Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Port attacks and bombardments

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Port attacks and bombardments Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Port attacks and bombardments - 5/14/2013 1:23:31 PM   
zuluhour

Would someone have "links" to or care to explain:

1.) procedure / settings for spotter planes.
2.) procedure / settings for port attacks to occur.

ref. item#1: I have seen this mentioned and recall seeing it in anothers combat report in an AAR. I have used search/recon and never made it happen.
ref. item#2: If you want to stage a port attack ie. ships at anchor and the base port facilties, whats the procedure / settings for this to occur? I have sat in range of an enemy port for three days on with standard naval search settings ( in this current case 8-9 ACor 10%) with raiders on naval primary port secondary.
Post #: 1
RE: Port attacks and bombardments - 5/14/2013 1:42:47 PM   
dr.hal

#1 was detailed in a thread just the other day IIRC. You set your float planes to recon and click on the base or position to bombarded and then set the TF to bombard that hex... that does it for me. If the weather allows, the float planes should "spot". Make sure that you set for night if the mission is to happen at night (the default I believe). As for #2, when you say "port attacks" I can only assume you mean bombarding the port and its facilities right? You can not specifically target "ships at anchor" as they will be hit at random if there. It is the same as with an air bombing mission on a port, you hit ships there at random, but it can be quite effective to disrupt what they are doing.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 2
RE: Port attacks and bombardments - 5/14/2013 2:19:32 PM   
zuluhour

Thanks Dr Hal! I am confident I left out the time of day portion of the equation in relation to spotting. Part 2 referred to carrier port strikes. I unfortunately can no longer linger in my current position to test switching the attack ac to port (1st) and naval (2nd). Should i use some "recon" mode search for a carrier port attack as well?

ps My problem with the carrier port attacks is in the initiation of the strike itself.

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 5/14/2013 2:35:21 PM >

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 3
RE: Port attacks and bombardments - 5/14/2013 2:58:04 PM   
dr.hal

Your welcome. Reconning ANY target will always increase the effectiveness of your attack. Have some of your attack aircraft free from search and put on recon. Use the secondary mission if allowed (I think you can or if not you would need to put one group on recon with a secondary mission of port attack). The more you know about the target the more damage you do... As for getting the strike itself going, many factors go into that calculation, some in your control, such as morale of your groups, others such as weather, not within your control. So simply make sure the troops are happy with good leadership and you've done all you can do... Hal

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 4
RE: Port attacks and bombardments - 5/14/2013 4:26:47 PM   
zuluhour

again thanks, I am always greatful for the forum support here.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 5
RE: Port attacks and bombardments - 5/14/2013 9:46:03 PM   
inqistor

If you want to be sure to launch an ground attack, set it as Primary Mission. Naval Attack can cause weird results, like planes trying to attack target, but unable to find it, and not making any mission at all.

Remember, that planes can not strike, when they consider enemy CAP too strong. And finally - sea bombardment also hits ships in port.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 6
RE: Port attacks and bombardments - 5/14/2013 11:09:37 PM   
Schanilec

Also bombardments and air attacks on ports help take down those pesky coastal defense guns.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Port attacks and bombardments Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI