What is this?

Matrix Games and Simulations Canada combine and completely remake two classic NATO vs. Warsaw Pact wargames into a new classic. Based on the original wargames “Main Battle Tank: North Germany” and “Main Battle Tank: Central Germany”, Flashpoint Germany is a new grand tactical wargame of modern combat. Every aspect of modern grand tactical warfare is included, from advanced armor, air and helicopters to chemical and tactical nuclear weapons. Step into the most dangerous war.. . that never was.

Moderators: IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

MikeAP

What is this?

Post by MikeAP »

So yeah...I'm a little frustrated right now. Just dished out $40 for the game. Loaded up the tutorial scenario. Started playing....then saw this...

The AI sent an entire Soviet Armored Battalion through dense, uphill woods all while maintaining a movement rating of 7 and 8.

Whats going on with this? [:-][:-][:-]

Attachments
WRONG.jpg
WRONG.jpg (187.25 KiB) Viewed 404 times
CapnDarwin

RE: What is this?

Post by CapnDarwin »

Mike,

It's been a few years since I delt with FPG, but here goes.
1. There is no impassible terrain in the game. Rivers will be bridged and forests and hills can be traversed.
2. I'm pretty sure that the movement rating on the counter is static and reflects best road rate. I'm also sure the time to traverse certain terrain varies based on the ease of movement.

I'll see if the head programmer remembers this evening and give more details if I find anything out.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
MikeAP

Post by MikeAP »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

1. There is no impassible terrain in the game. Rivers will be bridged and forests and hills can be traversed.

LOL!!! This is a wargame?

Well, it was my quickest uninstalled game of 2013. Enjoy the donation.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Sorry you feel that way. The game is well modeled at the 500m per hex level and the maps in FPG are more art then helpful for determining actual terrain composition. The effects of forested terrain are there. Movement is slowed way down and defensive cover and spotting difficulty are higher.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
MikeAP

Post by MikeAP »

the maps in FPG are more art then helpful for determining actual terrain

Wow....

Best of luck....
EchoOne

Post by EchoOne »

Mike,

Don't forgot that French general(s) once thought that Ardennes Forest is impassable. German armies decided to roll the dice, and then speedily maneuver around into the dense forest/rough terrain, and partially swamp. German 4th and 5th armies fought hard, and pushed French 3rd and 4th armies out from the forest. Don't assume that Soviet will not take that avenue of approach, you HAVE TO assume that Soviet WILL take it, and I can't help to notice that you move some of your units into the dense forest. US Army is well trained in an open battle and all their units are designed to fighting in an open battle and in long distance. Soviet have a numerical advantage against 11th ACR, and you have to using a right terrain and distance to fighting against Soviet horde, rather than to fighting in close quarter.

I'm sorry that you don't like FPG but I advise you to try it another round(s) Soviet will not take same avenue of approach every time I play it.

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I agree with you Mike. Flash Point Germany didn't do it for me either. So much so that I joined the development team to help redesign this game. That wasn't exactly the reason I was added but it's been the end result.

If you check my posts here on this forum you'll see that I didn't much care for the game either. I consider it to be extremely unrealistic for a number of reasons. Not important why here and if you are interested my posts are still here on the forum to be read. What I think is important is that the development team listened to what I wanted to be changed.

At this moment there is little to show the relationship between Flash Point Germany and Flash Point Campaigns except the name and the time frame. If you had asked us we would have told you NOT TO BUY Flash Point Germany as a prelude to playing Flash Point Campaigns. There is no common game play between the two.

Flash Point Germany has prettier graphics. I see in multiple posts where that is important to you. We spent our time working on the way the game plays. Your comments, that this is a cop out, is your opinion. What it is, from our point of view, is a compromise. We could continue adding tons of things including prettier graphics, at the expense of the game being released. Everything takes time to create and implement in a game. How long did you want to wait for this game for better graphics that can be modded by the customer base?

I've been playing wargames since 1971 and I've never seen the one I thought was perfect yet. They are all a compromise. If you can't make our compromises work buy another game. We all buy games that we want to play for one reason or another. We can't make every gamer happy. I just want you to know that I feel you pain about FPG. I don't feel your pain about FPC. That's just my opinion and it's worth exactly what you paid for it because where this game is concerned my opinion is biased.

We have worked hard at creating a construction set game for you guys. We even went to the lengths of creating a map editor that allows for maps to be made from anything from Google Earth to actual historical maps.

Changes to the series are so numerous it would take me hours to list them all. Here are the major ones.
- Hexes instead of squares.
- Active AI helo's. They will HUNT you if they are attack helo's. They will call fire from the FDC on you if they are observation helo's.
- NBC representation.
- Accurate OOB's selectable from the scenario editor.
- Scenario editor fully functional.
- Detailed ORBATS for units of the British, US, USSR and West German armies down to individual weapons systems.
- Realistic AAA and SAM resolution.
- Realistic CAS and Helo resolution.
- Cav/Recon unit special functions.
- Combat Engineering effects.
- Major and Minor river effects.
- Realistic pathing for units. With terrain being the determining factor of where an AI unit is sent and how.
- AI constantly checking for the best solution to control Victory Locations or exit from the map.
- FDC can direct fire for you or be turned off to allow you control of your artillery assets.
- Everything from full knowledge to full Fog of War.
- Realistic tactics work better in the game. Gaming the AI will get you losses.
- About 90% of the game is moddable. This will be important for customer issues, like graphics, that can be changed to fit a gamers wants/needs.
- FPG had 4 maps. FPC has 30 maps currently with one more in the works. Each scenario, except one, has it's own unique map. Each map was created using Google Earth for terrain and elevation accuracy. These maps are 100% functional not just pretty to look at.
- Dismounted infantry units as well as pure leg units are portrayed in the game.
- Mixed units, infantry and vehicles, take losses irrespective of each other. This can result in Mech infantry units without vehicles or without infantry at times.
- All ATGM, gun and armor factors were revised.
- Most importantly for me the series is being designed with extreme flexibility for other time frames to be added/modded as anyone will want to do. From WWII through far future conflicts. We have many expansions in mind. I'm sure the customers who buy the game will also have some ideas about where the game can go.
In short, FPG wasn't the game. FPC may be. It will be for me. Maybe it will be for you too. Take a close look and see before you judge it by FPG standards.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Having spent considerable time in West Germany it is my experience that the terrain depicted in both FPG and FPC, Central and Northern Germany, has little actual restricted terrain. There are forest trails everywhere. Further south is different.

From the Fulda Gap north it would be difficult to find a 500 meter area that wouldn't be accessible to military vehicles in a modern setting.

Maybe your experiences are different than mine.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Return to “FlashPoint Germany”