Niche game or undermarketed?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

parkas3

Niche game or undermarketed?

Post by parkas3 »

Why do you call DW niche game? In my opinion its niche only by obscurity. For example another 4x Endless Space got over 300K sales. There is no reaction to release of Shadows on games news sites. People just don't know about it.
Velihopea

RE: Niche game or undermarketed?

Post by Velihopea »

It's the sales strategy chosen for DW (and henceforth it's the perfect strategy and not debatable)
rankalee

Post by rankalee »

Steam has alot to do with the exposure for Endless Space me thinks.. hence the massive sales.

Wonder why DW isnt on there? If it wasnt for spacesector.com I wouldnt even know about this game..
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

There's been loads of posts on DW and its absence from Steam, just search for the keywords in this forum and you'll see just how many...
AminMaalouf

Post by AminMaalouf »

It's not niche, it's geek.
Tree Dog

Post by Tree Dog »

ORIGINAL: AminMaalouf

"Being geek" doesn't mean anything anymore.
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

Quick question...which is the better game?
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
AminMaalouf

Post by AminMaalouf »

ORIGINAL: Tree Dog
ORIGINAL: AminMaalouf

"Being geek" doesn't mean anything anymore.
Lol, I know. It was more a look back into the age of board games.

DW is really a good game, although overhelming and I lack unfortunately the concentration required to play it most of the time. Geek would mean then more passion than actual occupation, a bit like reading a poem. ;)
gargoil

Post by gargoil »

ORIGINAL: rwenstrup

Don't even go there. DW is a masterpiece. And Endless Space is a piece of....

Its like comparing a Rembrandt to graffitti.
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

It depends what kind of game you prefer. Endless Space is a more traditional turn-based 4X space strategy game. It pretty much plays by the numbers. Very easy to get into, but maybe a bit bland. I definitely had some fun with it. Distant Worlds is a pausable real time game where it is very customizable as far as what you want to control. It is intriguing to me, but it never really grabbed me when I played it. That said, I haven't given up on it and want to take it for another spin at some point. DW certainly is the more creative and different game between the two. Perhaps Shadows fixes some of the things I didn't like about DW.
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

Thanks for the replies...I've been more of a strategic and tactical wargamer in the past...but I've been thinking it may be fun to try a space game...
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
Zakath

Post by Zakath »

Thanks for the replies...I've been more of a strategic and tactical wargamer in the past...but I've been thinking it may be fun to try a space game...

I can really recommend DW. It's a strategic wargame in space, where you're free to automate as much or as little as you want. Want to design every last ship and control the deployment of your fleets? Go ahead! Want to just control the high level attack targets and ship count? No problem.

Personally I'm too lazy to micromanage everything, so I pick a fleet (named Battle Fleet) and use it as my hammer. The rest of my ships run on auto, works pretty well for me.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Zakath

I can really recommend DW. It's a strategic wargame in space, where you're free to automate as much or as little as you want. Want to design every last ship and control the deployment of your fleets? Go ahead! Want to just control the high level attack targets and ship count? No problem.

Personally I'm too lazy to micromanage everything, so I pick a fleet (named Battle Fleet) and use it as my hammer. The rest of my ships run on auto, works pretty well for me.

I concur. To be honest, the only games I've bought for my PC in the last 10 years have been from here at Matrix (I hate the Internet DRM of Steam and the like). DW and WITP:AE do get a lot of playtime.

DW real value is the fact that every game you start is different, due to the way the game generates the galaxy. Its very old school...similar to back in the days of X86 processors and pixelated 2D graphics, but when game play and replay-ability was the only focus. And that is what I like about DW, the game play is great though the graphics are far better than we had in the 80s. I can play a game every day, and no game plays out the same.

The automation is nice, but I do like to manage my fleets and just about everything else. And that is the other advantage DW has...I can control as much or as little of my empires inner workings as I like.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Ucchedavada

Post by Ucchedavada »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

DW real value is the fact that every game you start is different, due to the way the game generates the galaxy. Its very old school...similar to back in the days of X86 processors and pixelated 2D graphics, but when game play and replay-ability was the only focus. And that is what I like about DW, the game play is great though the graphics are far better than we had in the 80s. I can play a game every day, and no game plays out the same.

Could you expand on this? How does the map generation in DW differ from other 4X games?
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Ucchedavada

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Could you expand on this? How does the map generation in DW differ from other 4X games?

In truth, I don't think it differs much from other 4X games, its 4X games in general that have great replay-ability. The key point I am making is unlike FPS or historical wargames (IE other modern game genres) DW presents you with a different scenario each and every time you start a game. In other words, you can play 100 games and get 100 different outcomes. Not at all unlike the MoO series (one of my all-time favorites)...with the exception that the overpowered Antarans aren't present. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

Buio

Post by Buio »

ORIGINAL: parkas3
Why do you call DW niche game? In my opinion its niche only by obscurity. For example another 4x Endless Space got over 300K sales. There is no reaction to release of Shadows on games news sites. People just don't know about it.

Why does it matter? But anyway, DW is big and complex, has 2d graphics that isn't flashy and costs a lot. It's not mainstream, for everyone and their kids. Games that are somewhat similar might be Paradox grand strategy games. They have a huge following, but still are somewhat niche.

These games cater to a specific audience of fans. If you simplify and put more flashy graphics in them and sell to mainstream audience, niche gamers probably will stop buying them.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: Buio

Why does it matter? But anyway, DW is big and complex, has 2d graphics that isn't flashy and costs a lot. It's not mainstream, for everyone and their kids. Games that are somewhat similar might be Paradox grand strategy games. They have a huge following, but still are somewhat niche.

These games cater to a specific audience of fans. If you simplify and put more flashy graphics in them and sell to mainstream audience, niche gamers probably will stop buying them.

I think the bigger issue is the "dumbing down" of the game to appeal to more casual gamers (bigger audience).

When that happens, you've pretty much nuked the game and what made it good in the first place.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Zangi

Post by Zangi »

This game is probably niche...

But... marketing is nonexistent. I think I've only first heard about DW cause word of mouth on the one forum I frequent. And really, I don't see any talk about DW at game review sites or anywhere else I check-in on...
parkas3

Post by parkas3 »

It matters a lot. It means bigger community and more extensive modding. It also means more revenue for Codeforce and faster developement of patches/expansions/DW2. Games like Crusader Kings II, EU sell great despite being complex and pretty ugly. Look at Minecraft, it has very bad graphics and earned millions.
I play very different games, from Dirt 3 to Distant Worlds (including Paradox titles) there are many people like me. Problem is I found DW by accident after researching 4x games, not by reading gaming sites.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

I think the bigger issue is the "dumbing down" of the game to appeal to more casual gamers (bigger audience).

When that happens, you've pretty much nuked the game and what made it good in the first place.

You hit on a big point there. I like complex games, I like having to actually think about what I am do as opposed to mindlessly mashing buttons. The big appeal of a complex game is that it not only entertains, but it is engaging.
Distant Worlds Fan

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”