Small crucial questions

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

gargoil

Small crucial questions

Post by gargoil »

Age of Shadows -

1) What must you research, discover, or explore to be allowed to start researching Warp Bubble?
2) Why did my constructor run out of resourse building a Gas Mining station when there was plenty at my Spaceport it left from and it had plenty of cargo space? I unfortunately did not check if it was full when it left, but it should have been.
3) What should be built as the #1, #2, and #3 priorities starting off as an empire in pre-warp era?
Erik Rutins

RE: Small crucial questions

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Gargoil
1) What must you research, discover, or explore to be allowed to start researching Warp Bubble?

Build explorers, explore your system thoroughly. [8D]
2) Why did my constructor run out of resourse building a Gas Mining station when there was plenty at my Spaceport it left from and it had plenty of cargo space? I unfortunately did not check if it was full when it left, but it should have been.

If you saw a shortage message, it may be temporary. If you have stock of the missing resources in your spaceport, a freighter should pick some up and head to the constructor so that it can continue.
3) What should be built as the #1, #2, and #3 priorities starting off as an empire in pre-warp era?

Some may prefer a different order, but for me it's, Medium or Large Space Port, Energy Research Station, 2 Explorer Ships, Construction Ship as the top four.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

I'll second Erik on that build order.. Energy research is very important. Also be careful building too much with few defenses. Pirates love to blow up a few research installations and hey why not your shipyard too while they're at it.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

I generally start with a small Spaceport, as they're quicker to build (smaller) and then immediately upgrade it.

This way you have Research and Construction options available to you quicker, and you can use while the upgrade (Retrofit) is going on.

For #2, you'll get a message of which resources are stalling construction.
If you check your Spaceport/Colony resources, if you now have a stock of those resourcese, stop your Constructor and then order it to "Repair" what you were working on.
Your Constructor will go get those resources (generally) quicker than waiting for a Freighter :)

#3 really depends on your situation and whether research bonuses are immediately available - can vary quite a bit with experience.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Pocus

Post by Pocus »

Question, I think SSP can upgrade to MSP then to LSP, how can I do that?
AGEOD Team
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

A tip can be to try and steal some progress into the first hyperdrive tech from pirates - It's typically 65-80% (There's a risk of capture) but you can really save some time there. :)
Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)
Resan

Post by Resan »

ORIGINAL: Pocus

Question, I think SSP can upgrade to MSP then to LSP, how can I do that?

you should get the option through the right click menu.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Gehm's Corollary
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

For #2, you'll get a message of which resources are stalling construction.
If you check your Spaceport/Colony resources, if you now have a stock of those resourcese, stop your Constructor and then order it to "Repair" what you were working on.
Your Constructor will go get those resources (generally) quicker than waiting for a Freighter :)
It is quite easy to see if it is quicker to interrupt the constructor.

Select the constructor. Enable civilian travel vectors. Any freighter heading for the constructor will have a red travel vector. As long as he is not in a system (either near the freighter or where it will pick up the goods), the red vectors should be easy enough to spot if you scroll around a bit.

This image is form my AAR, the stuck constructor is in that system on the left. No reason for panicked action when I can check that the constructor needs the same amount of chromium that is carried by the freighter.

I bet that freighter will deliver the chromium much faster than the constructor can fetch it. This should also be true if you see the freighter heading for the spaceport where it will pick it up.
gargoil

Post by gargoil »

Thank you all for some very good information.

Spacecadet - I did use the repair method to get the constructor to finish the gas mine.

Erik - I did not think to look if the Warp Bubble opened for research after completing the exploration of my home system. It is possible that I still have one explorer still headed to the farthest planet there.

The thing that I still am confused about is my first constructor left to build my first mine and that left a spaceport that had plenty of resources for the full build and the constructor had plenty of cargo space for a full build. Yet it ran out of cargo with 28 components unbuilt on the gas mine. Makes no sense, unless it left the spaceport without picking up the cargo it needed?

Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

If it is the very first mine, it is strange if the constructor lacks stuff.
Check that the cargo at the spaceport is owned by you. And if you have built a whole lot of ships, you can of course have run out of something, but that would be a whole freaking lot of builds required.
gargoil

Post by gargoil »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

If it is the very first mine, it is strange if the constructor lacks stuff.
Check that the cargo at the spaceport is owned by you. And if you have built a whole lot of ships, you can of course have run out of something, but that would be a whole freaking lot of builds required.

The constructor was my very first built ship (it was my first built anything actually [:D]). There was very little queued. There are 2 things a did that may have had something to do with it. First, I sent the constructor to build a gas mine to a gas giant that I had not explored yet. The second thing was the constructor actually left from the planet BEFORE the spaceport was built. Do constructors need to pick up from a spaceport? Or can they pick up from a planets cargo? This may have cause my problem.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”