Large Freighter design available, it might end up building less of them than you need since it wants to add some medium and small freighters as well. Though I haven't been able to confirm that.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

Pretty sure this is intended, thus another reason for researching larger construction Tech [;)]

I generally just use one type. From what I've gathered, there are no behavioral differences between them.

Since the AI is optimized to use all three types I'd leave it that way.
It may function correctly otherwise, but my guess is there would be transport and financial impacts.
Once you have the capability, if the AI (Private sector) is not building something, you don't get the Bonus income from it.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Its not a problem as far as I am concerned. As soon as your construction level is large enough to build them, the AI will build them. IIRC, the large freighter design will be available as soon as you research enhanced construction.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

This is WAD. The AI will simply build more of the smaller freighter designs to compensate until it has a Large Freighter design that it can build.

Thanks
Elliot

Return to “Tech Support”