New patch

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

MorningDew

New patch

Post by MorningDew »

So, anyone playing the new patch? Surprised not to hear any feedback from this group.
springel

RE: New patch

Post by springel »

I installed it yesterday, and only played a quick test, as I am currently playing different games.

It was a stupid test that I have done endless times in variations since HTTR:
In the Breakout from Joe's Bridge scenario give the on-map boss a Move order to Eindhoven with attacks enabled, maximum speed and losses, and see how he solves it.

It was much better than before: originally, after a while the staff and support units would lead the charge, now only one artillery unit and a bridge laying units were there for a short while, but otherwise it was a decent show of the AI, deploying combat battalions to take out resistance and leaving guards along the road.

It resulted in a minor defeat, but it was not a bad show.

No serious tests however. Maybe next weekend, but actually I am eagerly awaiting the COTA scenarios.
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

I also am awaiting the COTA, but ran through, as well as springel above, with my normal test, a variant of the Peiper scenario, and was impressed with the assaults by the AI, as well as the slippage issues which are working the best I have seen.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: AndrewKurtz

So, anyone playing the new patch? Surprised not to hear any feedback from this group.

Probably because many of us have been updating all the frequent betas that led to the last patch.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
TMO

Post by TMO »

Found a problem in 4.4.263 - can't change the load for any weapon in the Estab editor. Open up a weapon and click on performance and the window is truncated - no way to enter data into the 'Load' box as you can't actually see the box. Can anyone else confirm this?

Regards

Tim
TMO

Post by TMO »

In build 4.4.262 this is not a problem.

Regards

Tim
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

TMO,

Thanks for reporting that. It was a case of using the wrong binding (ie to the right) on the middle field. FIXED. This will get updated in the next patch. Before you ask, I don't know exactly when that will be but hopefully not too long.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Renato

Post by Renato »

It isn't anymore possible to change the duration of a bombardement by left or right-clicking the mouse, or to be more precise the modification is ineffective. Now it is necessary to cancel the order and repeat it.

My best wishes to Arjuna.
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

ORIGINAL: Renato

It isn't anymore possible to change the duration of a bombardement by left or right-clicking the mouse, or to be more precise the modification is ineffective. Now it is necessary to cancel the order and repeat it.

My best wishes to Arjuna.
This is one of the reasons I was saying that micro managing artillery is a pain, in one of my other posts.
This and the fact that there are some key components missing from the bombard order menu.
TMO

Post by TMO »

I know I was told to pipe down, but any idea when the new patch will be out?

Regards

Tim
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: TMO

I know I was told to pipe down, but any idea when the new patch will be out?

Regards

Tim

In another thread, Dave said that the package is at Matrix for distribution, and the company is working on a one release each week schedule. "Command Ops: Battles for Greece" is in the queue, but Dave has not been told where it stands in line in relation to the other releases Matrix is planning.
Take care,

jim
TMO

Post by TMO »

Thanks Jim, but I wonder where the BFTB update fits in. Is this before or after the Greek game is released?

Regards

Tim
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

Tim, have not seen anything on here about it, but I am guessing that it will be in queue shortly after the Greek package.. The fact that Dave already knew what the problem was very quickly seems to me that it will be a quick easy fix at least.
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

I just installed v4.4.263 and played the tutorial return to St. Vith with my typical battle plan and must say that when using the run until function, the game is lightning fast now.

BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X

I just installed v4.4.263 and played the tutorial return to St. Vith with my typical battle plan and must say that when using the run until function, the game is lightning fast now.

What do you mean by "lightning fast now"? Was it lagging on your machine before 263? Or do you mean that now the action is more fluid?

In any case, good to hear that you're enjoying 263 :)
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

It is both more fluid (much more so) and much faster. There is still an occasional bump at 6 AM and 6 PM, but much less pronounced. It seems as if the game is processing the instructions more efficiently than before (just my uneducated opinion). At any rate, the difference is quite stark.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X
It is both more fluid (much more so) and much faster. There is still an occasional bump at 6 AM and 6 PM, but much less pronounced. It seems as if the game is processing the instructions more efficiently than before (just my uneducated opinion). At any rate, the difference is quite stark.

While the increased fluidity was expected, the increased processing speed you perceive is somewhat surprising. Dave did some changes on the event processing loop which might have had unforeseen positive effects.

In any case, we're looking forward to do further optimizations, either by making more efficient use of modern multi-core architectures and reworking path finding algorithms and data structures.

Out of curiosity: I know you still play and enjoy RDOA. How faster is RDOA compared to Command Ops? RDOA does less stuff behind the scenes, but I still wonder since the compiler we use for Command Ops is supposed to be much smarter than the one used for doing RDOA back at the beginning of the century.
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

I have RDOA on my XP machine which is just an AMD dual core, it is not on my W7 machine.

Return to “Command Ops Series”