playing Pontus as Rome

Alea Jacta Est is a series of Ancient Strategy Games using the renowned and proven AGE engine. The first in the series is Alea Jacta Est, which features the Roman Civil Wars. Other games in the series are Birth of Rome and Parthian Wars. The latest entry, Hannibal: Terror of Rome, highlights the Second Punic War.
freeboy

playing Pontus as Rome

Post by freeboy »

I had two, " Pestilence attacks your largest army, effectively wiping out my legions for a year... what the heck is that about and how do I stop this?
They where supplied in a urban region???
"Tanks forward"
loki100

RE: playing Pontus as Rome

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: freeboy

I had two, " Pestilence attacks your largest army, effectively wiping out my legions for a year... what the heck is that about and how do I stop this?
They where supplied in a urban region???

You can't.

its a common mechanism across all the AGEOD games taking different forms in each. Invariably it will target your largest single stack. The solution is if you are not actively campaigning is to break your stacks down to small command units so that you don't suffer so much if it does hit you.

Think of it as a particularly brutal and random attrition effect reflecting the vulnerabilities of pre-modern armies to plague, disease etc
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

I dont mind, as long as it hits the ai troops too... Sertorius, sp?, is tough enough without the game giving me divine judgment
"Tanks forward"
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: freeboy

I dont mind, as long as it hits the ai troops too... Sertorius, sp?, is tough enough without the game giving me divine judgment

it does but you won't spot it easily as there is no notification. The only way to see it happen to the AI, or a PBEM opponent, is if the stack is in close contact to you - if you see org and power dip towards 0 and then recover they have had one of the various plague events.

The game I know best with this mechanic is Rise of Prussia and there are two in that. Poor sanitation is a minor pain (unless it hits just as you are setting up for a big battle) as its no more than 1 turn of lost cohesion. Typhus will knock a Corps out of commission for 2-3 turns and in the first make it extremely vulnerable.

With the Prussians in particular the solution is, in winter, break your army down to a large number of small corps and then recombine when the campaign season starts again. Not always feasible though as you are more vulnerable to enemy attack that way.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

thanks.. makes sense...
break up when not fighting into smaller corps/armies..
any other helpful hints, I finally gave in to randomize stats to beat Sertoriuos..
"Tanks forward"

Return to “Alea Jacta Est Series”