Ships preferring deep water

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Sieppo

Ships preferring deep water

Post by Sieppo »

What's with almost every ship type preferring deep water instead of shallower by default? It is a pain in the ass trying to avoid submarines with waypoints every time. The game does not simulate ships hitting the bottom so why would not choose shallower water when subs are around as in everywhere in the Pacific.
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
geofflambert

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by geofflambert »

I've wondered that too. Perhaps it avoids accidental damage from groundings, being driven ashore by squalls etc.. Is such incidental damage more likely in shallow water game-wise?

sprior

Post by sprior »

Because people in ships generally shy away from land unless it's their destination.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: sprior

Because people in ships generally shy away from land unless it's their destination.

They also have this strange distaste for torpedoes.

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

What's with almost every ship type preferring deep water instead of shallower by default? It is a pain in the ass trying to avoid submarines with waypoints every time. The game does not simulate ships hitting the bottom so why would not choose shallower water when subs are around as in everywhere in the Pacific.

You know there's a Coastal routing choice, right?
The Moose
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Isn't that only on the beta patch?

sprior

Post by sprior »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

True, but navigating close to shores with out of date charts is no fun at all.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

CHARTS ?!? I DON'T NEEN NO DAMN CHARTS! I just hit the button for Warp factor 8 and go!

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

You should remember that USN refused to support horrible Buna-Gona battle, because danger of ship grounding. This left relatively green US Div without artillery support (they could not land artillery or heavy equipment).

Navies generally shun away from coral reefs, for good reason.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

d0mbo

Post by d0mbo »

But you are wrong here. I've had a ship hitting a rock and I remember a forum poster losing a CV because its bottom was ripped off due to a sharp rock......

Doesn't happen a lot though, but still ;)

Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

This is my point also.. But maybe they prefer torpedoes over groundings...
> A diamond?
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

My point is that being close to shore in shallow water is no place to be. Unless unavoidable. It's maritime tradition and realistic.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: d0mbo

But you are wrong here. I've had a ship hitting a rock and I remember a forum poster losing a CV because its bottom was ripped off due to a sharp rock......

Doesn't happen a lot though, but still ;)

Damn, this would explain some mysterious damages i have encountered on my freighters from time to time..
> A diamond?
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

One more reason why I can't wait for the official patch.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

One more reason why I can't wait for the official patch.

You may be waiting forever. The betas are stable as can be. You're missing out on a huge amount of stuff if you eschew them.
The Moose
Cerion

Post by Cerion »

You may be waiting forever. The betas are stable as can be. You're missing out on a huge amount of stuff if you eschew them.

Exactly, not worth waiting since the betas added many interesting features and, in most cases, are as stable as the official patches. Do not miss them.
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

My recollection is that in the game, don't subs have some kind of advantage in shallow water? Ships are less maneuverable, or something like that that makes them more susceptible to torpedo attack in shallows? Can't find it in the Manual, though. Maybe discussed in a post?

I know that subs themselves are at a disadvantage when diving to escape in shallow water (6.7 in the Manual).
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Ever hear of Battleship Espana? Or HMS Frobisher? Both ripped their bottoms out between the wars. How about USS Guardian? It became a permanent part of the reef in the Phillipines earlier this year. Or the Point Hondo naval disaster? Seven Destroyers played follow the leader up onto the rocks.

Warships don't do good on land. Land had rocks, which do nasty things to steel hulls. Plus ships can't manever , can't go fast and CV's can't launch aircraft, which makes them VERY vulnerable.
[:)]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I'd rather dodge a torpedo doing 30kts in a wide seaway , then face one at 5kts in a restricted channel.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

True, but navigating close to shores with out of date charts is no fun at all.

Ask the former commanding officer of USS Guardian. [X(][:(]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”