Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: A Speed of Light Cartoon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: A Speed of Light Cartoon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: A Speed of Light Cartoon - 5/16/2013 7:51:56 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Sent to me by a friend who reads my AAR:

http://xkcd.com/1212/

The Moose
Post #: 1
RE: OT: A Speed of Light Cartoon - 5/16/2013 9:43:04 PM   
LoBaron

Nice idea.

A bit unrelated, but reminds me of one of the most impressive flash animations I have ever seen:
The Scale of the Universe

Takes a while to understand what dimensions are shown here, more so if you are not used to it.

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: A Speed of Light Cartoon - 5/16/2013 11:38:57 PM   
RevRick

Thank you. The grandeur of the Universe is incomprehensible to the greater majority of humans. The frontier which stands before us is so wondrous, I cannot fathom for one instant the desire of some to deny the human urge to explore, and cast it as a waste of time, resources, and finances.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: A Speed of Light Cartoon - 5/17/2013 12:13:32 AM   
Symon

Utterly exquisite, isn't it Rev? How can one comprehend that and not wonder about a guiding hand? The spleandor, utter beauty, and sheer majesty of that corner of creation the we can "see" always makes me feel small and humble, perhaps because I believe there's so much more to see and understand just a little bit farther beyond..

I wouldn't worry much about homo sapiens. We're not even a blip on the cosmic radar. Heck, the dinosaurs lived 1000 times longer than we have, so far. And any species that invents politicians ain't going nowhere, nohow, anyway. We won't get there, but when we pass, the next species might, or when they pass, the next. But sooner or later good old Terra is gonna spread some genes out there and take part in whatever community happens to be hoppin at the moment. It's a great time to be alive, yeah?

JWE

Yippy Ki Yay

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: A Speed of Light Cartoon - 5/17/2013 12:43:18 AM   
Terminus

We're dust motes on the dust motes on the balls on an ant.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: A Speed of Light Cartoon - 5/17/2013 1:05:08 AM   
tocaff

Termi you have such a way with words.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: A Speed of Light Cartoon - 5/17/2013 3:29:35 PM   
Phanatik

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

We're dust motes on the dust motes on the balls on an ant.

An aunt really shouldn't have balls...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: A Speed of Light Cartoon - 5/17/2013 5:02:49 PM   
oldman45

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

Utterly exquisite, isn't it Rev? How can one comprehend that and not wonder about a guiding hand? The spleandor, utter beauty, and sheer majesty of that corner of creation the we can "see" always makes me feel small and humble, perhaps because I believe there's so much more to see and understand just a little bit farther beyond..

JWE

My "guiding hand" moment always came at sea after passing through a squall line and the sun blazes through the clouds. Storm clouds and rain all around you and for a few moments you would be in light. It was a breathtaking sight for me every time.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: A Speed of Light Cartoon - 5/17/2013 10:06:04 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45
My "guiding hand" moment always came at sea after passing through a squall line and the sun blazes through the clouds. Storm clouds and rain all around you and for a few moments you would be in light. It was a breathtaking sight for me every time.

Oh yeah, Oldman. There's times like that when Creation reveals itself; no words and no art can ever capture the splendor of it. It reaches down and grabs you at your core and says "damn, isn't this utterly cool?" And it leaves you with a philosophical moment that changes you forever. Sailors, like you, know exactly what I'm talking about. Maybe that's why they are demographically inclined to support deep space research and planetary exploration.

You ever been South of the equator? And seen the Magellanic Clouds, and wondered? ...

Oh, well. JWE

Yippy Ki Yay

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: A Speed of Light Cartoon - 5/18/2013 2:32:59 AM   
oldman45

We were on our way back from the Med with some time to spare and the old man was thinking about going over the equator since most of the crew never had the honor. Unfortunately we had a shipmate that had to be helo'd off because of an emergency and we had to sail toward the Azores. Funny story, the Air force would not fly out to pick him up due to time of day or some excuse so a Portuguese pilot flew out, handle bar mustache,leather flight jacket and to top it off what looked like a 50 mission crush hat from WWII. He did a couple of passes around the ship, got his bearing, flew in low with a basket and snacthed the young man and went on his way. The captain decided it would be better to head straight home so no shell backs for us. Oh well. One day I might just have to take a trip south.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: A Speed of Light Cartoon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI