Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally finished reading the manual

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally finished reading the manual Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally finished... - 5/20/2013 5:38:05 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Yes I have read the whole manual. All of it. But one thing I don't get is reserve mode. Can someone explain it to me and why I would put units in reserve mode and what the heck it is? I am dumb I am sorry. You may need to explain it to me like an 8 year old. Thanks :)
Post #: 1
RE: Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally fini... - 5/20/2013 8:44:41 AM   
cpt flam

time to try an explanation
in offense you are limited to 3 units by hex, so 2 hexes will give you six units say strength for total 80 points
if you must attack a stack with 45 defense, without reserve you will hope for a leader win or fail for defender
if you have reserve nearby they can intervene
other case in defense, each reserve activation will increase your ability to hold the ground
some care must be taken about moral as if the defender retreat and reserve as poor moral, it will rout and can affect your def line
hope this will help you a bit

(in reply to heyhellowhatsnew)
Post #: 2
RE: Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally fini... - 5/20/2013 10:16:26 AM   
Arstavidios

Units put in reserve mode can be committed to combats occurring nearby.
They need to pass a check under their leader's initiative and have enough movement points to get there.

Each time there is a combat all units in reserve modes are checked and there's is a chance they'll come. This can be in addition to normal stacking limits and can male a big difference. So for example you can have three units defending a hex under attack and two more may turn up to help the defense due to successful activations.

Reserve activation is random, so it may work, or not, and you do not know before hand if reserves will show up or not. The Germans have some high initiative leaders which helps a lots for activation rolls. The soviets leaders are less good but you can put more units in reserve mode.

Reserves are checked when defending but also when attacking. So you can get some extra units coming to help your attacks, if you're lucky. This can help break strong defensive positions

Mobile units are good as they have a lot of movement points and they can cover a wide front

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 3
RE: Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally fini... - 5/20/2013 12:56:11 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Oh okay. I think I understand it. Thanks :D

Sorry for such a dumb question

(in reply to Arstavidios)
Post #: 4
RE: Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally fini... - 5/20/2013 3:28:08 PM   
Arstavidios

The only dumb questions are the ones that are not asked

Post #: 5
RE: Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally fini... - 5/20/2013 5:35:04 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

When would I want to use this? I'm sorry.. just trying to figure when to activate it and when not to

(in reply to Arstavidios)
Post #: 6
RE: Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally fini... - 5/20/2013 6:51:10 PM   
Red Lancer

Try reading this thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3297174

It's detailed ninja stuff but you may find some nuggets that answer your questions.

John
WitW Test Co-ordinator
WitE & WitW Scenario Designer

Post #: 7
RE: Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally fini... - 5/20/2013 7:26:41 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: heyhellowhatsnew

When would I want to use this? I'm sorry.. just trying to figure when to activate it and when not to

I'll post the link to a collection of more than 70(!!!) FAQs and past threads a fellow gamer posted once as .txt file; I converted it into a .pdf.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56215959/A%20COLLECTION%20OF%20THE%20BEST%20WAR%20IN%20THE%20EAST%20POSTS.pdf

Klink, Oberst

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

Post #: 8
RE: Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally fini... - 5/21/2013 12:06:48 AM   
rosseau

Awesome, Oberst. Thanks.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Reserve mode? I don't understand and I finally finished reading the manual Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI